Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-05, 06:14 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default First bass

First bass I ever caught was a 1lb smallmouth out of a lake in Wisconsin when I was 10. Â*It was sunny and I caught it on a worm and bobber. Â*Didn't catch another bass for years. Pure luck.
First largemouth was last year, late March or early April. Â*It was sunny out and post-spawn. Â*Caught it mid-day on a frog jitterbug on long lake. Â*I've been catching 'em ever since.
So when did all of you catch your first bass? Â*On what, where, and under what conditions?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 06:57 PM   #2
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: First bass

Mine was caught at a small pond...would'v been lucky to weigh 1lb...caught it on a tiny brush hog....post spawn bright sunny day
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 07:23 PM   #3
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

I have no idea, probably a worm or minnow, my parents said i have been fishing since i was 1 1/2 or 2 years old. I do remember catching bass on a tiny torpedo in frog color when i was too small to reel them in. I would walk backwards until the fish was on the bank.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 07:23 PM   #4
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

well i caught a couple when i was real little, but i cant rember, but i started really fihing hard last year and i can remeber that day real good. It was early around 6:30 am easter sunday. Bought a new ultralight 3 days before for the start of trout season. So, i went down the road riding my bike carrying a tackle box and my rod. Stopped at friends house to pick him up to go. Get to the pond around 6:45. First cast is around 7:00, because we had to spool his rod, and get out rooster-tails tied on. 1st cast nothing, 2 casts later i reel in a nice 1lb largemouth. 4th cast catch another bass. Then he lands one. Our first double. We had 3 doubles that day. I end up catching around 16 bass and he gets about 5.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 07:33 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i caught my first bass about 2 years ago. ive been fishin for a long time but that was for sunfish and bream it was on the suwwannee river and was less than 1lb. i didnt to catch another one for about a month. it was a bright and sunny day and hot.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 09:50 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I don't know about my first bass, but I sure remember my first KEEPER bass. It was more than a year after I took up fishing, so it didn't come easily. I caught it, a 16"er, from Cayuga Lake in July of 1970. It was mid-afternoon under bluebird skies, and was on a yellow Hula Popper. I was too ignorant then to know you don't use topwater under those conditions. :
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 01:33 AM   #7
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

The first bass I caught was a keeper 5 1/2 pounds. on a river when I was 8 . Was caught on a red and white dare devil.

Oh those were the days! ( is that Archie Bunker?)

Robby
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 01:41 AM   #8
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

My first was a 13 1/2" on a worm under a bobber. I guess you can say that was my first tournament too. I was about 12 and the lake where my families cabin is had a family picnic with a fishing contest for all the kids. Was the biggest fish for the day. After I caught it I couldn't make another cast. Everybody suddenly had to fish right where I was fishing. I don't remember what I won but that wasn't important as was the thrill of catching my first bass.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 01:45 AM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

2 and a half pounds, lake hatchineha florida, about 7 or 8 years ago. I was casting a junebug producto tournament worm, and I lobbed a cast over some bullrushes. The worm sorta just decended down and the bass devored it, I reeled it in like it was a brick (the concept of playing a fish hadn't yet occured to me). It was a good catch for the first fish. 10 minutes later I caught that fish's twin on another patch of rushes...looking back I now see that there was a pattern I could've exploited.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 02:15 AM   #10
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

My first bass was caught on Rodman Reservoir when I was 5 years old. I was fishing with my dad and my uncle and we were going down the river channel in some flooded timber. There were scattered grass patches around and I, armed with my trusty zebco 202 combo(with the whippy 2-piece, semi-translucent solid glass rod) was just kinda dragging my jelly worm(black w/ firetail)past a grass clump. I noticed that everything got heavy all of a sudden and I was reeling in a 3lb. bass! As I recall, I reeled that fish all the way up to the tip of the rod! I don't know how i didn't lose it. :P I was so excited, I even had to ask if it was a bass! To which my dad replied, grinning, " he** yeah, it's a bass"! ;D My uncle, dad and I caught several more fish that day but the 3 lber. was the first fish of the day at about 7:30 - 8:00am. It must have been late spring as it was cool in the morning, but hot all the rest of the day. I can still feel the way the rod was shaking in my hands as the fish was swimming.I can't remember any other fishing trip more vividly than this. ;D ;D ;D ;D
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 02:53 AM   #11
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

Here is a photo with a stringer of a Smallmouth Bass, Bluegills, and a Warmouth I caught when I was 16 in a stream that runs through my family's land in Arkansas. I conceder this Smallmouth to be my first Bass because no one taught me how to fish and I had to learn everything on my own. I was using a Zebco 33, the Smallie was landed on a plastic craw on a 2/0 hook, and the bream were caught on crawlers. I am 28 now with 12 years of Bass fishing under my belt and I still learn something every time I go fishing! Since that day of great fishing I have been hooked and always will be.

Here is my first double digit Bass caught on the same land but in the lake.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 07:38 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well I honestly don't remember the first one, I was too young, my dad would always take us fishing since I can remember. I do have a vivid memory of fishing a little lake as a kid(probably 5-6) and was fishing with worms for catfish. And all of the sudden I'm reeling IN a 2.5lber. I was so excited I was running around the lake. I was so proud, and didn't let anyone touch it. The funniest part was they had a contest going on for the biggest fish. So I went into the takleshop(I was forced to), because I didn't want to give up my fish for nothing. I went in an asked the guy working if they kept my fish if I entered it, and he of course said no. I don't know if I didn't believe him or what, but I still refused to take it in and get it measured. I found out a week later the big fish was 1.5lb catfish so I would've won had I turned it in. I have lots more good memories, especially with my family, those seem to be the best ones. Even today, my dad is my favorite fishing partner.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 10:18 AM   #13
dogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Reading all these "first Bass" stories floods my mind with lots of good memories ! My first bass was a 1 pounder, caught on my 6th birthday from a stock pond in Kansas, with a cane pole that I got as a birthday present. I remember it as the "heaviest" fish I've ever caught :-) Now, every time I hear cottonwood leaves blowing in the wind, I'm reminded of the many times I fished with my Mom and Dad on Kansas creeks for channel cats and bull heads.
Dennis
dogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 10:50 AM   #14
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i got CRS...can't even remember my first piece of....er...cake had to be when i was real young,i think,dang,sucks getting old :-/
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 06:33 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1108588468;start=0#4 date=02/16/05 at 17:33:57]i caught my first bass about Â*2 years ago. ive been fishin for a long time but that was for sunfish and bream it was on the suwwannee river and was less than 1lb. i didnt to catch another one for about a month. it was a bright and sunny day and hot.[/quote]
forgot to mention that i caught it on a live nightcrawler under a fallen tree
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 05:58 PM   #16
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

Can't remember, I've fished since before I was born (sorta, my mom was out on the boat with my dad while she was pregnant) but my first good, solid largemouth was last year, on a live lizard fished over a bed. 7 pounder nailed it. I've fished hard for bass since then
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.