Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-05, 11:59 PM   #1
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

Default difficult nest bass

hey everyone, i know this question has been asked prob a million times but i need a lil help. ive been fish hard for the past week every day, but for the past today the fish will not bite because they are around nests, ussually this is a good time because it is easy to agrivate them and get them to bite but it just seems odd, anyone recomend technique, or bait.. ive even used lizards and shiners they always do the trick. thanks for any help....
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 12:28 AM   #2
windingriver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to windingriver
Default Re: difficult nest bass

I have had it take up to an hour or more to get those nested fish mad enough to hit my bait, all i can say is keep trying eventually you will make that fish so mad it wont be able to stand it anymore, it sounds like you are useing the rite bait(Lizards) also maybe try tubes and big worms. good luck
windingriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 09:07 AM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

BIG baits 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 09:41 AM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

We have been hitting it hard all week and no bites to speak of , only "dinks'
I still dont think they are nesting yet tho in south western ohio IMO
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 09:52 AM   #5
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

find the biggest lizard you can in any really bright color bubble gum, white, chart.,ect that should make them feel threatend enoph to make them strike. 8)

Good luck!
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 01:10 PM   #6
new2fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to new2fish

So you guys are saying, if the bass are nesting, its best not to use Crankbaits or spinner baits?
new2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 03:21 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

A newer suggestion I've read, instead of the same old lizards and tubes(did I just actually say that ) is a suspending bluegill colored crank bait. Just leave it sit on top of the nest. they will move it eventually. Also just rod wiggling, no twitching.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 03:46 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I don't know what the answer is. :-/ P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 04:11 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

The trick is to sight fish, and put some lure right in the nest , and wait for the bass to pick it up and move it.
You'll prob have about 2 seconds to set the hook after she picks it up, cus she won't hold on it long, just enough to move it out of her area..I'd give it 5 seconds max before the bass spits it out.
So what lure to use? some thing that you can pin point on the nest and aggravate her into a response
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 06:44 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

dam the light just went on a swim bait that looks like a blue gill with a swimming tail load it down with bait fish juice. just work it very slowly right in the nest. letting it sit still maybe a slight twitch. down size the lures storm or calcutta make small 2" baits. if this don't workl go with a 3-4" one. the calcutta will make it look like it is belly resting in the bed while feeding the storm bait will look like it is picking off the eggs in the nest-basicly because of where the weight is located..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 07:09 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1113879561;start=0#7 date=04/19/05 at 14:46:11] I don't know what the answer is. :-/ Â*P N J[/quote]

I like the way you think Of course we all have our OPINIONS but who knows what will work until it's tried. I'm just very opinionated, doesn't mean I know squat :-/

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 08:18 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, I wasn't kidding when I say I don't know how to catch them. I do happen to catch some but its pure luck.If I see the bass tilt head down towards the lure I know I can catch it, otherwise I haven't a clue how to get it to bite.I found that I can catch smallmouth easier on beds but they are usually in 15 ft. of water.You will see a gray spot on the bottom which is usually a bed. It seems as though they are more territorial because I know I am not directly on the bed and they will grab the lure and swim away from the bed.Most times I can't even see the fish on them but I catch them. I say it is pure luck.;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 10:26 AM   #13

Try alkaseltzer in a big black hollow tube, it'll fiz fiz and fiz somemore right on there bed. They CANNOT resist taking it out, its toooo toooo much of a disturbance in their beds!

Thanks!
Old 04-22-05, 09:33 PM   #14
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

if you can see the nests, try slow rolling a spinner bait right infront of the nest usually it take two or three casts to get em to hit it, or urse a 4 inch tube jig rigged weightless and just let it free fall into the nest, the bass usually blast this lure
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 09:42 PM   #15

Default woundering

hey iam matt and ive been woundering whats the best bass bait to fish for in the summer ??? iam only 14 and i know alot of good techniques and i catch alot of fish in the U.P. (upper penninsula) i just wanna get better so i can be in the pro's when im older

thanks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.