Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-08, 01:50 PM   #1
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing Seasons...

Okay, so I'm looking at all of you guys talking about going out fishing or that you are currently fishing (and hate it). Well, up here in the north we have ICE and can't really bass fish now. By the end of March start of April we should have open water. So, Michigan "bass" season is as: Catch and release - All Lower Peninsula lakes including the Great Lakes; Last Saturday in April to the Friday before Memorial Day. Lake St. Clair, St. Clair River, Detroit River; Last Sat. in April - Fri. before the 3rd Saturday in June. After those dates you can keep your fish. Season ends the 31st of December.

As you can see, we don't get to fish much up here. What type of seasons do you guys have? In the south? West? East? North? Just wondering.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 01:57 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

I'm sorry, MIbasser...What's this word "season" mean? I've heard it in relation to deer, turkey, dove, etc, but never bass...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 01:59 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

we live below the great lakes and theres no season per say, however most bass anglers can get out by late march n fish up till end of nov.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 02:01 PM   #4
WTL

Down here you can bass fish year round, but that doesn't mean there arent seasons. From january till late feb its jack salmon season, which is a local term for sauger - they congregate below the dams and many anglers fish for them. Also spring has crappie, late spring panfish and then the mayfly hatch sometime around june or july which brings bream and bass to the surface for the flyrod. Then in july sometime people start nightfishing and they will continue untill it gets chilly. Then we watch football. Life is good.
Old 03-05-08, 05:06 PM   #5
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Not sure I could live without bass fishing!! Year around here. I have no idea what snow and ice are (well ice is for drinks). I have been out at least 3 to 5times a month all year. What do you do with your boats if you can not use them??
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 05:13 PM   #6
pignjig

Very few lakes in VA. ice up...over? We get some cold spells but not as bad as ya'll get. There's no season, as far as when we can or cannot fish (except in special protected areas). So, it ain't Fla. but we can pretty much fish all year-- especially for smallies in the James and New rivers. Sorry to see ya'll just got nailed again... Winter bites, amigo mio...

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 08:12 PM   #7
Rebbasser

No seasons as such here, either. The water rarely gets below 50 even in the dead of winter, so we fish year round.
Old 03-05-08, 08:23 PM   #8
zooker

season what is did here fishin season thingy???

rat
they park them covered with all kinds of tarps. then go shovel-oh the pain- snow off them all winter..

they can not use the boats as the water is frozen over so they haul there modified port-a-johns out on the ice with there trucks-yeah i said trucks- and fish from them all winter.. which for some of these guys last from october to may.. or as the old sayin goes "we only have 3 months of rough snow boardin eh??"

zooker
Old 03-05-08, 08:34 PM   #9
MIbasser

Zooker, that was great!! And yes, I've been in a truck on the ice.. We just got 10" of snow last night.. so much for an early spring!
Old 03-05-08, 11:08 PM   #10
bamabassman

well i differ from other in bama, haha. i don't really go fishing till march ( now) and fish as much as i can till it gets too cold for me. i don't do 40 degrees, brrrrrr!! lol
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:48 PM   #11
bassinbob

As soon as the ice is gone and it warms up to at least 50. InEccess talked me into going the end of March as he has a tourny and wants to prefish. I went in Feb. a couple of years ago, there was a warming spell. I got a lot of new baits I want to try out. Gonna try some serious jigging this spring.
Old 03-06-08, 10:56 AM   #12
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I'm sure our trip to the little lake in Dover had nothing at all to do with your jig jones, BassinBob. As soon as the water thaws, I can't wait to tie on the new paddletail swimbaits I got over the winter and see if the yankee bass will be as tight jawed with these as they are with the Chatterbait.
Old 03-06-08, 11:42 AM   #13
rodman rat

OK, Stupid! I know, but it is killing me to know! If your boats are cover in snow for months out of the year how do you keep gas, oil or motor from freezing?? What special things do you have to do to get it ready to fish in spring??
Old 03-06-08, 11:49 AM   #14
basschick
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey MIBasser, I know your pain! I'm from White Pigeon MI. I can't believe how long it takes for bass season to get here! I was thinking the other day that I would partially fill that void up with musky, only to find out that their season is about the same. Ice fishing can only do so much. I have been practicing my casting in the snow, practicing my knots and rigging, and reading what I can on here. Can't say I'm not a little jealous of the recent pics.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 12:11 PM   #15
MIbasser

Rodman,
We put gas stabilizer in the tank, sucks up the moisture. We then do a winterization to the engines. Outboard (never owned one) is much easier so I've heard. Water drains out, change the oil, fog the cylinders and for the most part good to go. With and IO it's a little different. Some guys will run their motors in antifreeze (water cooled engine), or blow the water out. change oil, and fog the engine. We usually just took ours to the marina and had them do it ($250+) We had a carb so you would spray till the engine bogged down. In the spring I would change the pugs, charge the batter and be good to go. Oh, store the batteries inside all winter... -10 below zero can kill them....
Old 03-06-08, 04:58 PM   #16
rodman rat

Thanks for the info! Now I know I want to stay in florida. Never have to put the boat up!
Old 03-06-08, 06:13 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman rat View Post
Thanks for the info! Now I know I want to stay in florida. Never have to put the boat up!

he did not mention chasing out the vermin but trust me rats/mice LOVE boats in winter storage..

zooker
Old 03-06-08, 07:14 PM   #18
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

I feel your pain MIbasser. I live in Tawas City, MI and Im going nuts right now, this website isn't helping either with all the talk about fishing.
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 04:53 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

km, hang in there. Ice out will come soon. Maybe help that cabin fever by taking a trip "someplace" with the bait monkey.

BB
Old 03-08-08, 12:11 PM   #20
bothomas

ok...ok... if this makes you northern guys feel better...here it is... This morning in North Alabama we had 1" of snow. so .....I didn't go fishing this morning... I would hate to have a whole "season" I couldn't go fishing..haha we fish year round here too... some days are cold in the morning, but so bad we can't get out.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 03:49 PM   #21
bamabassman

ditto bothomas, watched it all morning. and it ain't getting above 35 degrees today. tired of the darn cold!! but it is gonna warm up this coming week. yeeehaaaaa!!! lol. spring is a coming !!!! i will be fishing soon. sorry for the folks up
Old 03-08-08, 03:50 PM   #22
bamabassman

there in the north. but come south and go fishing with us guys.
Old 03-09-08, 09:37 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
ok...ok... if this makes you northern guys feel better...here it is... This morning in North Alabama we had 1" of snow. so .....I didn't go fishing this morning... I would hate to have a whole "season" I couldn't go fishing..haha we fish year round here too... some days are cold in the morning, but so bad we can't get out.
1" huh? We just had a freakin' blizzard. 6-7" up here, but farther south in ohio, they had up to 20" i bet all of Alabamam freaked out and didn't know what to do in that itty-bitty 1".

BB
Old 03-09-08, 10:05 PM   #24
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I can picture the paper headlines....

Freak Blizzard Hits Northern Alabama, Millions Without Power, Stores Closed, Estimated 10 Dead/Injured...

Hahaha...

-Lunk-
Old 03-10-08, 10:10 AM   #25
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
I can picture the paper headlines....

Freak Blizzard Hits Northern Alabama, Millions Without Power, Stores Closed, Estimated 10 Dead/Injured...

Hahaha...

-Lunk-

Thats funny cause it's not entirely untrue.
I lived in Wyoming when i was just a small lad and we walked to school in what they would refer to down here as a blizzard.

Usually i can tell the bad weather is coming(i.e. possible tornados,hurricanes,or blizzard)when i go to the local grocery store an it's sold out of milk and bread.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.