Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-04, 09:05 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Choice of Fishing spots in the USA

Well I would like to know what everyones CHOICE of fishing locations would be, and what time of year, if you had 1 place to pick. Think of it this way. If you had an opportunity to take a vacation, and fish anywhere in the USA (for BASS of course) where would you go and what time of the year would you go. ??? I will be taking at least 1 trip fishing in 2005, and was wanting some input about destinations, and times. I will be posting here where and when I'm going once I make that determination, and perhaps some of you would like to join me 8) Anyway, I want to keep it in the USA, mainly because I can definately swing it, and honestly, right now in the world, I wouldn't feel as safe as I do here

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 11:13 AM   #2

Default Re: Choice of Fishing spots in the USA

Lake Okeechobee, Florida. I'm partial of course because I guide there half the year. Jan., Feb. and Mar. are the best months for a lunker if the frontal systems aren't too bad. It can get real windy (20mph plus) and temps in the 30's and 40's. However mostly temps in the 80's. Beautiful in the winter. If you catch it right, it can be fantastic!! I've got some pictures on my site. www.floridabassguide.com If you email me, I'll send you a report. Capt. Leo.
Old 11-27-04, 11:32 AM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have bass fished a lot on the east coast,both north and south.i have no intrest in going to CA what so ever-sorry guys-for me texas or mexico would be nice.but if i had to choose just one place it would be the amazon river after huge peacock bass. in november-there spawn time.a week of fishing will set ya back about 3k which is pretty good.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 02:17 PM   #4

The whole month of march on Lake Fork!! I like fishing that prespawn time more than the heat of the spawn due to a lot less fishing pressure. In 2003 anglers avegraged a little over 30 fish per day over 8 pounds were caught and reported at local marinas in the month of march. I like to pitch jigs close to standing timber in 5 to 12 feet of water for those BIG fish, black and blue!!!
Old 11-27-04, 03:00 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, if you decide on Texas you be sure to let me know. If you get that close we ought to try to hook up.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 03:15 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Kissimmee/Hatchineha in mid-march. Basically the same type of deal Capt. Leo is talkin about, the fish are spawning ect.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 03:27 PM   #7
bassguy2004

Sorry Zooker, that you wouldn't be intrested in going to California. I'd go to Clear Lake in the spring where the big bass are.
Old 11-27-04, 07:08 PM   #8
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i will let you you know after 24 may . i book a two day guide trip to the big o. my guide is ranger rod. hooked up with him on fish talk.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 07:37 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

I'll take the butler chain in fla.in july..that's where and when i got my 14 1/2lber.
been to fork in march of 2002,i'll never do that again(go in march,i mean).
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 07:45 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey bassintom, does the butler chain have that real gin clear water, or is it more tea colored?
Old 11-27-04, 08:39 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

its tea colored like the rest of floridas waters. But it is pretty clear for tea-colored water.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-04, 09:34 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Capt. Leo link=board=MessBoards;num=1101557127;start=0#1 date=11/27/04 at 09:13:50]Lake Okeechobee, Florida. I'm partial of course because I guide there half the year. Jan., Feb. and Mar. are the best months for a lunker if the frontal systems aren't too bad. It can get real windy (20mph plus) and temps in the 30's and 40's. However mostly temps in the 80's. Beautiful in the winter. If you catch it right, it can be fantastic!! I've got some pictures on my site. www.floridabassguide.com If you email me, I'll send you a report. Capt. Leo.[/quote]

Thanks for the input, that one of the ones on the TOP of my list Welcome to the site by the way, and please come around more often, we can always use some good bassin info from some pros 8) I will go to your site and check it out.

Thanks to all for your input, except zooker of course :-/ He must not have read IN THE USA. I will make a decision by the end of Dec first of Jan and probably book my trip. I will go with a guide unless someone here is where I'm going and wants to guide for me Anyway thanks again, and keep up the input.

Lizards
Old 11-27-04, 09:44 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

no i read it
of all the fishing i have done in fl i was not that impressed with the results for the money. i did say texas or ole mexico.
but for the money and fish size peacock bass on the amazon because they fight harder are meaner and are plum huge-15-25pounds. not to mention ya use top water baits-we all know about these-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-27-04, 09:55 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1101557127;start=0#12 date=11/27/04 at 19:44:11]no i read it
of all the fishing i have done in fl i was not that impressed with the results for the money. i did say texas or ole mexico.
but for the money and fish size peacock bass on the amazon because they fight harder are meaner and are plum huge-15-25pounds. not to mention ya use top water baits-we all know about these-

zooker[/quote]

I know you're a good sport that's why the little dig there. I agree with ya, I would LOVE to go fishing down there sometime, but it won't be in 2005, I would also like to go for the big Redfish in the saltwater, using topwater also, that would be almost as awesome

Lizards
Old 11-27-04, 10:04 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i did say the cost was modest did i not 3000-3800 for a 10 day guided trip-7 days fishing. ya room on a "mother ship"-read that yacht-also the amazon river is home to the largest known cat fish in the world -called a payara-they also have a leopard cat fish which is buy far the prettiest cat fish you will ever see.

check this site out
worldwideangling.com
click on amazom voyager-or any of the other amazon areas-these are all differant outfitter/guide services.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-27-04, 11:30 PM   #16
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

Before I leave GA in spring, Im going to Old Spring Hill in Alabama, they have a web site I get it for you. They have four controlled lakes, they feed the bass down there shinners and shad and have harvest slot bass twice a year. I think I found them In Bassin mag, anyway 6-8 lbs are common and there are a few monsters 10lbs+ hanging around. Since you like to use lizzards I suggest fishing the spawn, they love to protect there nests(read that on bassresource.com lol). Anyway If you wanna go I loved to wet a line with you.
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-04, 01:43 PM   #17
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

If you come to Central Fl you can do all the above. The Butler Chain is in Orlando, the Stick Marsh/ Farm 13 ( My #1 choice) is about 1 1/2 hours from there (15-20 min. from home), and The big O is about 2-3 hours south of all the above. There are hundreds of lakes in Central Fl and the St Johns River is also a huge source. If you decide on Fla, Ill be more than happy to hook up with ya, or just give you my number for any help on directions or locations of places. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-04, 03:00 PM   #18
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

what hoseholder said, central florida is awesome cause you can fish tons of lakes:Okeechobee both lake tohos, st.johns river system, stick marsh, butler chain, etc.
Old 11-28-04, 03:49 PM   #19
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Florida has been mentioned a lot for a very good reason....right now in alabama it is 40 something degrees and it seems like it has been raining for the past week. I can only imagine that it is even worse in some of the more northern states. I cannot imagine that it is anything other than 74 degrees and partly cloudy in florida right now.

Old 11-28-04, 04:20 PM   #20
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Close WTl, its 75 and not a cloud in the sky.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.