Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-05, 04:13 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Your Preferred Bait for Pitching and Flipping

As most of you know I'm just learning to pitch and flip. Just never had any desire to do it before, but fishing tourneys it pretty much a mandatory technique I need to get down. I'm getting better, and caught quite a few Sunday Pitching. Pitching is much more important being a back boater, than flipping is. Anyway I had good success with a Netbait Baby Paca Craw in Green Pumpkin from http://wwwAlabamalakes.com , with a 1/4 bullet weight pegged. I was wanting to get some other good baits for flipping that you folks have had success with. I'm sure tubes will be big, and I have also ordered a bunch of the Ghostbaits Sweet Beaver knockoffs. So If you would let me know what it is you prefer, in what size, and color I would appreciate it. Also what size of weight you use, and if it's a Jig what brand and weight along with what trailer. Thanks in advance for you input.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 04:25 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Your Preferred Bait for Pitching and Flipping

black/blue ultimate jig, not sure the weight. i like a craw type trailor(any craw type bait i can find i put on it).
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 06:54 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Thin Lizzy, My all time flipping bait was the 8" Gene Larew flipping lizard in rootbeer/green flake. Unfortunately I cannot find them any more, so now I use a Culprit 10" worm in crawdad color. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 07:00 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Lizards,
For weeds I use a 8 inch charlies worm in red shad or a similar color. For brush I will also use that, or I'm getting fairly comfortable with a black and blue jig and pig.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 07:28 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

02, That was a 1/2 oz. weight. WTL , it does not matter on the color of the jig. It could be pink jig and it still would work well most of the time, but stick with the color that works best for you.I use black/red color alot because they seem to be on clearance sale alot. You will hardly ever find black/blue on clearance sale. The red shad jigs have caught alot of bass for me. P N J
Old 05-31-05, 07:37 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Pig, me thinks you are correct about the color. I also doubt bass can tell the difference between most trailers or head styles, as long as you can work the jig in a fish attracting manner. I just use black and blue cause its what I use.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:14 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, PnJ turned me on to these jigs, anf for pitching they are awesome-they have a recessed line tie that doesn't get hung up:

http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

I also like Zoom big tubes rigged with the internal bell sinker-I think I have told you about that-if not let me know and I'll post a pic.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:29 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i like a bite heavier baits paca craws, baby bush hawgs,6" standard lizard,senko. mostly i peg the sinker 1/8oz to 1/4oz. depending on application.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:55 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1117566829;start=0#6 date=05/31/05 at 19:14:20]Lizards, PnJ turned me on to these jigs, anf for pitching they are awesome-they have a recessed line tie that doesn't get hung up:

http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

I also like Zoom big tubes rigged with the internal bell sinker-I think I have told you about that-if not let me know and I'll post a pic.[/quote]

Yes Reb I know what you are talking about, just concerns me on hooksets? Probably not an issue, but it seems like it might be. I'm glad you posted that site again for the jigs. I guess the elephant aint off my back yet, gotta get some of those jigs too I did get the KVD video zooker referred me to. I did learn a lot from that video, thanks again zooker. KVD trims all of his jig skirts, to the end of the hook for pitching and flipping, which makes sense, and also cuts the weedaurd at a 45 degree angle. I have never trimmed the skirts, but usually thin out the weedguard. So I'll have to give that a try also.

Lizards
Old 05-31-05, 09:02 PM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

#1..pacacraw t-rig,pegged.3/16 to 1/2 oz wt.5/0 gam EWG
#2..red shad senko..no weight,5/0 gam EWG
#3..black jig w/black/blue pacacraw trailer
#4..green pumpkin jig w/green pumpkin pacacraw trailer.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 09:10 PM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, Greg Hackney trims his skirts at a tapered angle, so the middle is longer than the top & bottom of the skirt . It flares really well. P N J
Old 05-31-05, 09:24 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Can someone tell me the difference between the Paca craw and this wacky craw bait ? http://www.wackyworm.com/wwcustombaits.html
Old 05-31-05, 09:28 PM   #13
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Baby Brush Hog......Watermelon Candy
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 09:44 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=MessBoards;num=1117566829;start=0#11 date=05/31/05 at 20:24:26]Can someone tell me the difference between the Paca craw and this wacky craw bait ? http://www.wackyworm.com/wwcustombaits.html [/quote]

Nope, can't really tell any difference from what I see :-/ Â*Perhaps the same guy makes them, Wacky just wants there name on it? Â*Or vice versa?

heres a link to the Paca Craw, they do say different sizes 4" and 5"
http://www.alabamalakes.com/site/scr...?idProduct=186

Lizards
Old 05-31-05, 11:38 PM   #15
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
Yes Reb I know what you are talking about, just concerns me on hooksets?
No need to be concerned. It doesn't interfere and no need to peg a weight on the nose of the bait when you are pitching/flipping.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 11:52 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

those look like them ultimate jigs. except i cant tell if it is because it cant see if it has the big rattles. but if you are talking about the jig and weed gaurd on hooksets lizards? i cut the weedgaurd till the ends of it are just over the hook point. does me good 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 07:36 AM   #17
jaredangie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jaredangie

I like to flip the paca craw and sweet beavers. Tubes are up there too.

I love the paca craws but I just dont care for how easy the pinchers come off on a short hit. Love the action however and with a rattle in there !!!!!! ;D ;D
jaredangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 10:35 AM   #18
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I've had success with tubes, jigs, and the Yum wooly hawg craw and tail and there creature baits.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 08:17 PM   #19
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

My favorite is a 3/8 oz. black and blue Hawgback jig with a 4" Black Shadow Paca Craw as a trailer. The Hawgback jigs use Owner hooks which I know you like Lizards. IM me and I'll tell you where to get the jigs. I've only seen them at one place here locally. Actually some guys in Mooresville make them.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 05:51 AM   #20
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

3/8 solid blue jig in whatever brand I can find.A totally blue jig is scarce where I live.I like an Uncle Josh # 11 pork frog in "natural" (a reddish brown).
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 07:53 AM   #21
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Strap link=board=MessBoards;num=1117566829;start=0#18 date=06/01/05 at 19:17:49]My favorite is a 3/8 oz. black and blue Hawgback jig with a 4" Black Shadow Paca Craw as a trailer. The Hawgback jigs use Owner hooks which I know you like Lizards. IM me and I'll tell you where to get the jigs. I've only seen them at one place here locally. Actually some guys in Mooresville make them.[/quote]

Probably the guys from "Tackle Sevice Center" here in Mooresville. They do a lot of maintenance/warranty work on lots of different stuff. They have some nice tackle, and a few upper end reels. Just a smaller store, where most of what I like you would have to order it in. I already sent you back a IM about The Outdoorsman. Nice place, and good quality stuff. Just not a BPS, or Cabela's. I think when I do retire, it's gonna have to be within a few minutes of one of those 2 stores Hopefully BOTH!

Lizards
Old 06-02-05, 09:21 AM   #22
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=Strap link=board=MessBoards;num=1117566829;start=0#18 date=06/01/05 at 19:17:49]My favorite is a 3/8 oz. black and blue Hawgback jig with a 4" Black Shadow Paca Craw as a trailer. Â*The Hawgback jigs use Owner hooks which I know you like Lizards. Â*IM me and I'll tell you where to get the jigs. Â*I've only seen them at one place here locally. Â*Actually some guys in Mooresville make them.[/quote]
Why you got to hold out on us Strap geez.
*mental note Strap is off the Christmas list*

james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 04:58 PM   #23
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

Booyah black and blue Boo Jig, 1/2 oz, with a Yum chunk trailer.

Lake Fork Trophy Tube, Strike King flippin tube, berkley flipping tube, 3/8 oz bullet weight, 4/0 Owner wide gap hook or 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG(sometimes superline). colors:black/red neon, watermelon, pumpkinseed, junebug.

7" YUM Zellamander, black and blue, 3/8 bullet sinker.

I peg all my bullet weights with either bobber stops, or strands of of silicone from a spinnerbait. it allows the bullet weight to slide up on the hookset so the fish can't throw the hook with the weight of the sinker.
basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 05:11 PM   #24
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=basser_37 link=board=MessBoards;num=1117566829;start=0#22 date=06/02/05 at 15:58:55]
I peg all my bullet weights with either bobber stops, or strands of of silicone from a spinnerbait. it allows the bullet weight to slide up on the hookset so the fish can't throw the hook with the weight of the sinker.[/quote]

Nice tip, never heard of strands being used before, that will save on the Peg-It's 8)

Lizards
Old 06-02-05, 08:40 PM   #25
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Ilbassin,

Anytime you want to make a trip to Indy I'll personally take you there. If your familiar with Indy's southside and Greenwood it's on 135 just south of Smith Valley Rd. Please put me back on the Christmas list. ;D
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.