Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-05, 11:05 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Tourney Rules, and Etiquette

Well I have now competed in 3 different tourneys as a non-boater. I have had 2 good guys, and 1 back boating loser > I have a couple of questions for those of you who fish tourneys. I know some of the rules may be petty or insignificant, but they are the rules. So when your partner breaks the rules how do you handle it? I don't want to be a tattle tail, or get a bad reputation as a co-angler considering if I continue to fish tournaments that is what I'll do for at least another year. Here's a couple of examples where, the boater, and I(since I allowed it) have broken the rules. On one of the tourneys my boater was having a decent morning, so he wanted to call his son(15 yrs old) to tell him, which I didn't mind. However it's pretty specific in the rules about no cell phones except in case of an emergency. Another tourney, the guy would never wait till I got my life jacket on before starting the motor, he was putting off a wake in no wake zones(my opinion). He had me run the trolling motor while he was retieing. As a general rule he was a complete a$$ IMO, and didn't care about anything other than him catching fish to stay in the top 40. He did several things that could have gotten him DQ'd. Now I have not reported any of these, and I am leary to say anything. The phone call was really no big deal, but the other issues from the other jerk were a lot more drastic. I could have been DQ'd also, but how do you handle it delicately? If I say something, then I'm gonna have a pissed off boater all day, if I don't report it, and someone else does, I look like a cheater too, and get DQ'd? Anyway I would like to have some input from you guys that do tourney fish. Kinda new to this, and trying to work it out. Most of you know I'm probably a little more straight laced then most folks, so this does put some questions in my mind as to the whole fairness/cheating thing.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 02:52 PM   #2
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw
Default Re: Tourney Rules, and Etiquette

Make sure he is aware of the "set" rules. Tell him what's ok and what's not.
Your opinion us as good as anyones. Chances are that he'll listen and act appropriately. In the event that he doesn't then explain your situation ref. the items at hand.
Be polite and tactful.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 05:54 PM   #3
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Well Lizards rules are rules. I probably wouldn't say anything about the infractions you mentioned because it wasnt like it helped him catch more fish to win the tourney. And like you said you don't want to rock the boat so to speak. Honestly though I'm surprised that you havn't been back boated 3 out of 3. I'd say the majority of those guys couldn't care less if you catch a fish.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 07:24 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i belive wtl is right these guys are only looking out for them selves. there are 2 kinds of fisherman those that are going for points and those that are after a check. i don't either one.

if i was back boated all day as you were. i would have wrote an protest to the tournament director. suprised bassnman did not when back boated for 1.5 hours.

tactfully is always better.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 08:41 PM   #5
kadida
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kadida

I'm new to the board and don't want to start off on the wrong foot but I don't see any major complaints about your boaters.

After the first time you didn't have your lifejacket on you should of seen his pattern. Did he put his rod down,strap it and lift the trolling motor and stow it. Then put his life jacket on and walk back to the whell and start his big motor. During this time you didn't have time to put on your life jacket? I can see it happening the first time but everytime?

So you had to run the trolling motor while he retied big deal. You had choice water then and at least he didn't let the boat dift away aimlessly so you couldn't fish.By you running the boat it actually allowed both of you more time to fish. You kept the boat in position so when he was done re-tieing he didn't have to waste time getting back to the spot you were fishing before he had to re-tie. Did you ever get snagged and he had to stop or turn around to get your lure? If so he helped you out and in return you ran the motor to help the both of you out.

I don't wanna sound like a jerk but if those are the only problems you've had so far as a non-boater consider yourself lucky.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one. Non-boaters are at a disadvantage 90% of the time no doubt. But being a boater does make you a taxi driver for the day. you guys have to work together and help eachother make the most of the day. you will find that most boaters you help will help you. Back them down if you can, offer gas money, help them whip the baot down. in return they'll turn around for you snag or be decent about giving you a chance to fish some fresh water.

A little team work from both parties will go a long way.

kadida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 09:40 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=John_Cullum link=board=MessBoards;num=1119535557;start=0#4 date=06/23/05 at 19:41:10]I'm new to the board and don't want to start off on the wrong foot but I don't see any major complaints about your boaters.

After the first time you didn't have your lifejacket on you should of seen his pattern. Did he put his rod down,strap it and lift the trolling motor and stow it. Then put his life jacket on and walk back to the whell and start his big motor. During this time you didn't have time to put on your life jacket? I can see it happening the first time but everytime?

So you had to run the trolling motor while he retied big deal. You had choice water then and at least he didn't let the boat dift away aimlessly so you couldn't fish.By you running the boat it actually allowed both of you more time to fish. You kept the boat in position so when he was done re-tieing he didn't have to waste time getting back to the spot you were fishing before he had to re-tie. Did you ever get snagged and he had to stop or turn around to get your lure? If so he helped you out and in return you ran the motor to help the both of you out.

I don't wanna sound like a jerk but if those are the only problems you've had so far as a non-boater consider yourself lucky.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one. Non-boaters are at a disadvantage 90% of the time no doubt. But being a boater does make you a taxi driver for the day. you guys have to work together and help eachother make the most of the day. you will find that most boaters you help will help you. Back them down if you can, offer gas money, help them whip the baot down. in return they'll turn around for you snag or be decent about giving you a chance to fish some fresh water.

A little team work from both parties will go a long way.

[/quote]
Jim,

I understand all of your points. As for the life jacket isssue, I'm fishing, and working off the boat. I look up and he's putting his rod up, and raising the trolling motor. By the time I even get my line reeled in he's got the motor started, no warning, no saying, we're gonna move in a minute, nothing. Just walks back and starts motor. As for me running the trolling motor, it's clearly in the rules I can't fish from the front on be on the front deck. I gave him money before we left the dock. I am overly pleasant to folks who I happen to be on THEIR boat. The issues I raise is for the following example. I have caught a few fish in the livewell. I then get asked to run the trolling motor while he's retying. Someone from the tourney sees this and reports it. I then get disqualified for running the trolling motor and being up front. I wish I was fishing up front all day, but that's not how the rules are set. Or if he isn't idling in an idle zone, and I don't report it, then again I get DQ'd. I realize I will get some jerks, and I can deal with that. What I don't want to deal with is getting DQ'd because I just going along with the boater, since it's his boat, and don't want him backboating me all day. I know I'm sounding like a whiney kid, but these are the facts. Our tournament director made it very clear on our last pre-tournament meeting. That if the boater broke the no wake zone, and the non-boater didn't turn him in, and it was reported by someone else. WE BOTH WOULD BE DQ'd. So how can I combat that. On one hand I want to fish as much as possible, and don't have a problem running any trolling motor, but if I do, then I get DQ'd. Well I would rather wait and cast to open water till he gets done. The last guy was even running on about what a great non-boater I was and how he hopes he draws me again. If that doesn't tell you how easy I am to get along with on a boat then I don't know what to tell you. I want to protect myself, if the boater is gonna cheat, I don't want to be involved in it. And since I'm in the back with no control, how do I avoid the confrontations, or chance of getting DQ'd without getting a bad reputation. I realize many of these things are minor. I dont care personally about a lot of them. But I do have to fish within the rules, or I could be the one everyone is saying has cheated etc... And to put it technically, I have, if I do run the trolling motor, or cast from the front deck. So now I'm between a rock and a hard place. What would you have done?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 03:33 PM   #7
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I wouldn't have run the trolling motor, I'd have just told him I wasn't allowed(tourney rules). The deal with the just taking off, I'd have asked him after the 1st time to give me some kind of heads up. The DQ deal about the "no-wake", I don't agree with that- the non-boater has no control over the operation of the boat. The IBF dealt with this last year, at 1st they wanted to have where both would be DQ'd but a bunch of the members discussed it with the Director and it was made to where the only one DQ'd was the boater.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 05:49 PM   #8
kadida
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kadida

Now I understand, I wasn't clear that it was an event in which the non-boater wasn't able to run the trolling motor due to the rules being violated. I wasn't sure what event you were fishing in. If your in that situation again by no means should you run the motor. The boater is aware of the rules also and he shouldn't ask you to break them or put you in a situation where you may do so.

The "no wake" part is a tough one. I guess finding out what the rules state in that case would be most important. If the rules clearly state only the boat driver shall be dis qualified then no worries. But on the other hand no wake zones are usually posted for a reason so he may be putting you or others in danger.

Sorry for the confusion on my part about the trolling motor rules. I didn't see it in your post and I jump to the conclusion that you just didn't wanna run ti.

Good luck this year in your tourneys.
kadida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 06:43 PM   #9
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Lizards,

Those are all tough ones. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. Maybe all you need to do is turn someone in one time and the word will get out that your pretty serious about following the rules and any future boaters that you fish with will respect that. Of course they could turn that against you by back boating you. The tough thing is that if the tables were turned and you were a boater with a non-boater you wouldn't put the non-boater in those kind of positions. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 08:15 PM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

rules are rules.....you have to get everything squared up before you even blast off..explain to the boater that you play strictly by the rules.if he isn't hearing you another mention of it is in order.if the boater STILL does it his way,just tell him you will have no choice but to protest him.if he continues breaking rules he should not be allowed to participate in tourneys.there is no room for guys like that in our sport.
i like to think we are held to high standards.i am constantly asking the non- boater if he's OK back there.i would rather lose a tourney than have someone think of me as a sh*thead.
just because the boater is a jerk does not mean you have to follow suit.play fair...and have fun.
i can go on for hours on this subject but i get dizzy standing on the soapbox.

BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 12:33 AM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZ,

The next tourney, you need to bring these problems up at the tourney meeting. Explain to the tourny director that while the boater is re-tying the boat is drifting out of control and you are unable to fish. This is unfair to the non-boater and you think the non-boater should be allowed to control the boat while the boater is unable to.
Also, bring up the matter of the boat wake, and explain that the non boater has no control over this and should not be DQ'd because of a AH boater.
As far as the pfd complaint, I wear my own SOSpenders, and do not have to worry about taking it off and putting it on, I leave it on.
What type of tourney are you fishing with these kind of rules. I have never heard of being DQ's for running the TM or the driver making a wake in a no-wake zone. The no wake problem is usually handled by water patrol in the form of a citation.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 09:07 AM   #12
davew

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1119535557;start=0#0 date=06/23/05 at 10:05:56]Well I have now competed in 3 different tourneys as a non-boater. Â*I have had 2 good guys, and 1 back boating loser > Â*I have a couple of questions for those of you who fish tourneys. Â*I know some of the rules may be petty or insignificant, but they are the rules. Â*So when your partner breaks the rules how do you handle it? Â*I don't want to be a tattle tail, or get a bad reputation as a co-angler considering if I continue to fish tournaments that is what I'll do for at least another year. Â*Here's a couple of examples where, the boater, and I(since I allowed it) have broken the rules. Â*On one of the tourneys my boater was having a decent morning, so he wanted to call his son(15 yrs old) to tell him, which I didn't mind. Â*However it's pretty specific in the rules about no cell phones except in case of an emergency. Â*Another tourney, the guy would never wait till I got my life jacket on before starting the motor, he was putting off a wake in no wake zones(my opinion). Â*He had me run the trolling motor while he was retieing. Â*As a general rule he was a complete a$$ IMO, and didn't care about anything other than him catching fish to stay in the top 40. Â*He did several things that could have gotten him DQ'd. Â*Now I have not reported any of these, and I am leary to say anything. Â*The phone call was really no big deal, but the other issues from the other jerk were a lot more drastic. Â*I could have been DQ'd also, but how do you handle it delicately? Â*If I say something, then I'm gonna have a pissed off boater all day, if I don't report it, and someone else does, I look like a cheater too, and get DQ'd? Â*Anyway I would like to have some input from you guys that do tourney fish. Â*Kinda new to this, and trying to work it out. Â*Most of you know I'm probably a little more straight laced then most folks, so this does put some questions in my mind as to the whole fairness/cheating thing.

Lizards[/quote]

I have personally fished with inbreeds like that
i let it got the first few times when i was new to tourneys... then i started to open my mouth right to the boater
I would say look i paid as much as you to fish today can you keep the boat parrell so i have a chance also?

when that didnt get me anywhere I opened my mouth to the club director...

in the end it got me ousted out of a club
mind you this was a non bass federated club and each boater used the co anglers as money sacks and netters..

you learn in a few short tourneys if you really want to be in that club is all i can say

there are better clubs out there it takes time to find them is all

Old 06-27-05, 07:45 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i prefure a team tourny over a man to man tourny set up.-fished both-the team tourny set up is much better.
there is less back boating in this style of fishing. as the idea with the team tourny's is simple the guy in the back of the boat. catches what the guy in the front misses.as for running of trolling moter. i have no problem with doing it. it is a safty issue really, the average time to rerig-a carolina rig- is 3 mintues. that is 3 mintues of little or no control of the boat. i would rather have some one run the tm while i am rerigging than have the boat float out in to traffic. and be run down by some drunken clown in a ski boat.-see my point here?-
as dave said before welcome to tourny fishing..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 06-27-05, 09:02 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, Welcome to the real world of tournament fishing.It sucks quite frankly, If I never fished another tournament as long as I live, it would be perfectly fine with me. Somehow they have to take the purse out of the equasion, then it would be fun again.I am trying to get a night tournament and an open tournament circuit going with like a $10.00 entry fee 100% payback , but give out more money back to say 5 places. I know it sounds corny , but then it would eliminate the stuff people do to win, and put the fun and sport back into fishing.I am working to get future sponsors like Bass pro shop and other businesses & companies to donate some prizes & do the small things like that to make it a family oriented event. I am getting good and negative responses, but I had the most fun in the small clubs I fished than in any of the bigger clubs I fished.That is the direction that I want to go instead of the $75.00+ entry fees per tournament for the big pay off when you ocassionally win, but never make new freinds, or fished to enjoy the day amonst freinds. Money is a very bad thing to persue while trying to relax and unwind from your regular job. I say adjust your life to fish for fun and not for profit, and you will be a better person for it in the long haul.That next @sshole we hear about backboating might be in reference to you from a newbie .By the way IL. Bassin, I would bet my bottom dollar you were correct, he did get back boated 3 out of 3 , 2 were at this game longer knowing how to make the non boater feel comfortable and secure without knowing he is being backboated.I wish I were wrong , but I do not think I am, please do not take my word for it, find out from your own experience, and feel free to email me telling me I was wrong. I will apologize to those in need of one, Not all tournament people are bad people, its the survival of the placing in the money that creates the little monsters your quick to hear about.I had a really good freind who past away from cancer, who spent alot of time taking me fishing with him teaching me to become where I am at in fishing, but He & 2 other guys cheated in a tournament to beat "the guy to beat on that certain lake" and they got caught doing it, so he was marked for the rest of his life, never allowed to fish by himself without a non boater in the boat. The truth is he was a better fisherman and a better person than to have to do that, he just made the wrong decision, and he paid a heavy price for it.I am glad I went and fished as often as I did with him, he taught me alot of the things people overlook while out fishing that makes a huge difference in catching a few fish and catching alot of fish.Sorry for rambling on , P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 04:22 PM   #15
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

Lizards-Man o man, I know exactly what you are talking about, I have been in that situation a few times myself. Luckily I was raised to never take chit off anyone, and I carry my 6'2", 230lb azz pretty well, I would alwasy call the guy out while I was on the boat. I never went to the tourney director or anything, but I would call the main boater out on the water.,......
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 04:23 PM   #16
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

And the I went and bought a boat and became the a-hole in the front. I like that role alot better...lol
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 06:39 PM   #17
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

I'm a couple of years at least until I'm ready to fish tourney's but I'm with Zooker. When I start I'm going to get into team tourney's with someone I enjoy fishing with. That way no matter what whether we don't weigh in any fish or win a tournament I know I'm going to have fun. I have a competitive fire that needs to be lit every once in a while but I don't have any aspirations of turning pro.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 07:46 PM   #18
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

strap has the idea.
i fished quite alot of wildcat team tourny's which were fun and fairly cheap being $25 a boat mostly night tourny's 5pm-9pm. then my buddy shot him self -almost took his arm off- he just was not into it as much any more. he took his boat out only 5 times last year. i was kinda in a rut fishing the same lakes all the time and i was looking for a change.

i had been in a couple of clubs before. the heated exchanges between several members -including a fist fight- over the tourny dates. was a bit much. and particapation was slim to none.kind sucked fishing against the same 3 guys all the time.

one thing i will say for my currant club. every body fishes. every body attends the meetings. although realtivly small. they definatly got there stuff togather.we fish 12 differant lakes a year not counting the bass federation 6 man tournament. with one exception every body pretty much will openly discuss what is working and what aint. but not colors,locations,and presention's.

and 2 of the members- besides my self- are on this site

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 06-28-05, 08:53 PM   #19
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Oh but Zooker, you should have seen the club prior to your entering. Actually, it was the first year that I was with the club. We had some guys who wouldn't fish if they didn't like the lake. The club pres. was one of these people. I kept claiming that we needed a point system to keep people coming to meetings and tournaments, but it was voted down. (by the pres.)
Now that some people are no longer connected with our club we have the points system. When the pres. quit then so did others that he took with him. Seems that they followed whatever he did.
To these members I say: don't let the door hit you in the A**.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 06:51 PM   #20
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i did not know that about the club. then i guess it is better huh?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.