Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-05, 12:52 AM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Could have watched for hours

I started working at an apartment complex last week as a maintenance man. This complex sits right next to a local lake that I fish alot and has a park right on the lake where residents and employees can fish if they want. Well, today my supervisor comes back from lunch telling me that he rode to the park to check the trash and noticed two bass swimming right next to the bank. They kept swimming back and forth and darting after bream that were stationed nearby. I told him that they were more than likely gaurding a bed and chasing the bream away so they couldn't get the eggs. He knows I love to fish and took me down to see and sure enough. There were 2 bass just swimming back and forth and chasing bream away like crazy. There were about 30 bream just gathered around waiting for the opportunity to get in them nests, but the bass weren't letting them in. I coud have just sat and watched for hours. I know I could probably carry me a lizard down there and catch one after playing with it for an hour, but I don't want to give those bream a chance to get those eggs while I have the bass out messing with it. I like giving them a chance to multiply so my kids can enjoy them when it is there turn.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 01:00 AM   #2
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261
Default Re: Could have watched for hours

Amen brother! good choice.

;D

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 06:13 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i find something like this i grab my fly rod and pick off the brim. they are a sucker for a steel head egg fly at this time.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 09:34 PM   #4
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Bassbooger,
I know what ya mean about being able to watch it for hours! Yesterday I saw a male bass constructing and protecting his bed and chasing away any bluegill and small bass he saw. This is the first time I have ever witnessed anything like this, especially in this little state park lake that I fish in all the time.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 06:28 AM   #5
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I saw the exact same thing today! I walked up on a 4-6 lb. female guarding her nest, and chasing the bluegill off. I left the bedding bass alone and fished elsewhere, I caught about 15 dinks and this keeper.....
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 06:47 AM   #6
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice fish. I thought the males always stayed and gaurded the nests ???

Maybe I'm wrong, oh well..
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 05:25 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I know what y'all mean. It is fascinating to watch stuff like that. I had a similar situation a couple of years back. At first I was going to try to catch the bass until I realized what they were doing. So, I sat down and just watched them for a half hour or so. Really enjoyed it, too.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-05, 07:03 AM   #8
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

[quote author=bassbooger link=board=MessBoards;num=1113969158;start=0#5 date=04/23/05 at 05:47:58]Nice fish. Â*I thought the males always stayed and gaurded the nests Â*???

Maybe I'm wrong, oh well..[/quote]

The female will guard the nest for a short period of time after she lays her eggs.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.