Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 02-28-10, 12:23 PM   #26
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree with you, especially more now than I used to, that a good rod in most cases is equally or more important than a good reel.

I am curious though as to what relatively cheap reels you are using that are better than expensive ones? I don't mean that to be confrontational, just curious.
I have quite a few in my collection. I really got into the Curado craze about 8 years ago (and still really like and use them to this day) but, after a good fishing friend of mine gave me a BPS Extreme in 2004, I haven't bought anything else except for the occasional "test" real LOL.

These are incredible reels. They cast as far if not farther than my Curado SF's, are smoother on the retrieve and have a great drag system in place. The absolute BEST part, is that on the occasion or two that something went wrong, I sent them in to BPS reel service, and was given a brand new one in return.

Normal price is 79.99 and has been for some time. But, I have purchased every one of them that I own for 59.99 or less.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:47 PM   #27
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I have quite a few in my collection. I really got into the Curado craze about 8 years ago (and still really like and use them to this day) but, after a good fishing friend of mine gave me a BPS Extreme in 2004, I haven't bought anything else except for the occasional "test" real LOL.

These are incredible reels. They cast as far if not farther than my Curado SF's, are smoother on the retrieve and have a great drag system in place. The absolute BEST part, is that on the occasion or two that something went wrong, I sent them in to BPS reel service, and was given a brand new one in return.

Normal price is 79.99 and has been for some time. But, I have purchased every one of them that I own for 59.99 or less.
Cool! I know several people that swear by BPS reels, the Extremes and the Pro Qualifiers specifically. I'm glad you found something that doesn't break the bank that works for you. More money for rods!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 02:53 PM   #28
woody

I'm not telling...what's the point?

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 03:03 PM   #29
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Isn't it obvious, Mark?

So we can finally know who is the biggest idio...er, I mean who has the best taste in fishing gear.
Old 02-28-10, 03:15 PM   #30
Bassboss

Quote:

-Mark
I dunno, just to brag I guess!

What what nofear said?

~~~~~~`

I'm really missing them pics by the way guys.
Old 02-28-10, 04:13 PM   #31
TN_Bassin

Well my most expensive, and probably the least used rod and reel I have would be my Shimano Calais 100A on a Loomis GLX 6.6 H Ftip.
Old 02-28-10, 07:42 PM   #32
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Well my most expensive, and probably the least used rod and reel I have would be my Shimano Calais 100A on a Loomis GLX 6.6 H Ftip.
Damn, real nice man... real nice!
Old 02-28-10, 07:50 PM   #33
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Damn, real nice man... real nice!
Yea it's a nice reel and rod. But I much prefer my revo's over it for some reason.
Old 02-28-10, 08:41 PM   #34
Tavery5

My most expensive setup is a Revo Premiere on a Shimano Crucial rod. Got both the Rod and Reel on sale so I don't have all that much into the setup. Retail Rod 140 and Reel 260, Actual Rod 80, Reel 140. This is a very light combo.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 10:49 PM   #35
Bender

I can't find the price of the GLX that is probably most expensive, 7'6" spinning Mag-Light. It seems to be a steelhead rod, but I got it for launching tubes a long ways. I found the 3 piece model, but not the one piece. Hardly ever use it. Most all reels paid under $200 with the exception of me paying full price on a Chronarch 50MG. Wish I had 20 of those, well 50s and 51s. If the Core's ever go on sale or I get rich.........
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 02:59 PM   #36
doc

edited because carolina is right

Last edited by doc; 03-01-10 at 04:33 PM.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:29 PM   #37
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

-Mark
I agree. I see this going down a too familiar path. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your stuff but I think I see a storm on the horizon and if it happens I don't want to have a dog in the fight.
Old 03-01-10, 04:49 PM   #38
3dkicker

I got a custom built Shakari blank rod that retailed for $160 and a Revo Premiere from the same person. The combo weighs 11 or 12 oz and runs $380 or so. Got it for $160. Got a Shimano Scorpion with a Loomis Mossyback that would cost $435 for $215. Rod was half off and a buddy picked the Scorpion up over in Japan for $65.
Old 03-01-10, 05:14 PM   #39
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I see a storm on the horizon and if it happens I don't want to have a dog in the fight.
/rant on

I see your point, but I have to say if anyone gets pissy over someone else having expensive fishing tackle, well then they just need to grow up. This was not a "NYAH NYAH, I've got better tackle than you!" thread. It was more of a "man, I can't believe I got bit by the monkey that hard" kind of thread. It has also been more of a "I got a really good deal" thread. This is the "Bragging Board and Monkey Talk" section.

Wouldn't we all like to have a couple really nice fishing rods? I think the answer is yes, though obviously, it's not in the budget for some guys. And nothing against those guys. We all play with the cards we're dealt.

For some reason, I'm sure nobody would get angry if we started a "what is your biggest bass?" thread. I don't know...maybe someone would. but I can assure you 99% of the members here would tell them to shut it and lighten up.

Why is expensive tackle so different? Is it a sin to buy nice things if you have the money? Heck...maybe I should get mad when others post pics of their great family or their hot girlfriend. It's not fair because I don't have one!!! Same thing.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone here was rubbing it in anyone's face.

/rant off.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 03-01-10 at 05:29 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:22 PM   #40
Bassboss

Now now fellas, I don't want it to become a bad thread or get closed because of something someone said, and than an argument gets started. Please, if anyone has any disagreements, than please settle than over PM. I would rather that we stayed on topic and if this does not get closed over something stupid.
Old 03-01-10, 05:38 PM   #41
bassinbob

A Kistler LTA with a Shimano Chronarch 50mg. Under $300. You can get some terrific deals on Kistlers and i got the reel when they dicontinued them.
Old 03-01-10, 06:10 PM   #42
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
/rant on

I see your point, but I have to say if anyone gets pissy over someone else having expensive fishing tackle, well then they just need to grow up. This was not a "NYAH NYAH, I've got better tackle than you!" thread. It was more of a "man, I can't believe I got bit by the monkey that hard" kind of thread. It has also been more of a "I got a really good deal" thread. This is the "Bragging Board and Monkey Talk" section.

Wouldn't we all like to have a couple really nice fishing rods? I think the answer is yes, though obviously, it's not in the budget for some guys. And nothing against those guys. We all play with the cards we're dealt.

For some reason, I'm sure nobody would get angry if we started a "what is your biggest bass?" thread. I don't know...maybe someone would. but I can assure you 99% of the members here would tell them to shut it and lighten up.

Why is expensive tackle so different? Is it a sin to buy nice things if you have the money? Heck...maybe I should get mad when others post pics of their great family or their hot girlfriend. It's not fair because I don't have one!!! Same thing.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone here was rubbing it in anyone's face.

/rant off.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, I have no problem with this post at all but I still remember when similiar post in the past turned into a total disaster too and I would rather watch from the sidelines if that happens here. By all means talk about all your high end gear, that's what we work for and there is nothing wrong with being proud of it. God knows that I have no room to talk about spending a ton of money on fishing equipment, I have several rod and reel combos that are worth as much or more as my boat payment.

I also agree that nobody would be offended by a what is your biggest bass thread, however I also think that is just a standard issue topic for fishing and is taken as such. But where there is a conversation about money someone will eventually take exception to it and there is more often than not hurt feelings in the end. Maybe I am just having a knee jerk reaction to what happened on here in the past but I don't want to see that happen again and I don't want to see any of our members go through what you know who went through.
Old 03-01-10, 07:54 PM   #43
clydes02
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a citica 200d that i got lightly used for 30 and have anouther on the way for the same and a brand new damiki dark angle 66 mh casting rod i got for 120 so 150 for the rod and reel.
clydes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:40 PM   #44
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydes02 View Post
I have a citica 200d that i got lightly used for 30 and have anouther on the way for the same and a brand new damiki dark angle 66 mh casting rod i got for 120 so 150 for the rod and reel.
Hey, still a good combo I think! I love a guy that uses lower end gear, shows he can catch fish with just about anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I don't disagree with what you are saying, I have no problem with this post at all but I still remember when similiar post in the past turned into a total disaster too and I would rather watch from the sidelines if that happens here. By all means talk about all your high end gear, that's what we work for and there is nothing wrong with being proud of it. God knows that I have no room to talk about spending a ton of money on fishing equipment, I have several rod and reel combos that are worth as much or more as my boat payment.

I also agree that nobody would be offended by a what is your biggest bass thread, however I also think that is just a standard issue topic for fishing and is taken as such. But where there is a conversation about money someone will eventually take exception to it and there is more often than not hurt feelings in the end. Maybe I am just having a knee jerk reaction to what happened on here in the past but I don't want to see that happen again and I don't want to see any of our members go through what you know who went through.
Umm... guys!?
Old 03-02-10, 01:07 PM   #45
screwballl

You know what, I stated what I spent earlier in the thread... $60 for a Pflueger spinning/rod combo... it does not bother me or anger me that some of you have $1000 setups.
I see it that we are sharing what we have and how much it cost. Why anyone would get angry at that is really beyond me, but if they do then they probably shouldn't be an active member on any online forum anyways as they will continuously get pissy about something and keep leaving or get banned until they have nowhere left to go.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:38 PM   #46
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
You know what, I stated what I spent earlier in the thread... $60 for a Pflueger spinning/rod combo... it does not bother me or anger me that some of you have $1000 setups.
I see it that we are sharing what we have and how much it cost. Why anyone would get angry at that is really beyond me, but if they do then they probably shouldn't be an active member on any online forum anyways as they will continuously get pissy about something and keep leaving or get banned until they have nowhere left to go.
I agree, plus the thread wasn't started to be boastful or to be a "my gear is better than your gear" thread. When you think about it rods and reels are one of the cheaper parts of most guys fishing gear. I would guess that a good many of you own $10,000 - $40,000 boats and $35,000 trucks to pull those boats. A $400 rod and reel combo is pretty cheap in comparison.
Old 03-02-10, 01:52 PM   #47
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree, plus the thread wasn't started to be boastful or to be a "my gear is better than your gear" thread. When you think about it rods and reels are one of the cheaper parts of most guys fishing gear. I would guess that a good many of you own $10,000 - $40,000 boats and $35,000 trucks to pull those boats. A $400 rod and reel combo is pretty cheap in comparison.

Not to mention how much most of us own in just baits alone. I bet if everyone here was to put together all their baits, each one would probably have a few thousand dollars worth (probably more).
Old 03-02-10, 02:01 PM   #48
screwballl

I prefer the minimal approach. $60 rod/reel combo, maybe $200 worth of lures, $100 canoe, $10,000 used vehicle, $1000 used popup camper.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:06 PM   #49
TN_Bassin

Nothing in the world wrong with that. Whatever satisfies your monkey.
Old 03-02-10, 02:09 PM   #50
Jrob78

It isn't about what you have, it's about how much you enjoy what you have.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.