Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-05, 12:29 PM   #1

Default whats the best topwater lure?

whats the best topwater luer to use?

-popper
-devil's horse

any suggestions?
Old 03-29-05, 02:51 PM   #2
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1
Default Re: whats the best topwater lure?

I like baits like the zara spook and jitterbug
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:06 PM   #3
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

8) I would use a bps's ''xps tender toad'',but my grandpa swares by a torpedo type bait in black[he says a fish can see black better than white,it makes a silhouette]. 8)

texaskayaker
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 06:02 PM   #4
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

All of them are great, just give them a try and you will find out which ones you prefer. Â*Yes the Devil horse is Â*a good one it is one of my favorites. Become a member and you will probably get more replies and be taken a little more serious, plus its really easy to do!

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 06:06 PM   #5
bassguy2004

I have some favorites:

1. Buzzbait
2. Poppers
3. A large wooden swim bait reeled in really slow over a hump. The bait looks like a wounded bait fish on the surface, the largemouths can't stand it.
Old 03-29-05, 06:30 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i have only used a few of them. but the best i like is the jitterbug, especially at night.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:29 PM   #7
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

SPOOK or a chug bug
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:32 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[glow=red,2,300]JITTERBUG[/glow]

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:54 PM   #9
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

I would have to go with the Spook or a buzzbait.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:01 PM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Zara spook Jr & the dying flutter lure by Heddon. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:10 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

All of em!

my personal fav is Pop-R and then a white clanky buzz bait, but i prob have owned every thing that floats and they all catch fish
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 07:07 AM   #12
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Heddon tiny torpedo, dying flutter and rapala skitter pop are all my personal bass assassins!
Old 04-29-07, 11:45 AM   #13
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

HORNY TOAD!!!

NUFF SAID

zooker
Old 04-29-07, 07:00 PM   #14
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

OLD THREAD but I love spooks.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 09:49 PM   #15
keithdog

My favorite surface bait is probably the newer banana style spook baits. I have two from Yozuri that I really like. My second choice would probably be the Heddon Tiny Torpedo.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 11:50 PM   #16
3dkicker

Great horny toads! Ya igit! Ooooooooooooh, I HATES ribbits!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yosemite.gif
Views:	382
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1628  
Old 04-30-07, 07:13 PM   #17
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

My weapon of choice is the good ole.......

Super Spook Jr.-Bone colored
DaHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 10:33 PM   #18
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
whats the best topwater luer to use?

-popper
-devil's horse

any suggestions?
I'd suggest you carry a selection of topwater lures. Remember that, technically, the buzzbaits,"toads" (like the ZOOM Horny Toad), and "scum frogs" (such as the SPRO Frog) are topwater lures as well.
Plugs: Carry Tiny Torpedos in Clear, Chrome Blueback, and Firetiger OR some sort of perch-like finish...that's 3 so far.
Carry some popper-type baits. I'd recommend the Pop 'R in Clear, something silvery or shadlike, Baby Bass (especially immediately post-spawn). That makes 6.
Carry some "dog-walkers". For the money you can't beat the Super Spook Jr. Carry one in Chrome Blueback, one in Bone (with the chartreuse head is good, especially if there are smallmouth around,) and one in a perch or baitfish finish. That brings us to 9 lures.
Ahhh, the old Devil Horse! Carry one in some sort or perch or yellow. Try removing the front prop now and then. Use a tiny drop of glue on the threads whenever you screw the eyelet back in. That's 10.
Now, before we address other types of topwater...DO NOT USE SPLIT RINGS OR SWIVELS on the Torpedos, Horses, or Poppers. DO USE SPLIT RINGS, preferably SMALL and OVAL shape, on the Spooks or other "walking" lures.
DO PRACTICE the dog-walking until you can do it well.
OK, about the other types; Carry some 1/2 oz buzzbaits with silver blades. One should have a white or shad skirt, one a chartreuse/white skirt, and one a black skirt. Practice getting them moving ("up and buzzing") so soon as they hit the water and learn to steer them so as to bounce of stumps and other cover. If you are missing strikes, as with other TW lures, it may be 'cause you are trying to set the hook by sight when the fish attacks the lure. Instead, simply reel until you feel the fish then set the hook with medium force. In the case of missed strikes with buzzbaits, the fish may be striking short. You can add a trailer hook, but be wary of snags.
With toads and frogs, although the retrieve technique differs (you buzz a toad, mostly, and "work" a frog,) you still need to feel the fish before you set the hook.
For Toad colors, I recommend some White, Black, and some Pumpkin with some white or pearl added. For Frogs, a Bullfrog pattern, Yellow, White, and Black will about cover it.
DO NOT USE Fluorocarbon or fluoro coated lines for TW work. These lines sink and can cause the lures, especially the plugs, to "dive", and thereby spoil their action. Instead, use a tough mono, such as P-Line Extra-Strong, and select it in the lightest possible test consistent with the "terrain" (obstacles, heavy cover, huge bass, etc.). I generally throw my Tiny Torps and Pop 'Rs on #8 and Super Spook JUNIORS on #10-#12.
For buzzers, toads, and frogs, I recommend #20-#30 braid, no leader. Braid is rather buoyant and thus helps the action of the retrieve. It also, given it's almost "zero" stretch, helps wrestle bass out of the cover in/or over which these lures are often employed. That lack of stretch, however, makes the "strike by feel, not sight" rule all the more critical. Remember too that a lure pulled loose from a snag on braid will return to sender at Mach 1.5...be prepared.
You'll notice I've not recommended any of the overpriced offerings from various makers, mostly Japanese, that have attracted so many of our fraternity. This is because the lures I HAVE recommended will match them fish for fish any day of the week and COST LESS too. (Rants and Rage in 9-8-7-6----)
Hope this helps.
Oh, SHARP hooks are as must!

FlyRod

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-30-07 at 10:40 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 11:33 PM   #19
crab
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like Riccos and Splash-Its!
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 12:42 PM   #20
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

Can anyone help me here? I was fishing with a horney toad this morning and had 5-6 blow ups on it but didn't hook a fish, one sending it about 3' in the air. I left the hook exposed on the top of the body. It was frustrating.....
Old 05-01-07, 04:43 PM   #21
flbassman

You probly set the hook too fast. Wait till you feel some wait, then rear back and nail it. Good luck!
Old 05-01-07, 08:52 PM   #22
OUTLAW
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I personally like POP R's, I agree with Flbassn on setting the hook too early.With topwater I usually wait to feel the weight to set the hook.And its sometimes very hard to wait,but It does make a big difference.Also somtimes fish will strike out of anger with no intention of eating the bait,just to kill it
Old 05-01-07, 08:58 PM   #23
zooker

yeah we all know that top water bites show the temperment in bass. some will sneak up and just suck it under others will hammer it..

zooker
Old 05-01-07, 09:16 PM   #24
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHorns View Post
Can anyone help me here? I was fishing with a horney toad this morning and had 5-6 blow ups on it but didn't hook a fish, one sending it about 3' in the air. I left the hook exposed on the top of the body. It was frustrating.....
Loathe though I am to assist a wearer of bright brown with a flying uterus on his helmet, I respectfully call your attention to my scholarly post above.
Therein, you will find the repeated admonition to set the hook AFTER you feel the fish, not by sight.
Y'see, when you strike, instantly, at the sight of of a bass blowing up on a topwater lure, you literally snatch it from his jaws before he can clamp down firmly.
It isn't easy to resist the impulse to whack 'im ASAP, and all of us, even we seasoned veterans, do it once in a while. Still, try to practice, in your mind, your reaction when the bass hits. Keep at it and you will be rewarded.
Good luck and be safe.

And A Very Boomer Sooner To YOU!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 09:25 PM   #25
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Loathe though I am to assist a wearer of bright brown with a flying uterus on his helmet, I respectfully call your attention to my scholarly post above.
Therein, you will find the repeated admonition to set the hook AFTER you feel the fish, not by sight.
Y'see, when you strike, instantly, at the sight of of a bass blowing up on a topwater lure, you literally snatch it from his jaws before he can clamp down firmly.
It isn't easy to resist the impulse to whack 'im ASAP, and all of us, even we seasoned veterans, do it once in a while. Still, try to practice, in your mind, your reaction when the bass hits. Keep at it and you will be rewarded.
Good luck and be safe.

And A Very Boomer Sooner To YOU!

FR
Thanks for the help, and I forgive you for being a sooner.......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.