Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-05, 08:04 PM   #1
pond_hopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to pond_hopper
Default new reel...need help

well i went and ordered a brand new phlueger trion and just got it in the mail two days ago. I have spooled it twice with two different lines but can't seem to get anywhere with casting it. It keeps backlashing just about every time. I have adjusted both the spool brake and the centrifugal brake in every possible combo and made about 100 casts but still just don't get it. this is my first casting reel so is it just me or is it really that difficult to learn how to use these reels? about the only cast that i can make half way decent is a sidearm cast any overhead cast instantly backlashes. if i don't get it figured out soon i might have a reel for sale and go back to my zebco 33. :-[ >
pond_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 08:23 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: new reel...need help

Perk, since you live in Foley you are gonna need to stick with that baitcaster, not only for the bass but for those speckled trout. Trust me, you just have to be patient.

The main thing is keep your thumb on the spool, and don't try to start casting the thing 75 yards right off the bat. You are new at this, so just start practicing, casting as far as you can without getting a backlash. If you have to limit your casts to 10 feet in the interim, then do that. After you can cast it 10 feet, start trying to cast a little farther. Its like learning to shoot a basketball. The first day you pick up a ball, you don't start taking shots from 5 feet behind the 3 point line - concentrate on layups now, then move to free throws, fadeaways and then the 3 pointers.....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 08:27 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Yes they are that much of a pain to learn, it's not just you. I would also take a piece of electrical tape, cast out, pull off some excess, and then put the electrical tape on the remaining line on the spool. This will help keep the backlashes down to a manageable level. Practice, is the only answer I have, and hey I'm lousy with one myself. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks sometimes.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 10:24 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

It just takes some practice. Meantime, here is a great link that may help you out:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

That electrical tape trick Lizards mentioned is a great way to keep from having to do surgery all the way to the spool when you get a backlash. Also, rest assured you are not alone. Just read my signature ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 10:54 PM   #5
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

Don't give up so quickly you will eventually get the hang of it. Try casting baits with more weight to them like a 1/2 oz. jig or spinnerbait. After you master heavy lure casting slowly work your way down to casting lighter soft plastics. You also need to remember your thumb controlling the spool is your best way to prevent backlashes. If you go back to the zebco 33 you will be limiting your fishing greatly, baitcasters are less maintenance and less trouble to fish once you get the hang of them. Oh yea one other thing there is no need to cast overhead with a baitcaster you can get the same distance side arming, and side arming is more accurate.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 11:42 PM   #6
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I was outside practicing with my curado a couple of days ago. I'm learning also. When I first got it, all I thought I had to do was fling it out there and it would go 50 yards. Well I had a bunch of birds nests also. But I found out that if you twist your wrist sideways it helps with the cast. Some of those casts I had felt like hitting a homerun. Also have someone stand by you to watch your cast. I had my neighbor there and he watched me and I asked how I cast. When you bring your arm back from a bend at the elbow twist your hand sideways and then just pivot your hand forward. By summer I think I will have those long casts down pat. And from an earlier post most everyone says you don't need to cast a mile.
Hope this helped a little

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 10:32 AM   #7
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Picking out backlashes is a very important skill in bass fishing and should be practiced often until you get it down pat.

But seriously, once you are pretty good at casting with your baitcaster, all that time you spent picking out bird's nests will help you to get back to fishing and less time untangling. Practice, practice, practice! ;D
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 01:32 PM   #8
pond_hopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to pond_hopper

Thanks for all of the encouragement and it's nice to know that it's not just me. I do wonder though is there any particular line that is better for the baitcasting reels that are more forgiving because when i did change the line out with a different one it seemed to work much better ;D Both lines were mono, but different brands and the second one worked much better.

So in the meantime i will keep practicing ;D
pond_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 08:44 PM   #9
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I use 14 pound Spider Wire E-Z cast in low-vis green on all my Baitcasters. I find the 14 pound SW is the best all around line for the way I fish.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 05:24 PM   #10
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

11lb fire wire would do the trick relly works its awsome never missed a fish yet becaus i only hade it 3 weeks and been fishing times
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.