Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-05, 02:58 AM   #1
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew
Default Deep diving cranks.

I've fished crankbaits since I first started bass fishing as a kid (30yrs. ago). But i've never caught squat on any of the big deep divers like the poes 400 series; norman db 22's; man's 15+; rapala DT16's. Will someone give me a clue as to seasonal and water conditions and every little piece of info you posses on using those things. The only thing I've caught bass on that were in deeper than 10ft. of water has been soft plastics and jigs. Pleasssse fill me in on this subject.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 02:04 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Deep diving cranks.

Most of the fish I have caught on these baits have come from 15 ft or less, but I do that on purpose. When fishing a lipped crankbait I almost always throw one that runs deeper than the depth of the water I'm fishing-that way it really digs into the bottom kicking up a good mud trail-90% of the fish I catch on these baits come when they are digging up the bottom.

If you are having trouble getting the baits down as deep as you want them try a lighter line-the smaller line diameter allows the bait to get a little deeper, but with lighter line you can't horse them in as much.

That said,I have to admit crankbaits are not my strong suit, but this year my goal is to throw them more and get better with them.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 06:02 PM   #3
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

all of the mentioned baits will go 20' deep for a couple of seconds of the entire cast, they are most often used in depths of around 15' or so. If you are going to use them at depths of close to 20' you must really be honed in on how they run and when during the cast they hit that depth, reason being you have to be able to hit a small target at 20' at the exact time your bait is running 20'. Its not easy, most people just fish them in the 15' range where you have several seconds of bottom time with the 20'+ baits. Once you get proficient at catching fish with them where they run easily the you can work on the deep deep stuff. Hope this helps
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:40 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i mostly use them during the summer. with warm water temps...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 10:35 PM   #5
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys that does help. Been fishing where 15ft. starts out to 30ft. When fishing in 30ft. of water where you can see suspended bass between 15 and 25 ft. will they hit them then or are the fish too nuetral of a mood for that?
Old 03-05-05, 10:53 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=cullin8s link=board=news;num=1110002315;start=0#2 date=03/05/05 at 16:02:36]all of the mentioned baits will go 20' deep for a couple of seconds of the entire cast, they are most often used in depths of around 15' or so. If you are going to use them at depths of close to 20' you must really be honed in on how they run and when during the cast they hit that depth, reason being you have to be able to hit a small target at 20' at the exact time your bait is running 20'. Its not easy, most people just fish them in the 15' range where you have several seconds of bottom time with the 20'+ baits. Once you get proficient at catching fish with them where they run easily the you can work on the deep deep stuff. Hope this helps[/quote]

Nice Banner Ad by the way Your stuff is looking pretty good. Could you give me the low down on what you think is YOUR best service/feature you offer. I know you redo a lot of cranks, but do you also make them from the water up so to speek ???

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 04:25 AM   #7
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Try using crankbaits in rocky areas.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 01:09 PM   #8
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

friendly advice for all,I know when I throw alot of deep diving crankbaits it sure can pain the wrist,so I use a wrist wrap sure helps alot with tendonitis...just thought
I would trow that out there
Good day
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 01:37 PM   #9
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

I'm a cranker first and foremost. Can't give away all my tips but my best tip is

5.2:1 gear ratio on your reel.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 03:09 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Good advice, IM-I switched to a 5.1:1 reel for lipped cranks and the extra winching power makes a big difference in not getting worn out.
Old 03-06-05, 03:59 PM   #11
bassguy2004

I use a 7' med action rod and a Quantum 1310 mag reel. I chuck DD22's on this set up and have no problem. If I want a little more depth, I add a little lead wire around the hook shafts. I like to fish them point edges and creek channels. Shallow or deep, a DD22 in 6 feet of water will stirr up the bottom. ;D
Old 03-06-05, 04:19 PM   #12
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=IMhooked link=board=news;num=1110002315;start=0#8 date=03/06/05 at 11:37:39]I'm a cranker first and foremost. Â*Can't give away all my tips but my best tip is

5.2:1 gear ratio on your reel.[/quote]

So am I, but I gotta say the best for cranking is 4.3:1
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:09 PM   #13
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again guys for the tips. Is there a particular seasonal pattern they work best in like, pre-spawn, post spawn, early summer, late summer, fall? Â*I use pretty much exclusively 5.1:1 gear ratio's. Â*I can keep up with fish that run to the boat and still have enough power to turn the fish if needed, or crank down on them to keep 'em from jumping. Â*Also are the fish harder to hook up on using deep diving cranks. Â*I already change out all my crankbaits with Gamakatsu's. Should you use a sweeping hookset like with carolina rigs or more of a power set like a worm in the brush or trees?
Old 03-07-05, 11:36 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Shouldn't have any trouble on the hookset with gammys-a C-rig sweep will do the job nicelly. One thing I'd suggest is to keep a red trap handy this time of the year-for some reasom pre spawn if you rip a red Rat-L-Trap through emerging grass it can really be a killer tactic.
Old 03-07-05, 11:38 PM   #15
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

BB,what reel you use with a 4.3:1 gear ratio?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:40 PM   #16
bassguy2004

My experience with deep diving cranks are if they want it bad enough they pretty much hook themselves. I just keep pressure on them so they can't shake the bait free.
Old 03-08-05, 09:53 AM   #17
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1110002315;start=0#14 date=03/07/05 at 21:38:48]BB,what reel you use with a 4.3:1 gear ratio?[/quote]

Pflueger Trion LP Cranking Reel. Cabelas sells it, and so do some bigger sporting stores. Most can order it.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:13 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I personnaly use a Lews BB1NGS-4:1. I might go to an ABU 4600C3 Winch-3:1. Depends on weather it's summer or winter. Seems they like it slower in the winter and faster in the summer.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 08:58 PM   #19
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

I like to use the Mann's 20+ or 30+ in the heat of the summer, I run and gun deep brush piles and structure with them, Also use them along sides of deep islands and humps. I never make over 10 or so cast on any one area with them then move on, I have at times hooked some great fish using this tactic. Thanks Lakeguide...But let me tell ya, It will ware you out
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.