Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-05, 09:50 PM   #1
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Well Fellas Its here the week of the midnight bite

Full moon is this week, its been hot as hell here lately so all this week I'll be fishing every night this week looking for the topwater midnight bite. I've been stocking up my nighttime lure supply, got some black and purple buzzbaits of various sizes/clackers/buzzers, black spooks, jitterbugs, 10" black floating worms. I'll be reporting my location, catch, and technique each night. Each night will be a different lake. If you make any night fishing trips this week, feel free to post it, but we don't want to hear about sunlight fed girly fishing trips in here.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:09 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Well Fellas Its here the week of the midnight

Rob, you read my mind! Saturday I hit wheeler lake for a nightfishing trip, my first pure nightfishing excursion. The crazy boaters really tore up the lake in the day, but I still gave one boater with a tube a gallon of gas cause they ran out and it was getting dark. Anyways I caught 3, 2 on a tiki stick and 1 swimming a jig along a riprap bank. Not great action, but like I said it was a madhouse during the day. If it doesn't rain tomorow I'll hit G'ville from around 4:45 - 11, I'll post how I do if I do anything worth posting.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:22 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

next week i should be doing some night fishin...im headin to north florida(cheifland to be exact) and its near the suwannee river....my cousin is 17 and hes got a truck...and we are buying a jon boat...and were heading to the rock pitts first then maybe the suwannee. so we will most likely if not next week sometime in the near future be doing some 9P.M.-3 A.M. trips......(powerbass....is it possible to have that jitterbug soon....and i doubt you will be able to get it here by this weekend....so im gunna have to PM you the addy to the house i'll be at......just PM me and let me know the status on it)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 11:21 PM   #4
Tm_Customs

I am gonna give it a try too, mabey a jitterbug!
Old 06-21-05, 12:07 AM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Just to make things interesting, 3 of the 5 nights, I'll be fishing a body of water on the list of Top 10 Florida Bass Locations, they'll include Rodman Reservoir, Lake George, and the St. Johns River. There are also 2 other lakes in the Ocala National Forest that I'll be fishing, I won't disclose their name or location, just that they're in the Ocala National Forest. Anyway, the fish will be biting soon, heading out to one of the lakes in the ONF tonight. Should be back around 4am to report the action. ONF lake tonight, Rodman tomorrow, Lake George Wednesday, St. Johns Thursday, and back in the forest Friday. There won't be any pictures unless its over 10 pounds.
Old 06-21-05, 12:13 AM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lets hope for pics then 8)
Old 06-21-05, 05:05 AM   #7
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default The Misquitos bit more than the bass

but that's not to say the bass weren't biting. I landed 10-15 fish, lost track after about 8. Most were under 3 lbs, couple 4 pounders. One fish with a nice chunk taken out of his side, healed over, prolly a small gator or animal bite from long ago. Prolly had close to 30 bites, missed quite a few on the short strike. Used the buzzbaits and jitterbugs. The only thing they would bite was the small buzz baits with a fast retrieve. Hope to take pics tomorrow night. Misquitos were BAD. I'd make a cast, real in, then wipe down my arms and legs, cast, real, wipe down arms and legs, repeat. The trail ride to the lake is SO MUCH more FUN at night.
Old 06-21-05, 11:00 PM   #8
Tm_Customs

Rodman Rob whay wont you take a pic of a fish under 10? 5-6-7-8's there all big fish just seems kinda dumb
Old 06-21-05, 11:11 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

if im on the boat i dont pull the camera out for bass unless its over 8lb.......its just not worth it to fool around with...i will catch fish of that size again.....just my preference tho....
Old 06-22-05, 03:01 AM   #10
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

The fish scared me all night long. I'm tired, its late, I'll have to give the details in the morning............it is the morning............later this morning. I caught bigguns though up at Rodman.
Old 06-22-05, 11:27 AM   #11
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

3/8 oz all black booyah buzzbait w/clacker was the weapon of choice last night. Â*Fished the pool at Rodman along the dam. Â*Tried to stay as close as possible to the original river channel. Â*Had some BIG fish NAILING the buzzbait last night. Â*When you're somewhere like rodman at night, its already a spooky place, through in snakes and gators and it will scare you a little more. Â*Now add a big bass hitting the top of the water literally just a few feet away, well I almost peed myself. Â*Sounded like a gator coming outta the water after me. Â*I didn't get a great look at the fish, being dark and all, but he appeared to be in the 5-8 pound range. Â*He hit the lure, and I had him hooked all of about 3 seconds before he beached himself on some rocks, did a flop, spit the lure, and swam away. Â*Caught 4 others, all under 3 pounds. Had many more hits/short strikes. Fish are far less accurate hitting a lure like a buzz bait without any light, I've seen at least 3 times as many short strikes the last 2 nights than what I typically get, and yes, I'm using trailer hooks. Â*Misquitos were 10 times worse than the night before, and that was with bug spray. Â*The bug spray kept them from biting, but not from swarming, and definately didn't keep them from entering my nose/mouth/lungs. Â*I hate them damn bugs. Â*Hope I can find the energy to go out tonight.
Old 06-22-05, 11:31 AM   #12
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Tm_Customs link=board=MessBoards;num=1119315054;start=0#7 date=06/21/05 at 22:00:04]Rodman Rob whay wont you take a pic of a fish under 10? Â*5-6-7-8's there all big fish just seems kinda dumb[/quote]

I've caught enough fish that I'm not worried about that size. I'm not much of a picture person anyway. Rather save my film, time, and energy on something worthwhile.
Old 06-22-05, 03:10 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

rodman, you should those thermacell mosquito repeller things....we have one and works like a charm...not expensive either...... 8)
Old 06-22-05, 06:02 PM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

thermacell? not familar with it, or any other misquito products, other than deep woods off. Is the thermacell one of those green coils that burn? If I go out tonight (if it quits raining) I'm gonna bring a few of the coils with me. Where is this thermacell sold? After scratching my arms and legs the last 2 days from all the night bites, I'm gonna take anything I can.
Old 06-22-05, 06:40 PM   #15
prokidfishermen16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to prokidfishermen16

had a great week of night fishing

2 words for you zara spook

prokidfishermen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 06:41 PM   #16
prokidfishermen16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to prokidfishermen16

i give the pistol pete garuntee that lure murders em once the lights go out
prokidfishermen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 07:07 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

rodman rob
chief i fish/hunt the coastal regions of nc were skeeters come in 3 sizes big, bigger, buzzard. i use the thremo cell device it cost like 30 bucks and refills are 6-8 bucks i got mine at walmart. the first time i seen one i thought no way. but dam if it don't work and work real well. i forgot what kind of boat you have but i would place this device around your casting area-do not place on the carpet-it does give out a bit of heat but keeps every single skeeter out about 6 feet from you. it runs on butane and these funny waffer things. that last 8-10 hours. since i was given one by my girl friend i have bought 2 more.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 09:26 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

yup....but we got ours for $20 at BPS.......we were duck hunting once and there was a blanket of skeeters just swarming us.......we put it in the middle of the boat and all the skeeters dissapeared....its well worth the money......

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

and here are the refills....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

check it out 8)
Old 06-22-05, 09:51 PM   #19
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

A couple questions:

1. how can you see your line? even at late dusk or early dawn I have trouble seeing it.

2. other than wearing knight's armor, how do you repel the skeeters?

3. How can you see your rig?

I know the full moon is out... but seriously, it's summer. The full moon is VERY low. It doesn't put out a whole lot of light when it goes near a hill.

Night fishing sounds like fun, but so far, I haven't been able to make a late dusk or early dawn work for me. Although, early dusk and late dawn have both proven to be fun.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 10:01 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lone.....read alittle before posting there are several listed ways to repel sketers..i even have a link to one....secondly....whats the need to ssee you lure or line? you are fishing topwater and line watching is not nessacery.......and whats the point of watching your lure? when i bass hits it.....you will know!
Old 06-22-05, 11:04 PM   #21
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Some people I have heard will use a Black light and clear blue line so they can see there line but you can feel when they hit for the most part anyway or hear them hit the bait.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 12:18 AM   #22
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Hey Rodman dont forget the big catch program for any of those nice size fish you catch!!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 09:53 AM   #23
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Fishie link=board=MessBoards;num=1119315054;start=0#20 date=06/22/05 at 22:04:03]Some people I have heard will use a Black light and clear blue line so they can see there line but you can feel when they hit for the most part anyway or hear them hit the bait.[/quote]

Yes some of us do. And yes it works well. You can see the line, and can also fish weightless plastics better by being able to see the line. I haven't tried the propane bug thing, but I'm thinking I will. I have found that just burning incense will help keep some of the bugs away. Night fishing is a great time. But I'm not too sure about it down with Rob in the Gator country :-/ Anyway if you are serious about night fishing, get some black lights, and flourescent line. Also need a good head light (the kind you buy at the store that fits on your head like a cap). And also some dark baits, plenty of topwater stuff, and baits that give off a lot of vibrations.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 12:57 PM   #24
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

I carry something special for the 2 legged monsters, could use on a gator if the need arises. Like I've said before, I'm more scared of the snakes than anything else, ESPECIALLY at night.
Old 06-23-05, 02:43 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well if im going nightfishing i ONLY bring topwaters....so the whole black light thing i dont need......i think the whole fun of fishing at nifght is the topwater......my baits of choice would be....jitterbug....zara spook, popper, maybe get a devils horse, and thats about it.....im not worried about anything but skeeters when im out.......thats why the thermacell is great..... 8)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.