Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-05, 09:04 AM   #1
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy
Default Power Pro

Well I got some power pro and that stuff is so damn strong. Spooled up and I got hung up on a fountaine base and could not break it off (40lb) test so I lost about 20yds on my reel but I still have good amount. When you get fish on this stuff you can horse them in.
It cast wounderfully and the feel is incredible. On a spinning reel hooksets are so much better.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 09:10 AM   #2
davew

Default Re: Power Pro

I use the 30/10 power pro and love it
Old 06-27-05, 01:43 PM   #3
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

Yeah you can horse them in as hard as you want and the stuff aint going to break........ I recently got some more for my new Diawa and I actually broke 2 hooks that I had hung on stumps (not those weak red hooks)....... But dont set the hook to hard cause it dont take much cause the stuff has no strech............ I use to could not cast a weightless worm on my baitcaster but since I put on the Power Pro I can cast it plenty far enought........... To tell you an easy way to cut it......... Heat up a knife with a lighter and then gently slice it......
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 01:45 PM   #4
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

I just use some scissors and it cuts like a breeze.
Old 06-27-05, 04:45 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

well my cousin brought in a 4-5' gator with 20lb powerpro...i would say its strong 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 05:43 PM   #6
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I have to say that it is probably the best line I have evr used and works for me in almost any situation......... I even catch plenty in clear water.......... It would be nice if they come out with a clear version of Power Pro and still had the same characteristics as the origional Power Pro
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 09:00 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I don't think the technology is there yet, Dyas. Wouldn't surprise me, though. In Febryary of last year I pitched a jig into a flooded treetop, got a solid thump, set the hook and thought I had a monster. I did, except it was a 20 lb flathead cat. Got it out of that treetop, though, using 12/50.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 09:23 PM   #8
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

I currently have stren superbraid, but when i get the money(hello fridays paycheck), Ill be slapping some power pro on. What color Hi vis Yellow, or Lo-Vis green. Whats your opinion?
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 09:44 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Low-vis all the way.
Old 06-27-05, 09:57 PM   #10
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

1 more Q, I use a spinning rod, MH, should i get the 30 lb or 20 lb test, mostly used for worm fishing.
Old 06-27-05, 09:58 PM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I still don't like power pro as well as I do Tuf-Line,but each to his own. Don't get the impression that I think its a bad line, I just think Tuf-Line is better. Power pro has not ever failed to function like it should, Tuf- Line is smoother , neither line holds the color well, turns white after use, word of advice, do not color the line with a sharpie permament marker pen.Whatever is in it ruins the braided line, it weakens it beyond belief. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 10:03 PM   #12
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

You need to help me get some pwower pro PB
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 10:21 PM   #13
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

I have Power Pro on a couple of reels and Fireline on a couple of more. The Power Pro seems to be smoother out of the box. It takes a little while to break in the Fireline. No complaints with either of them so far.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 10:36 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

PB, just match the line diameter to what you are used to using. For example,I use 12 lb mono, so I use the 50 lb Powerpro because it has the 12 lb mono diameter. If you have 2 different tests with the same diameter I'd go with the heavier line.
Old 06-27-05, 10:39 PM   #15
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

I usually use 8 lb mono, so i guess i will be buying 30 lb power pro then.

Thanks guys

-PowerBass
Old 06-27-05, 11:58 PM   #16
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

whoa bet thats fun huh pullin in a 5 lb fish on 50 lb line
i use 12 on red fish and they fight 100 times more than a bass and u goto worry about rocks clams and crabs in salt water wqith 50 lb line thers no fight there goes half the fun why not use the 12 lb line and put 3 times as much on and be able to cast twice as far? your baits would have 2 times the action the line would be 4 times less visible ah pple these days always taken the easy way hell with that all you goto do is crank drag allway up and reel since most pple catch and release might as well take the hooks off and jus fish when u get abite count it as a fish caught why put the fish through it when you dont need to if ya hook him hes commin in so why wory bout it you only goto get him to bite ?
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 07:01 AM   #17
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=fishing_sniper link=board=MessBoards;num=1119873843;start=0#15 date=06/27/05 at 22:58:21]whoa bet thats fun huh pullin in a 5 lb fish on 50 lb line
i use 12 on red fish and they fight 100 times more than a bass and u goto worry about rocks clams Â*and crabs in salt water wqith 50 lb line thers no fight there goes half the fun Â*why not use the 12 lb line Â*and put 3 times as much on and be able to cast twice as far? your baits would have 2 times the action the line would be 4 times less visible ah pple these days always taken the easy way hell with that all you goto do is crank drag allway up and reel Â*since most pple catch and release might as well take the hooks off and jus fish when u get abite count it as a fish caught why put the fish through it when you dont need to if ya hook him hes commin in so why wory bout it you only goto get him to bite ?[/quote]

let your opinion be your opinion
Old 06-28-05, 08:48 AM   #18
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Hell I am going for the big boys not little dinks and nothing pisses me off more than seeing a huge bass swirl on by worm and I break him off. Or get him rapped on a stump and have him break me off etc.
Old 06-28-05, 09:03 AM   #19
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishie,
I hate that, but the only bad thing about braid, is I cant set the hok as hard, because it results in pulling the hook from the mouth of the fish
Old 06-28-05, 09:09 AM   #20
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 3/0 hook and this and a 4/0 get plenty of flesh so I set the hook as hard as I would with Mono. Just lossen up your drag a little so it slips as little on the hookset. ;D
Old 06-28-05, 09:51 AM   #21
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishie,
I normally use a 3/0 or 4/0 but on smaller baits I will downsize to a 2/0, but since I mostly use a senko I use the 3/0 or 4/0 hooks in EWG. I have been using the lazer sharp thin red hooks from eagle claw, they are great, but im worried about them straightening out on a hook set.
Old 06-28-05, 09:57 AM   #22
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

POWERBASS/FISHIE,

Why in the hell do you need to set the hook like you are trying to tear down a building? With a 6 1/2 ft. rod and braided line, moving your rod from the 9:00 o'clock position to the 12:00 o'clock position will move your hook about 10 ft. Setting the hook 1 handed will drive the hook thru the roof of the fish's mouth and thru the top of the head. Any more than that is overkill.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 10:09 AM   #23
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

I dunno actually, maybe just dont want to lose a nice fish.
Old 06-28-05, 02:52 PM   #24
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to get them to come toward me from cover. ;D
Old 06-28-05, 07:32 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

fishing sniper, those must be some smallll reds.........i have seen plenty of guys using 12lb line and reds just tear it up and break it............when i redfish...or just saltwater fish....its 20lb PP, same with freshwater.........
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.