Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-07, 09:13 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Questions about braided line.

This is my first season using braided line and so far I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Having used mono aand copolymer lines for 40 years, it takes some getting used to. Braided line handles very differently. It's taking some getting used to. And God help ya if you get a backlash using it. Man what a pain that experience was. Anyways, I was wanting to know which applications you prefer braided line over the others. Would you use it with a jig n pig, or with texas rigged plastics? I know using a carolina rig I would need to use a flouro or mono leader, so I wasn't sure braid would be a viable line for T rigged plastics either. How about top water? Would you use it with that application also?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 09:26 AM   #2
zooker

i use braid for three things t-rig,frog,and jig fishing..everthing else is mono..

zooker
Old 05-12-07, 09:45 AM   #3
keithdog

Thanks zook. I was not sure if braid was too visable to use for T rigs. Same with jig n pig.
Old 05-12-07, 11:27 AM   #4
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

braid is easier to remove a backlash in most cases.put your thumb on the spool and reel against it.then release the spool and pull out line.repeat as needed.
Old 05-12-07, 11:28 AM   #5
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

If you're worried about the visability of braid, you could always make a leader of Flurocarbon. Just attach a couple feet of it to the end of your line with a bloodknot. For years it was hard for me to justify the visability of the line I was fishing with, when for all intensive purposes, the hook's sticking straight out. My last tournament though, I put a few feet of P-Line on and my bite rate increased greatly.

That was on my shaky-head spinning rod. Never had a problem catching fishing on a jig with 65lbs braid.
Old 05-12-07, 02:45 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Keith-I use it for just about every application where feel is important-T-rig, C-rig, jigs, frogs and flipping. The sensitivity and low stretch make it ideal for single hook baits like worms and jigs. It does take a little getting used to,but it is a great tool to have in your arsenal.

Backlashes-not near the problem they are made out to be. I switched a reel from mono to braid a while back and did not tighten the cast control after stripping off the old line and respooling. Yesterday I made a cast into the wind without checking the cast control and you can guess the result-a world class birdsnest. Tried to pick it out, realized it was hopeless, so I just reeled it up and put it away.

Several years back I got a backlash pick from BPS, but a small crochet needle will work. Pulled out the rod and went to work. Had the rod ready to go in less than 5 minutes with no surgery and no respooling. My point is, unlike mono or fluoro, braid can be salvaged with just a little effort. It doesn't get kinks in it that weaken mono or fluoro so it is reusable.
Old 05-12-07, 04:16 PM   #7
keithdog

Yeah, I have one of those pics your talking about Reb. But the backlash was so bad I had to cut off about half my line to get it to where I could cast again. It was pretty much hopeless. Once I would seem to get past the tangle, there would be another underneith. I'm thinking about stipping off whats left and trying another shot at it. However, this time I am going to buy Power Pro since so many of the fellas in here seem to really love that line. I was using the Stren Super Braid which I know isn't the favorite here amoung braid users.
Old 05-12-07, 05:48 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I was using the Stren Super Braid which I know isn't the favorite here amoung braid users.

hell there's half your problem right there..

zooker
Old 05-12-07, 10:54 PM   #9
keithdog

OK, Just got back from a quick outting to the lake to try out this Power Pro. I gotta tell ya, I now understand why so many folks here are fans of Power Pro. It out performed the Stren Super Braid I was using by a mile. Gave me a renewed hope for using braided lines. Handled much better than stren and casted smoother. Have just one other question for ya zooker. I have a line cutter which hangs around my neck on a lanyard. It's basically an oversized pair of nail clippers. I know you've seen them. I've noticed that while these clippers are the cats meow for mono lines, it doesn't work so well clipping through braid lines. What do you use for cutting your braided lines when changing baits? Was thinking maybe to carry a small pair of sizzors with me.
Old 05-13-07, 01:18 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Keith, good call-scissors are exactly what you need.
Old 05-13-07, 08:48 AM   #11
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

get fiskars kids scissors.cheap and cut braid real good.if you like powerpro you'd love sufix braid.there is a night and day difference.
Old 05-13-07, 07:04 PM   #12
zooker

a razor sharp lock blade.. is what i use to cut braid..

zooker
Old 05-14-07, 09:17 AM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
OK, Just got back from a quick outting to the lake to try out this Power Pro. I gotta tell ya, I now understand why so many folks here are fans of Power Pro. It out performed the Stren Super Braid I was using by a mile. Gave me a renewed hope for using braided lines. Handled much better than stren and casted smoother. Have just one other question for ya zooker. I have a line cutter which hangs around my neck on a lanyard. It's basically an oversized pair of nail clippers. I know you've seen them. I've noticed that while these clippers are the cats meow for mono lines, it doesn't work so well clipping through braid lines. What do you use for cutting your braided lines when changing baits? Was thinking maybe to carry a small pair of sizzors with me.

Ahh another convert rotfl. Watch out you may decide to start using it all the time now Also if you smoke like me, a cigarette burns through it nicely, other wise I use Fireline Scissors, made by Berkley, available everywhere tackle is sold.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.