Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-10, 01:36 AM   #1
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fly Rods

Do any of you guys fly fish for bass? The other day my dad gave me his "old" 2 yr old combo and I just found out its a $350 combo! Anyways its a G.Loomis EastFork reel and a Cabelas PT 7wt. rod. He also gave me a bunch of bass flies. So he gave me a brief lesson on casting and what not. So I head over to the pond and tie a little popper on it. So I'm messing around with it for about a half hr and get a ~3lb LM on the line, man I tell you what. It was sooo much more fun than catching it on a spinning/casting rod. I think I'm hooked. So do any of you guys fly fish? And if you do, do you have any recommendations on flies for bass?
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 06:29 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I will be watching this thread closely... I have been wanting to fly fish for a while and have decided to get a cheap $50 combo to try out. Yesterday, while i was being skunked at a local 5 acre lake, i was watching as bass and trout were busting insects on teh surface wishin i had a dry fly of some sort....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 08:42 AM   #3
HarveysMinnow

Default Definitely

Basshunter, you took the thread right off my spool ... lol. I was thinking of starting a similar entry.

Over the years, I have probably fly fished more than any other way. As you said, once you're hooked, it's definitely a fun way to fish. Some of the biggest bass I've caught in times past were on surface lures at the end of a fly line. Bluegill and other 'panfish' can be loads of fun this way also.

One thing I've learned about lures: You don't always have to use a larger 'popper' to catch a large fish. If they are feeding on the surface, they will hit whatever they see. Late one evening, I was casting along the bank of a farm pond with a really small popper. It was almost too dark to see. Right in front of a bush growing at the water's edge something faintly 'kissed' the surface, and I saw my line start to move. My immediate thought was "little brim" [brim - southern version of 'bream', collectively panfish] and when I pulled the line tight, I thought I was hung on a stump or root. I didn't think that for long, however, and the fight that ensued included a lot of out-of-the-water acrobatics by a bass that weighed just under 3lb. Sounds like you've had similar experience recently.

The only downside to fly-fishing that I've ever encountered, is that it can be tiring, if you go at it all day long, like I used to do. Also, if you are fishing from the bank, you need some space behind you for the backcasts. (Some people are adept with the "roll cast", but I have never been one of them.) Also, most folks find that fly casting takes more skill, especially if they are fishing for trout, but it sounds like your father is an experienced fly fisherman, so you are probably in good hands for learning.

Good luck...

Old 07-12-10, 10:19 AM   #4
basshunter21

Ya I'm looking forward to learning alot more about it as I go. It seems like its pretty tedious. My dad always tells me hes asks himself all the time why the hell he still does it. I'm really looking forward to steel head season, because I live within a mile of some of the best steel head creeks in the US. Thanks for the advice to harvey, I've always liked your sig as well.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 04:34 PM   #5
geezer1

I spent 6 years in Alaska many moons ago (compliments of the USAF) & fell in love with fly fishing for trout. I know exactly how you feel, bh21. It sure is a blast. Never tried it for Bass (had to return to my beloved baitcasters), but I'm sure it's a hoot. Just keep practicing your presentation. That's what it's really all about with flies. I'm sure there are several here who Bass fish with flies & will be much more helpful. Have fun!
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 04:49 PM   #6
Mac2

Clousers along the bottom, wooly buggers for mid depths and poppers and sneaky petes for the top and sub surface diving...... Should be a good start.... If you get into tying, you can save a bunch in the long run and occupy your winters with hours of enjoyment.

Hope this helps, Mac

Also meant to mention, some fly shops feature bass sections.......also can google flies and a lot of the sites also feature bass sections.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 10:02 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have 5 flyrods buddy. 3 have line on them. 2 do not as of yet. haven't had the time to do any so far this year. but i love fly fishing for bass. it's a lot of fun.
Old 07-12-10, 10:31 PM   #8
TnTom

I keep a fly rod in the boat and fish bass with it regularly. I've found the Muddler Minnow for top water and Macs got it right on all three . There easy to tie. The Muddler isn't the toughest to tie but I think its the most fun. Its done by spinning bucktail on the shank and then shaping with a scissor and razor blade. They float high and move water, easily mistaken for a mouse, Bass can't handle it, they tear it up.
Starting out you'll be the most productive fishing top water but many guys have a hard time going under watervand the Clouser and Woolies are killer.
Your in a great part of the country for flyin. I spent a year in Mahway NJ finishing up some work and spent my weekends having a ball. Didnt get into any Pa. creeks but had I more time (and I may go back) I'd sure would have checked it out.
There are so many elements involved in fly fishing and the internet will take you on a long long journey that has no return. Sort of Zen like. The casting will take care of itself. Do a lot of reading and you can get more than proficient in the back yard with no fly tied on. With Bass the leader is of little significance. I use some mono. When you start looking for trout and steelhead for sure your leader set-up become critical - not complicated- but specific to perfect fly presentation (turn over). Bass are relatively retarded. When trout see a real insect they think some guy trying to trick them. They'll bump it and watch how it reacts if they like it maybe they'll bite.
I think most guys who fly fish will confess they may have caught more fish using other methods, trout or otherwise. Or not.
I use grahite, glass, and bamboo rods new and old and my favorite reel is 40 years old but the technology in the drag systems have become space age and make a big difference when trying to get a big one netted.
The flys Mac mentioned are easy to tie and the Muddler is easy as it is a larger fly it just has a "twist" that once you hold your tongue right the hair spins right around the shank. They are fun to tie. A little Adam takes me about 10 minutes to tie but after I tie 50 or so I can get it down to 5-6 minutes. Hard core tiers knock them out in 2-3 minutes.
Dive in. You'll love it. http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/pa...uddler-minnow/ Check this site out it has a lot of patterns and the how to tie. this one is the muddler minnow, good tutorial.

Last edited by TnTom; 07-12-10 at 10:37 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:24 AM   #9
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I enjoy flyfishing as an option. I have caught some bass on my flyrod. Largest a little over 3 pounds. Mostly catch bream on mine which can be quite fun if the bass aren't cooperating.

I started a similar thread a while back:
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=21597

Last edited by AUFred; 07-13-10 at 09:04 AM.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 01:12 PM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
Do any of you guys fly fish for bass? The other day my dad gave me his "old" 2 yr old combo and I just found out its a $350 combo! Anyways its a G.Loomis EastFork reel and a Cabelas PT 7wt. rod. He also gave me a bunch of bass flies. So he gave me a brief lesson on casting and what not. So I head over to the pond and tie a little popper on it. So I'm messing around with it for about a half hr and get a ~3lb LM on the line, man I tell you what. It was sooo much more fun than catching it on a spinning/casting rod. I think I'm hooked. So do any of you guys fly fish? And if you do, do you have any recommendations on flies for bass?
And that is exactly why I'm putting it off. I'm too afraid my spinning and casting gear will become glorified dust collectors. I have this feeling that I am going to really enjoy fly fishing with flies and poppers.
Old 07-13-10, 02:22 PM   #11
AUFred

For me flyfishing will never take over from chunking my baitcasters or tossing my spinning gear. It is just fun for those times when the bass won't cooperate or if you get the opportunity for trout or other game fish which need a delicate touch. I mostly flyfish with topwater flies and do love the topwater bite.
Old 07-13-10, 05:09 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
For me flyfishing will never take over from chunking my baitcasters or tossing my spinning gear. It is just fun for those times when the bass won't cooperate or if you get the opportunity for trout or other game fish which need a delicate touch. I mostly flyfish with topwater flies and do love the topwater bite.
This is kind of my mind set as well. When i was at that local lake on sunday morning, i could see fish busting bugs everywhere.... but they wouldnt hit my pop'r or tiny torpedo... i assume they were way to big for these fish. I kept thinkin how great it would be to have a fly rod along side my bait caster and spinning gear as just another part of a complete fishing package.... another technique to use when nothing else is working...
Old 07-14-10, 08:34 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

To really enjoy all that flyfishing for LGMouth can be you need to go "CODE"

As in leave all your spinning and baitcasting at home. Just bring three fly rods..

7 wt with floating line and a subsurface fly.
8 wt with floating line and big hair bug.
9wt with intermediate line or sink tip floating for the bottom bumping flys.

You will force yourself into full imersion of the moment. Sure you may only get a LGMouth or two but it will be worth it.. next time you get 5 and next time 12 as you refine your fly selection and your presentation.

There are a bunch of tricks to learn in flyfishing..

Capt Mike
Old 07-15-10, 05:53 PM   #14
WTL

I just got a Hobbs Creek fly rod and reel at BPS, the 8 wt. I am so excited cause I have never had a setup quite big enough to throw clousers or some of the larger flies that I have stockpiled for years. Gonna see if I can muscle a redfish in on it, maybe tonight if I can find an open ramp.

And the oil stopped, and mobile bay is clear right now. Things might be turning around.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:31 PM   #15
JerseyFisher

I try to fly fish when ever the lake is calm and I'm willing to put down the spinning/casting gear. Haven't caught too many bass on a fly, mainly just panfish and trout. My dad and I first learned to fly fish when I was 10, and my dad bought a nice Orvis rod for us to share... he eventually got one for himself through work. Just recently the tip broke on mine and it has a 25 yr. warranty on it. Orvis sent back a brand new TLS Power Matrix, which is pretty high end, so this has encouraged to go fly fishing whenever I get the chance.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:31 PM   #16
Jigger

I totally disagree with the recommendation of a 7, 8 or 9 wt rod. I routinely bass fish with a 2 wt. although I do not recommend a 2 wt for beginners. I can cast a big, wind resistant popper on a 2 wt. rod. Most of the bass you catch on a fly rod are in the 1/2 to 3 lb. class. Bringing in a 2 lb bass on a 9 wt rod is akin to fishing with a broom stick. A 9 wt rod is a striper rod fished from a boat in open water. You may lose a few really big bass in cover on a light rod but the joy of catching the smaller ones on light tackle is worth the trade off and catching, say, a 6 lb bass on a fly rod is really rare. You can't get down in the really thick cover where the big ones live with fly tackle like you can with a baitcaster.

For a beginner I would recommend not heavier than a 5 wt., preferrably a 4 wt or a 3 wt. Bass fishing, for the most part is up close and personal. You don't need a big rod to cast short distances. If you learn to open your loop and double haul, you can cast big flies on a small rod for adequate distances for bass and the light rods are so much more fun to fish.

Start with sunfish on a 2 or 3 wt. Sunfish are much more receptive than bass and the big ones are a hoot on a light rod. Good luck.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 07:39 AM   #17
Mac2

Basshunter,

I tend to rush my posts and need to slow down. TnTom's recommendation for a Muddler is right on. One of the most successful flies ever tied. Comes in a variety of sizes and variations of color, a great fly. Also happened to be my first fly when I started years ago.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 11:47 AM   #18
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I totally disagree with the recommendation of a 7, 8 or 9 wt rod. I routinely bass fish with a 2 wt. although I do not recommend a 2 wt for beginners. I can cast a big, wind resistant popper on a 2 wt. rod. Most of the bass you catch on a fly rod are in the 1/2 to 3 lb. class. Bringing in a 2 lb bass on a 9 wt rod is akin to fishing with a broom stick. A 9 wt rod is a striper rod fished from a boat in open water. You may lose a few really big bass in cover on a light rod but the joy of catching the smaller ones on light tackle is worth the trade off and catching, say, a 6 lb bass on a fly rod is really rare. You can't get down in the really thick cover where the big ones live with fly tackle like you can with a baitcaster.

For a beginner I would recommend not heavier than a 5 wt., preferrably a 4 wt or a 3 wt. Bass fishing, for the most part is up close and personal. You don't need a big rod to cast short distances. If you learn to open your loop and double haul, you can cast big flies on a small rod for adequate distances for bass and the light rods are so much more fun to fish.

Start with sunfish on a 2 or 3 wt. Sunfish are much more receptive than bass and the big ones are a hoot on a light rod. Good luck.
I am glad you disagree.. the pads and grass will eat your flies every cast.

Capt Mike
Old 07-20-10, 11:58 AM   #19
AUFred

I cannot imagine putting a 2 weight in a beginner's hands. 5/6 seem like a much better option for a beginner.
Old 07-20-10, 01:42 PM   #20
walkeraviator

From some slatwater fly sights it seems a 7 eight rod is good for bass and speck fishing and the 8 weight is good for Reds... but some guys go 9 weight when red fishing... guess cus they are in areas with big bull reds...
Old 07-20-10, 05:53 PM   #21
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I cannot imagine putting a 2 weight in a beginner's hands. 5/6 seem like a much better option for a beginner.
Absolutely, not to mention that a 2 weight is useless if there's any wind at all. 5 or 6 is a good all around rod. To really get anything out of a 2 or 3 you have to have a pretty refined stroke.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 06:36 PM   #22
WTL

The only way I'd use a 4 wt I guess is if I were using really small dry flies for stream bass - and that does work. I had bass on a pattern once where I was throwing a dry fly that was no bigger than a mosquito. But the versatility isnt there. I already had a 5/6 and felt the need to move up to an 8 for a very good reason, so many patterns were out of my capability to throw. Even with the 8, I find the weighted Clouser is not floating on my casts like I would prefer.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:09 PM   #23
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The only way I'd use a 4 wt I guess is if I were using really small dry flies for stream bass - and that does work. I had bass on a pattern once where I was throwing a dry fly that was no bigger than a mosquito. But the versatility isnt there. I already had a 5/6 and felt the need to move up to an 8 for a very good reason, so many patterns were out of my capability to throw. Even with the 8, I find the weighted Clouser is not floating on my casts like I would prefer.
I really like my 4 weight for bream. For bass I prefer my 6 weight. I am considering getting a 7 weight for bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.