Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-05, 07:41 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default kayak

next weekend i will be tryin out a 2 person kayak frrom a guy thats sellin his. im mostly just gunna use it for the little wekiva river cause its not very deep. anyone have any input on a 2 person kakyak and how good it fishes? thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 12:45 AM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: kayak

I fished from a 2 person Kayak last summer in mobile bay. Let me say that it is probably the perfect small water craft if you can limit your tackle. I was fishing alone out of it, and you wouldn't believe how fast I could move. The draft is wonderful, and since 2 man kayaks are longer the tracking was dead on straight. Kayaks allow you to go places that neither bass boats, waders, tubers, canoers or bank fishermen can go. When I get the money I'm buying one myself.

Case in point, when I was in mobile bay I was able to find a small creek, real small, go about 3 miles up it and I caught some bass and bluegill. To get there I went under 2 pedestrain bridges that had an opening about 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall. No other craft could have done that. I take a lot of pride in my small bass boat, a 13 foot v with a 25 horse. I have been able to get to a lot of water that other boats, some larger, some even smaller can't, but my boat would have never got there. You can take the kayak on fast water, rocks, or in florida glide in the swamp with the gators. I havent seen the little wekiva river, but if its what I imagine (i am familiar with small flows in florida), then a kayak will be great.

That being said, I recommend giving this thing a rigorous tryout, make sure you will use it. It is an investment.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 11:39 AM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks, ill make sure i give it a good try out 8)
Old 02-19-05, 04:43 PM   #4
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

One thing I did with my kayak was get some velcro strips and sick them on the kayak with a foam block you can sick your baits in it, or get a little plano tackle storage box and your off to the races!

Hang e'm high till the gills go dry! ( <-copy written so don't copy me :-X) my new saying of the month. ;D

Â* Â*Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 05:17 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Kayaks need a square transom mount for say a 25 hp merc to hang on the back.Of course you may have to buy the outrigger float kit to prevent the back from sinking while you fish and to correct the chine walk running to the honey holes. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 05:24 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

too much energy paddling, and keeping it flat. I like turning the key and going

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 06:56 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

PNJ a kayak with a squared transom would pretty much be a gheenoe. lizards, i can handle it. im young and still full of energy ;D haha
Old 02-19-05, 07:08 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

My freshman and sophomore years here I didn't have a trolling motor handy so I would rent the boat at the local lakes (most around 90 acres) and I would paddle everywhere - I'm talking a 14 foot jon loaded with all my gear. Now that is tough paddling. A kayak? It cuts through the water like a knife.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.