Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-10, 06:11 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How to spool a spinning reel?

Okay, can someone hook me up with the artical about how to spool a spinning reel? I've looked, but can't seem to find the post.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 06:38 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

there is a video by kevin on the video page of this very website...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 08:48 PM   #3
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/spinning-reel-twists/
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 09:08 AM   #4
Cavs1123

kevin has one thats very good!
Old 08-15-10, 09:49 AM   #5
Abbeysdad

If you're talking about the initial loading of the reel with line, the very best way is to rig a spooling station, which may be no more complicated than a nail in a work bench. The key is in allowing the product spool to rotate as you reel the line on your reel - the very best way to not have twisting.
Old 08-15-10, 11:35 AM   #6
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yes, I've seen the video. But I thought (no it doesn't hurt to much ) there was an artical written how to load line onto a spinning reel? My wife and I normally tag team it, she holds the spool, and I reel, or the other way around. Does it matter if the line is coming over the top of the spool onto the reel, or from underneath the spool onto the reel, or hold the spool sideway? I've never really had a real big problem with line twist per say. (Just after fishing a llooonnngggg time, my line starts to twist.) When I really start to get a lot of line twist, I just let a ton of line out (half or more) and troll with it behind the boat with no weight on it, and that takes care of the line twist. (Untill the next time it has to be done) BTW, thanks for the replies
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 11:06 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Top or bottom unspooling/decreeling doesn't matter as long as the product spool is spinning and not stationary. A lot of twist can be avoided if a swivel is used. Consider using a swivel, then your bait or a finer 'leader' after the swivel to the bait. In some cases, it makes the bait look like it's chasing 'food'...

I remember a time I had a swivel with a sinker and a hook on a loop about a foot up the line (bait fishing). Decided to try a spinner so I just replaced the sinker with the lure and left the hook unbaited. After a few casts I got a hit and set the hook ... the fish was caught on the unbaited hook! The fish ate what my bait was chasing.... believe it or not.
Old 08-17-10, 11:16 AM   #8
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Top or bottom unspooling/decreeling doesn't matter as long as the product spool is spinning and not stationary. A lot of twist can be avoided if a swivel is used. Consider using a swivel, then your bait or a finer 'leader' after the swivel to the bait. In some cases, it makes the bait look like it's chasing 'food'...

I remember a time I had a swivel with a sinker and a hook on a loop about a foot up the line (bait fishing). Decided to try a spinner so I just replaced the sinker with the lure and left the hook unbaited. After a few casts I got a hit and set the hook ... the fish was caught on the unbaited hook! The fish ate what my bait was chasing.... believe it or not.

Funny you say that... just read some info on TTF's website suggesting something similar to this... they say to run a speck rig or something similar with 2 baits... but instead of two lures teh same size, make teh bottom or rear lure much bigger to give teh impression of one fish chasing a smaller fish... this triggers feeding aggression in fish viewing this predatory act... and in some cases they compete with the larger lure for the smaller lure and you got it... and if you do this in a school of fish... you may double up...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 08:11 PM   #9
Marty

The age-old recommendation is that you lay the supply spool on the floor or flat surface such that the line comes off counterclockwise. The theory is that the line goes on the reel spool clockwise, thus the clockwise twist is partially offset by the counterclockwise twist coming off the supply spool so that the line on the reel is relatively twist-free. I say partially offset because of the difference in diameter between the reel spool and supply spool.

When reels started being made with anti-twist line rollers, at least some manufacturers, for sure Daiwa and Shimano, put in the user instructions that the supply spool should be held in an up-and-down position, such as with a pencil through the center, similar to spooling a baitcaster.

My personal experience is that with these anti-twist rollers either spooling method works.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.