Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-05, 08:41 AM   #1
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott
Default just a tip

Talked to my good fishing buddy yesterday he said hes been catching them for the past 3 weeks on a weighted yum craw right on the bank fishing sticks/heavy brush just slowly dragging it... said he's got some 5+ pounders this way just thought i'de share
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 08:45 AM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: just a tip

the same has been working for me only with a charlies crawdad and i aint catchin no 5 pounders they are all in the 6- 8 lb range. ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 08:53 AM   #3
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats great

Nothings working for me not even a bite in 3 weeks!
Old 04-05-05, 08:58 AM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Thanks Trap..... one of the locals has been encouraging me to pound the rip rap in April as well, using tubes and other craw imitators...... Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:03 AM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

It all makes sense last week with the full moon,

its nice to hear some catch stories
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:43 AM   #6
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

if you havent had a bite in three in weeks you should try alot of different colors and dont stop until you find what they want. 10 casts and swich it always works for me and if you cant find any perticular color try things that you wouuldnt normaly use like, 12 inch worms oversized spinnerbaits things like that.

hope it helps
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 04:12 PM   #7
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Trap, next time I go to the pond I'll try that. Maybe it'll get me something bigger than 2 lbs. Did he say what color is producing for him? Is he fishing it Texas or on a jig?

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 04:50 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Bob, I've had the best luck fishing it on one of these:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

It works better for me than a regular jig jead.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 07:01 PM   #9
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

He's fishing it with a weighted hook t-rigged and its black/blue craw
Old 04-05-05, 07:06 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

trap, is there retintion ponds or golf coarses around you? they are ussually a sure bet for nice bass. but as everywhere else, you have to find what they want and how they want it. then you have to execute and catch them. so its not always garuanteed for a catch, but its a good chance.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 08:30 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1112701265;start=0#9 date=04/05/05 at 18:06:51]trap, is there retintion ponds or golf coarses around you? they are ussually a sure bet for nice bass. but as everywhere else, you have to find what they want and how they want it. then you have to execute and catch them. so its not always garuanteed for a catch, but its a good chance. [/quote]

No offense but the midwest isn't Florida where there are 2 golf courses to every subdivision. Â*And on top of that, it's illegal to fish on private property without permission here in Indiana( I believe it's the same for IL). Â*If you fish them you could see the cops, Â*but usually just asked politely or not so politely to leave. Â*I realize you guys do it all of the time down there. Â*But it still doesn't make it right without getting permission. Â*And believe it or not, you could get hurt badly by a hard hit golf ball. Â*So are your parents going to sue the golf course once you get hurt?

Lizards

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:24 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i know it hurts to get hit by a golf ball, i have. anyways, it was just a suggestion. i dont know alot about the mid-west, and was just suggesting a retintion pond or golf coarse. some golf coarse are legal to fish, the one i fish is legal. and some retintion ponds are also legal to fish. they are good areas to fish if you dont have a boat. i know trap does have a boat, but it is still a good place to fish. if i had a boat i would be all over the lakes down here, but since only my stepdad does, and since he is not to much into bass fishin, im limited to close ponds or golf coarses or lakes that are easily accessible by shore. so again, it was just a suggestion.
Old 04-05-05, 09:40 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1112701265;start=0#11 date=04/05/05 at 20:24:16]i know it hurts to get hit by a golf ball, i have. anyways, it was just a suggestion. i dont know alot about the mid-west, and was just suggesting a retintion pond or golf coarse. some golf coarse are legal to fish, the one i fish is legal. and some retintion ponds are also legal to fish. they are good areas to fish if you dont have a boat. i know trap does have a boat, but it is still a good place to fish. if i had a boat i would be all over the lakes down here, but since only my stepdad does, and since he is not to much into bass fishin, im limited to close ponds or golf coarses or lakes that are easily accessible by shore. so again, it was just a suggestion.[/quote]

Didn't mean to rattle your chain, just be careful. Also if your stepdad has a boat, and doesn't use it, then work out a plan to buy it from him, so you can use it. It may take you 30 years to pay for it(depending on what it is) But there is no reason for a boat to sit and rot, when it could be used. Just a suggestion

Lizards
Old 04-05-05, 10:54 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

my stepdad and i have spent hours and hours workin on it together. when he bought it, it wasnt in good shape, so we redid the whole thing. its being used every weekend for saltwater fishin. every time we fresh water fish, we fish for crappie :P and sometimes i can get some bass fishin in, but we are ussually drifting in the middle of a lake and not around any good structure. so, i try every now and then to get him to take me bass fishin, he says later in the year he will let me, and also let me night fish when we put the trott lines out. so, its bein used by us, just not for bass :P dont worry about it lizards, i need a good rattlein every now and then ;D keeps me in line.
Old 04-05-05, 10:58 PM   #15
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Rattle and Reb. Reb, what size do you prefer, or do you use both?

Bob

P.S. Too bad nobody on here is named Shake. Then we could say Shake, Rattle and Reb.
Old 04-05-05, 11:09 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Bob, I have some of both, but use the 1/4 oz. the most.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 11:26 PM   #17
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Live in a small town closet golf course to me is about 30 minutes away and they wont allow fishing... which kinda ticks me off because they allow drunks to walk around and act stupid but you cant fish? I dont know whats more dangerous a sobber person taking a chance of getting hit by a golf ball or a drunk guy taking a chance of fallin in the water..
Old 04-05-05, 11:33 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

its acyually really easy to not get hit by a golf ball. what you have to do is ask a golfer where all the holes are, then just stay clear of that area. i learned the hard way, i was fishin a pond right down a hill from a hole, and a golfer was hitting the ball towards me over the pond, he didnt see me and i got drilled in the upper thigh. about 4'' to the right, and i would probally not be havin babys in my life so i make sure not to get in the way of the golfers. they are ussaully really nice people, and the beverage lady will give you free soda or water(atleast she gives me free water and soda) if she sees you.
Old 04-05-05, 11:47 PM   #19
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

What is the big deal with these golf courses? Around here ya gotta sneak in at night(something I never did(yet)). Why do they stock them with bass if no one can fish them. Asking for permission doesn't work here either. There are two different course lakes about 2 miles away from me that are loaded with lunkers. What a waste. I have to drive about 30 miles to the pond I fish. With gas prices I guess I'll have to learn to river fish for bass.

Bob
Old 04-06-05, 08:09 AM   #20
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=news;num=1112701265;start=0#18 date=04/05/05 at 22:47:05]What is the big deal with these golf courses? Around here ya gotta sneak in at night(something I never did(yet)). Why do they stock them with bass if no one can fish them. Asking for permission doesn't work here either. There are two different course lakes about 2 miles away from me that are loaded with lunkers. What a waste. I have to drive about 30 miles to the pond I fish. With gas prices I guess I'll have to learn to river fish for bass.

Bob[/quote]

They aren't neccesarrily "STOCKED" by the golf course. The birds, or other folks could have done it here. You don't have to put a fish in the water for them to get there The reason they have a lot of nice fish, is because you can't fish them. If you ask what time they open, and ask if you could fish before they start having folks come out, sometimes they will let you. The whole issue is liabilty. No one wants to get sued over someone drowning, getting hit with a golf ball etc.. If they don't make an effort to keep folks off of the course, and something happens to that person, well they get sued for being nice. I know it's lousy, but it is the way the attorneys have made it today. If I own land and you go out there without permission, and get hurt, then I could be liable because I didn't post enough signs or put up a fence. Yes it's ridiculous, but again, these lawsuits happen everyday. I have found that other waters are also very productive. So I just fish other bodies of water. There are too many decent places to fish.

Lizards
Old 04-06-05, 08:24 AM   #21
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=news;num=1112701265;start=0#18 date=04/05/05 at 22:47:05]What is the big deal with these golf courses? Around here ya gotta sneak in at night(something I never did(yet)). Why do they stock them with bass if no one can fish them. Asking for permission doesn't work here either. There are two different course lakes about 2 miles away from me that are loaded with lunkers. What a waste. Â*I have to drive about 30 miles to the pond I fish. With gas prices I guess I'll have to learn to river fish for bass.[/quote]

The big deal is the golf course is PRIVATE property. That means they get to make the rules. If by chance you happen to be near a publically owned golf course THEY still get to make the rules. A golf course was built to play golf on. Not to fish on. If you ask and they say it's ok, great. If they say no, you say "Thank you for your trouble," and leave.
Bob
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 02:48 PM   #22
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Often times a golf course will close on a particular day in the week for greens keeping etc..
If yours does then that should be a good time to venture out.
We used to fish golf courses and we would fish on the road side of the coarse. That was of course when there was a road side along the edge of the pond.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 07:38 PM   #23
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

the local golf course has a water hazard you bet i drove my boat right in front of the 18th green there was some big bass beds in there last spring. they turn the sprinkler's on at 8:15 am -gee wonder how i found this out- also the 7th green is on the water they do have a "hazard bouy " out in the middle of the creek-in 30 feet of water-i have had a couple golf balls narrowly miss me.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 12:56 AM   #24
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

I found out tonight that a fireman buddy of mine works at one of the golf courses. He rides around and patrols the course. Maybe he can get me in to fish the pond. Also, I never thought about the courses being dangerous and private property. Makes sense they wouldn't want to be liable for a law suit. Point well taken.

Bob

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.