Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-05, 06:32 PM   #1
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie
Default Do they forget?

Do bass forget what baits they saw and when they were caught? If yes, how long does it take them to forget? Thanks

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Clay
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:37 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Do they for get?

if the water isnt heavily fished they ''forget''.....but if the water is heavily fished....its not so much they know its a lure....because they dont...but they are wary and only hit baits they know and they have eatin before....i.e bluegill 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:11 PM   #3
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Do they forget?

but i've caught bass that have about 3 hook marks in them and they still keep hitting.
Old 06-21-05, 08:04 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I've caught the same fish twice within an hour on the same bait. It took a hook deep so I had to cut the hook off. The hook I cut off was there when I unhooked it. It was in a tank that doesn't get fished very often, so that was probably why. In heavily fished water I agree with 02.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 08:05 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

3 hook marks is not even close to what some bass go to.......a bass with 3 hook marks is vert UNDER FISHED. im talkin bass that have been caught many times....they will stay skiddish....a bass thats got 3 hook marks in them will almost hit anything....i know that the bass has been caught more then that....cause you cant see alot of marks but still very insignificant.....
Old 06-21-05, 08:11 PM   #6
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to GotBass

i agree with BF02

i fished a 30 acre pond for a few years and it was kept on the DL for the most part. after time, more people found it and it became fished so heavily that it was hard to find a spot on shore to fish from, and if you took a boat out you were bound to run over someone's line. It was all catch and release fishing. this year so far, after 4 years of that heavy fishing, they won't even take a live night crawler, minnow, or crawdad (those are the baits most people used).
a lot of times, i just resort to using something rediculously stupid, like those bart simpson topwaters. and believe it or not, i have caught some nice fish when NOTHING else would work.
Old 06-21-05, 09:23 PM   #7
kadida
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kadida

I think as much as any reason above it depends on the fish. Some fish are just more aggresive than others and are more likely to be caught over and over again. I guessing that there are alot of fish in our lakes today and even the most pressured waters that are very hard to fool. These fish may never be caught by an angler.

I doubt there are many in the 4+ pound range fish that will be continueously caught and released. Most of the fish that are boated time and time again are smaller fish in the 6-14 inch range.

I know they had a few "tagged" fish at Wawasee, here in Indiana, a few years back that they follow thru electronics. From what I read a few of the fish were caught and released almost every tourney and some never made it to the scales. The ones that were caught time and time again were probadly so aggresive they would fall for any lure they seen.
kadida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 09:34 PM   #8
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

I heard from a very good source that bass remeber with the same eye they saw the lure with, cause the eyes have memory centers on each side of the brain for both eyes, and are separate. So if the bass saw the lure with its right eye, got hooked and realesded, then saw the same lure with his left eye, he would have no memory of being hooked on that lure.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 10:55 PM   #9
Tm_Customs

If they "forget" or not is a debatable subject. Â*Will they eat again same bait same place YES Â*look at this page the 2 fish 4.2 4.1 are the same fish same place 4 days apart.

http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/1
Old 06-21-05, 10:58 PM   #10
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

ok cool that answers my question i guess. man Tm_Customs!! You have alot of good water to fish!!! Where is it? ;D
Old 06-21-05, 11:06 PM   #11
Tm_Customs

NJ I live in Ca, not So Cal but Nor. Cal we catch alot of 5+ fish here. Â*I have fished NJ quite abit my moms family lives there. Â*If you get a chance to go to the College of NJ and fish the back lake senkos are deadly there I have cought 50+ in a day mostly 1lbers but a few 4's. Â*The Delaware river is the best place I have ever fish for smallies I have cought them over 4 there and my uncle cought a 7.1 so that place is killer.

Tight Lines
Old 06-21-05, 11:12 PM   #12
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

I live right on the delaware river and have yet to smallie it!
Old 06-21-05, 11:14 PM   #13
Tm_Customs

I just fished off the bank mostly used tubes and lizards your missing out!
Old 06-22-05, 02:27 PM   #14
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

its fact the a fish takes 15 minutes to forget after it is pulled out of the water.
Old 06-22-05, 02:50 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i have caught the same fish i just caught within 5 minutes of catching and releasing it....i know this cause it had a scar on his side......so if they didnt forget he just wanted to go for another ride lol
Old 06-23-05, 02:29 AM   #16
Tm_Customs

Jordan I dont belive that, and if it is ture alot of times it will take longer than 15 minutes for a fish to wear off the shock of the catch.

NJ go back to my album and look on the second page I cought that fish again today!

I have also cought the same fish just a few minutes apart but always on beds!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.