Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-09, 10:37 PM   #1
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default hook sets

hey fellas,
i am new to the forum, i was just wonderin what i can do to get better hook sets.
when fishin a rattle trap, crank bait, top water or spinner bait, i usually have decent hook sets. but when fishin a worm i loose a lot of fish when i get them half way to the boat. could it be the line im using(10 lb mono), am i not waiting long enough, or am i just not puttin enough into it?
i fish in SC, so we fish a lot of docks on the lakes around here if that helps any.

thanks,

-spro

Last edited by fishin spro; 02-11-09 at 11:15 PM.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 10:50 PM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well welcome and i live in SC too.... first you might be setting it too early make sure they have it.... this will come with time.... also you can really set the hook as hard as you want to with worms unlike crankbaits..... just dont set the hook on the first tap... when they get the whole thing in their mouth just unload on them..... Just wondering do you fish Clarks Hill and Murray or do you live somewhere else
Old 02-11-09, 10:55 PM   #3
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
well welcome and i live in SC too.... first you might be setting it too early make sure they have it.... this will come with time.... also you can really set the hook as hard as you want to with worms unlike crankbaits..... just dont set the hook on the first tap... when they get the whole thing in their mouth just unload on them..... Just wondering do you fish Clarks Hill and Murray or do you live somewhere else
thanks for the advice...i will try waiting a little later

i live in sumter,
i fish with a local club here in sumter, and we fish both of those places...we are fishing murray this month and clarks hill in april...got any tips u wanna share about either of em?

-spro

Last edited by fishin spro; 02-11-09 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 10:56 PM   #4
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome spro. I would reccomend going up on line size to at least 12# test and a rod of med/heavy action or maybe switch to a braided line. As for hooksets I would set the hook hard and fast.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 11:14 PM   #5
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu4600 View Post
Welcome spro. I would reccomend going up on line size to at least 12# test and a rod of med/heavy action or maybe switch to a braided line. As for hooksets I would set the hook hard and fast.
on my baitcasters i use 14 lb test or 20 lb braid on medium action rods

but my worm rods i use medium action spinning rods with 10 lb...i may change to 12 lb like u said.
thanks

-spro
Old 02-11-09, 11:27 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I know I used to put too much in to the hookset, at least I think that was the problem because I don't loose as many fish. I used to cross their Is and dot their Ts, and I would have bruises on my stomach from my 5-11 o'clock hooksets. My buddy kept working with me and taught me to drop the rod tip about a foot at the first indication, and then give it a 3-4 hour movement from my starting point and a quick and hard snap . My hooksets have improved 2 fold since I calmed down my Tyson hooksets. But that's just me, everyone has their own .02. I still revert sometimes because bad habits are to break though.
Old 02-12-09, 12:54 AM   #7
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
hey fellas,
i am new to the forum, i was just wonderin what i can do to get better hook sets.
when fishin a rattle trap, crank bait, top water or spinner bait, i usually have decent hook sets. but when fishin a worm i loose a lot of fish when i get them half way to the boat. could it be the line im using(10 lb mono), am i not waiting long enough, or am i just not puttin enough into it?
i fish in SC, so we fish a lot of docks on the lakes around here if that helps any.

thanks,

-spro
What helped me was #1. Make sure your hooks are sharp. #2 Use bigger hooks.
I use the biggest hook I feel I can get away with. Usually a#5.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 02:40 AM   #8
wareagledc

i was pushing my hook to far into the worm when texas rigging i learned to just barely stick it in the skin.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 07:04 AM   #9
crankybait

As love of the sport said, sharp hooks are a MUST. Are your hooks dull?
Old 02-12-09, 07:50 AM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
thanks for the advice...i will try waiting a little later

i live in sumter,
i fish with a local club here in sumter, and we fish both of those places...we are fishing murray this month and clarks hill in april...got any tips u wanna share about either of em?

-spro

wow.. i'm about 20 minutes away.. my best friend lives closer.. and i practictly live with him.. were in sumter like every day i'm there

what fishing club?
Old 02-12-09, 04:11 PM   #11
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
wow.. i'm about 20 minutes away.. my best friend lives closer.. and i practictly live with him.. were in sumter like every day i'm there

what fishing club?
i fish with sportsmans bass anglers

what is your name?
Old 02-12-09, 06:16 PM   #12
cassidyta

I may have over looked this as an answer, but how are you rigging the worms? I have found that the amount of time I have to wait is different between a T-rig and a C-rig.
Old 02-12-09, 06:20 PM   #13
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

You could try up grading you mono to braid for fishing worms!! Not only will you get better will you get better hook set, you will get a much better feel of what's going on on the other end of the line--the bass end! If you do braid then get 30lb power pro. 30lb my be seem like a LOT but braid has a much thinner diameter than mono, I think 30lb Ppro has the diameter of 6lb or 8lb mono, so you'll also get more casting distance!! And if it could not get better than that, braid has near 0 stretch! You'll not have to drive the hook home when you set it--because of the 0 stretch.

When using braid, you'll feel better, so you'll have to say "set the hook not so hard" before, before you, set the hook! With mono, you, just say "set the hook hard."

When using a crank bait/lip-less crank bait, don't use a heavy action rod, use one that has a lot of give. When setting it, just do a side sweep, not a hark hook set like you would with a worm. 10lb should be fine!

Fore help with the hook set, check this out!

http://www.bassfishin.com/articles/fishing-line-guide/ C/P from article:

Why not fluorocarbon or braid?

Fluorocarbon is often a poor choice for spinnerbaits because it sinks. Because fluorocarbon sinks, it is very hard to keep the spinnerbait up near the surface of the water on long casts. You don't want bass to get a good look at the bait, and that's why keeping it up near the surface is usually important and why fluorocarbon isn't the proper choice unless you purposely want to keep your bait low in the water column.
Braid is also a poor choice for spinnerbaits because it's very visible to bass. You can get away with braid in dirtier water, but because spinnerbaits have exposed hooks you don't need braid to drive the hooks home. A powerful hookset with monofilament will suffice. Braid also has a very thin diameter, which can be just as hard to keep up in the water column for a shallow running presentation.

I thought mono was better because it stretched?

Monofilament was long used for crankbaits because it stretched and helped not pull the trebles out of the fish's mouth on hooksets and fish fighting. While this was certainly a benefit, most anglers these days know that using a medium-action rod with a soft tip will give the fish the play it needs to not pull the hooks out. With the proper rod, you can get away with the low-stretch that Fluorocarbon exhibits.
The "sink" factor:

Besides the "invisibility" factor, fluorocarbon sinks and will make your crankbaits run 1-3+ feet deeper than with monofilament. This is a massive benefit. Fluorocarbon is some of the most abrasion-resistant line on the market as well, so working baits around rocks, zebra mussels, etc. is good with this line.

Don't I need braid for ripping it free of grass?

In thick enough grass, you can get away with using braid and it will work well, however in most cases, fluorocarbon is the better choice because it still has low enough stretch to rip it free of weeds, but still some give if a big fish makes a run at the boat. Again, it's invisibility is a big plus as well.

Should I stick with the heavier lines here?

Absolutely. Flipping baits are synonymous with thick cover, so favor the upper-end of the line sizes in the ranges we recommend. You need the power to set the hook, get the fish moving out of the cover, and to flip them in the boat. You need strength and power.
Is there a preference for braid?

We think there should be a slight preference for braid in most circumstances for flipping baits. Thick cover lends itself to the fact that you can get away with very heavy line without spooking fish. And nothing is more important than knowing you can get the fish out of thick brush or weeds the moment after you set the hook. Braid on a flipping reel is a powerful winch that big bass can't contend with. This is exactly what you are looking for with these baits.

Low-Visibility and Low-Stretch is the name of the game:

The shaky head is a finesse technique when you are required to slow down and pick apart a smaller area. If there was one technique that fluorocarbon was made for, it's shaky head fishing. Base your line size choice on two factors, how thick the cover is, and how clear the water is.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-12-09, 07:03 PM   #14
bcklash

Welcome fishing spro -- trial and error -- you'll learn
Old 02-12-09, 07:53 PM   #15
bamabassman

welcome bait monkey fodder. as you have already seen...there are a lot of folks here to help ya out. ask anything ya need, someone will help ya out.
Old 02-12-09, 09:33 PM   #16
Bassboss

I found this video on Anglers tube.

http://anglerstube.com/view/7/bass-f...g-for-dumbies/
Old 02-14-09, 11:09 PM   #17
Tall

I have not watched the video yet, so I don't know what is on it but what helped me was when a buddy that fishes a lot of tournys and paid to be in the boat with the pros told me when fishing with him to set the hook with a side sweep not the up in the air I was doing. If you have a lot of line out you can get a much longer pull and hook set by sweeping side ways on the set. I try to do it that way all the time now when c-rig and t-rig. That has seemed to help me on a better hook set.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 01:20 AM   #18
fishin spro

thanks for all the good advice fellas,

i am sure it will take some getting used too, but i am gonna try to switch to the side sweep.
Old 02-15-09, 10:09 AM   #19
woody

Welcome to the forum.

...good question and answers...

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 09:25 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

when setting the hook on a jig or worm try this. when you lower the rod to reel out the slack to set the hook, leave just a little slack in your line. don't leave a whole lot of slack, just a little bit. this does 2 things. first off if will give you hookset a little more penetration. imagine me trying to pull a rope out of your hands, if i put a little slack in the rope i can pull it out of your hands easier than if i would leave it tight and pull. the second thing it does is reduces the chances of the fish feeling any pressure you may cause by reeling up too much slack, thus making it less likely that the fish will spit the worm out.

i know a lot of guys who swear you don't have to do this with mono but i do it all the time and it really helps me out. i fish with guys all the time who reel all the way down on a fish before setting the hook and they keep wondering why the fish is spitting the bait out.
Old 02-16-09, 12:06 AM   #21
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, spro!

I think I see your problem-it is not the hook, line, or hookset-I think it is your rods. You said you use a M action-I don't throw a bait I have to make an active hookset-worm, jig, etc.-on anything less than a MH action. A M action just doesn't have the backbone for a good hookset whth those kind of baits. A stiffer rod just might solve the problem.
Old 02-16-09, 12:39 AM   #22
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Welcome to the forum, spro!

I think I see your problem-it is not the hook, line, or hookset-I think it is your rods. You said you use a M action-I don't throw a bait I have to make an active hookset-worm, jig, etc.-on anything less than a MH action. A M action just doesn't have the backbone for a good hookset whth those kind of baits. A stiffer rod just might solve the problem.
While I see the logic behind this and in makes sense for sure, I use a medium action for plastics with no problems at all.

Last edited by Love of the Sport; 02-16-09 at 12:59 AM.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 12:46 AM   #23
wareagledc

at the moment i do to but i have to do a tv show style monster hook set to make it work.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 08:17 AM   #24
bcklash

Bassboss thanks for the website
Old 02-16-09, 06:43 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Bassboss thanks for the website
No prob! I just found it when I posted the link, I was looking a random videos when I came across that, I thought I would help spro out, so I posted it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.