Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-05, 06:40 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Need Recommendations on Raingear and lifevest

I am a big guy.I use frogg toggs in the warmer months. I have a Tournament coming up next month at a local lake, and while the weather is mild now, it could be freezing then. I need a rainsuit that is WARM and dry.It cannot cost hundreds of dollars though. I also have been looking at the suspender style life vests and found one with 33lbs of floatation. It is automatic/manual, and is offered by Cabelas. Will it fit a big man, and will it float me. What is the wieght allowance on them. Do they really keep u alive.

Any help is thanked in advance.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 06:51 PM   #2
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King
Default Re: Need Recommendations on Raingear and lifevest

Charles,

I've been looking for a good rainsuit myself. If you want anything with Gore-Tex your going to have to pay over $100.00 from what I've seen. Unless you can find a clearance or discount place on the internet somewhere. Another place you may want to try is an Army surplus store if you don't mind it being some kind of camo. If you do happen to find a good rain suit for a reasonable price please let me know.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 07:06 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BOSS,

Â* Â* Both BPS and Cabelas have good quality rain suits, but you are not going to get anything for under $100 that will be worth taking to the lake. Make sure that whatever you buy is Gore-tex and not poly or vinyl impregnated, or you will be as wet as if you had nothing on from persperation, and if it is cold you will freeze from trapped moisture. I buy mine 1 size larger than needed to allow room for a pair of sweat pants and a hooded sweatshirt under it in cold weather
Â* Â* As far as the SOSpenders type of PFD, do not worry about it. They have more than enough flotation to keep you afloat for hours. The average human is almost buoyant due to being mostly water. 20 pound buoyancy is more than enough to keep you well above neutral buoyancy, and the SOSpenders have 33 lbs of buoyancy. The only people that have to worry about not floating is weight lifters as there is no fat content in thier system to float them, so they sink. The more overweight a person is, the less it takes to keep them afloat.
One suggestion on the SOSpenders is that if you are fishing in a rainstorm, take the automatic inflator cartridge out and just use the vest as a manual. Water can seep into the auto inflator during a hard rain and set it off. That gets very exciting for a second or two, believe me.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 08:30 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

remember u are 80% water no matter how big u are so life vests just have to keep afloat 20% of u.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 08:44 PM   #5
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Here is what I use bro...

Made by Stearns.... You can find them at www.labsafety.com for $200.00 .... Very warm and dry.

As far as a vest:

I think this would look good on you:

;D

Chip
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 09:42 PM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

how did u know i like scooby doo? It MIGHT fit my leg. ;D

Charles

Thanks guys.
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 10:10 PM   #7
bassguy2004

Charles,
I picked up my rain gear at an REI store near by. They are an outdoor type store: mountain climbing, camping, skiing, etc. If there is one near you they have great discounts rain gear. I purchased a pair of light weight snow pants that are 100% water proof on sale for $75.00, retail $190. Being a big guy like you said, they usually have the larger sizes discounted. Give it a try. The Scooby Doo on each leg might be a nice touch. Good luck.
Old 01-09-05, 10:24 PM   #8
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

CHIP,

Thats awful nice of you to send boss your own personal flotation device. You are really a nice guy, no matter what everyone else on the board says about you!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 01:00 AM   #9
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

naw... heres my PFT's

I like Spider Duck, but I prefer the goat Â*

Chip Â*;D
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 04:38 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Cant comment on warm raingear. I bought a two piece suit at BPS, Wore it a few times-stayed dry. Paid about 65.00 for the set. My flotation I bought at walmart, Ive tested it once, works rather well. My daughter wont let me take her spongebob with me. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 05:05 PM   #11
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

charles i am a big man also. what i did was keep the frog toggs. buy your self a good pair of gore tex long johns. and good wool socks. then dress for the weather and wear the frogg toggs over top. they will help to keep the wind out. the long johns work for me. when i went out before xmas at cumberland city. as far as the suspenders go i don't know if you fine a pair please post and let me know where you got them at.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 07:02 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

BassBoss, I use Frogg Toggs & Sospenders vest. I reccomend the bib Frogg Toggs instead of the pants because us big guys butts will be exposed to the elements, The pants, jacket combo I got leaves a section of back exposed to get soaked.It ain't exactly a comfortable feeling ,other than that my Frogg Toggs are hard to beat. I got the tall sospender model and it is very comfortable to wear all day long while fishing. I hope this helps. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 07:19 PM   #13
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

frogg toggs i get them big enough to fit over my snowsuit.they do cut the wind and keep the water out.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 07:32 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well now he amits it chip prefure's the goats.

while frogg toggs work during the summer fine you will freeze a neither region to a crisp during the winter. i like polypro long handles at times. but remember i work out side during the winter-rain and snow- and anit froze yet in 8 years of doing it.

as for a sospend unit i bought a manual only unit go with the long model . i had an auto model it would inflate if it was foggy.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 09:26 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

The only thing that keeps me from buying the SOSpenders, is the comments I hear, just like the couple above, that the auto inflate kicks in accidentally sometimes(even in a storage bin). I worry that if I get in an accident, I won't be able to inflate them manually, due to an injury(usually happens when a boat crashes/wrecks). So I stick with the extra large ski type vests, until someone can tell me it's safe for an SOSpenders, without it going off in my face As for rain gear, well you definately get what you pay for here. I've worked construction outside for three years, and if you want to stay dry and warm, well cough up the $$$$$. Otherwise, as was sugested, dress warm under your Frogg Toggs, they will keep the rain off. I have 2 pairs of pretty costly raingear, one for the summer, very lightweight. The other is for fall/winter they are thicker, with better neck protection when needed. I bought them a Galyan's over the last 2 years, and didn't pay less than $185 for either set. I actually prefer the pant model, instead fo the bibs. I just get an extra size bigger on the pants, and the biggest size they have on the jacket. Therefor it will come down far enough to cover PNJ's butt, and it's easier getting in and out if you want. Especially since during the summer, I usually only wear the jacket anyway.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.