Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-07, 02:32 AM   #1
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank
Default Problem with cover

I fish in Liberty Res. in Maryland, and im having a tough time finding cover to throw my lure into. The lake is deep like.. 140ft or so so ive been trying to stay near the bank and find trees or something but no luck. The lake is pretty big about 3100 acres and i have to paddle my @$$ out and back.. so I haven't covered a lot of it. Is there a trick to fishing in suspended water?

Thanks,
Chris
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 06:36 AM   #2
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

Look for any sudden changes in the shoreline like points, sharp bends, drop-offs, groups of overhanging trees, rocks ect. Fish these areas with a senko style bait or a worm, you might also try a jig with a crawfish trailer. Throw it right up next to shore (or if possible, on shore) and jig it back with small ticks, shakes, and pulls.

If this doesn't work, your gonna have to get a depth finder or go swimming to find structure.

Though, there is one more thing you could do. Go out on a calm morning right at sunrise when the water is absolutly placid. Get out on the boat and sit still. Watch the water for (big) fish jumping. This will always give away where they're hiding. If no fish are jumping, watch where the herren (if you have them there) and other birds are feeding.

This has what's worked for me,
-Eric
Old 09-03-07, 12:33 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well the key to catching hawgs will be fishing that deep water. they are most likely still in the summer pattern, so in the afternoons you'll need to locate deep structure and fish deep diving cranks, along with jigs. In the morning sna d evens you can fish the shallower waters, targeting what Esipes has mentioned. Good Luck
Old 09-03-07, 12:48 PM   #4
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default liberty res

Did you consider joining a local bass club that fishes Liberty?
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 08:26 PM   #5
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Great tips thanks. I'll give it a shot. Ive been using tikis a lot lately but with no luck. And I need to search about local clubs.

My biggest problem is that i spend more darn time rowing or paddling then i do fishing. But i think im just going to go breakdown and buy a trolling motor.
Old 09-03-07, 08:57 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Yeah rig a trolling motor on your boat and you will be set.
Old 09-06-07, 09:04 PM   #7
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey skank if liberty is anything like loch raven there's got to be plenty of grass in that clear water, throw some natural colored 3"-5" grubs on 1/4-3/8 oz skirted jigs near the deeper edges of the shoreline, I think you'll do quite well. But always remember to
Old 09-07-07, 07:41 AM   #8
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnfool4evr View Post
Hey skank if liberty is anything like loch raven there's got to be plenty of grass in that clear water, throw some natural colored 3"-5" grubs on 1/4-3/8 oz skirted jigs near the deeper edges of the shoreline, I think you'll do quite well. But always remember to

Thanks, the only fish i've caught have been off of jigs... i'm still really really new to fishing. I just found a 7' MH spinning combo that a buddy of mine gave me about a year ago in my shed, so i rigged it up dropshot (i think) going to give that a try on this rocky part i found the other day. If that doesnt work im going back to jigs. What I would like is to
Old 09-07-07, 02:13 PM   #9
Raul

If there´s no cover fish the structure, structural features attract fish to them just as cover does, changes in the contour of the shoreline, changes in the composition of the terrain, changes in the slope attract fish to them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.