Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-05, 02:27 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default DOH!!!!

Well Rebasser had a post awhile ago about the biggest memory laspe type stuff on your boats. Well this is about the best one for Brain Fa-ts. I was excited about getting out today fishing, since I haven't been in about three months. So I got the boat ready last, night, topped off the batteries, checked everything 5 times etc. Got up and got ready, hooked the boat up, checked the lights, got my coffee and hit the road the coal pit at about 745am. Got down to the lake, entrance about 930am, thinking about strategies the whole drive down, and not planning on catching much, with low 40 temps, and water temps in the upper 30 lower 40's expected. Anyway I pull up the the gate, and get ready to get out to unlock it and pull in, when I realize I don't have the key to the lock : :-[ I had been taking our pickup truck the last few times to fish, and had switched the key to another key ring. Of course no one but myself would think of fishing on this day so no one was there to open the gate for me DOH So frustrated, I decided to grab a couple of poles, and a tackle box and see about some dock fishing. You need to understand that this lake is really not accessible from the shore. Steep banks, tremendous plant growth, just prohibits from reaching 90% of the water from the shore. So I cast my weightless black Lizard out and on the 5th cast I hook into a 8" LM, and release the midget quickly. About 5 casts later I hook into a 3lber(didn't weigh it) and landed it and released it. Well now I feel a little better, but that was the last bite of the day, for another 3hours of fishing, and thinking what an idiot I was for forgetting the key. Well at least I caught a couple fo fish, and got to fish, so lifes not horrible. But I was laughing at myself pretty hard.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:35 AM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: DOH!!!!

Earlier this year I drove 45 miles to the river, only to realize when I got there that the trolling motor battery was still charging on the back porch. It happens. ;D
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 09:24 AM   #3
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Lizards, at least you did get to fish and the great thing is that you could laugh about it in the end.

Wtl, did you buy a new battery?

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 10:46 AM   #4
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Lizards,
Glad I didn't make the trip with you! I can see you laughing at yourself! Way to go though, you were given lemons so you made lemonade!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 12:51 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i drove all the way to a lake only to have my boat refuse to crank the starter would spin but would not roll over the boat. i checked the batteries first the i put the boat back on the trailer with the trolling moter up on hauling it out of the water. i found that my starter was totally loose and hanging buy a thread-so to speak- inside the cover i put the bolts in finger tight but i had to much sloop and it would not roll it over. had to drive al the way home to get a wrench to tighten the bolts then a drive all the way back to go fishing. lucky for me it was only 12 miles each way.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:23 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZ,

Extra keys are less than a dollar each, why not have one in each vehicle? ? ?

Jackl
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 03:00 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JackL link=board=MessBoards;num=1109050059;start=0#5 date=02/22/05 at 12:23:33]LIZ,

Extra keys are less than a dollar each, why not have one in each vehicle? ? ?

Jackl[/quote]

These keys are actually from the Power Company. Since they always need to have access to the site for any reason, they supplied the lock. So I need to go through the owner to get a new one, which is on my list next time I see him.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 01:07 AM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does dumb things ;D. So, in honor of all us who from time to time pull a Homer:

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 01:25 AM   #9
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

it happens to all of us , i life in fl my fishing buddy lives in alabama....i was goin to spend the weekend up there with him to fish saterday,sunday half monday, i got up there forgot my takle box lucky for me my buddy hade spares of evry thing
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 01:29 AM   #10
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

there is the turny i was in and we where just goin to put the boat in the water i grabbed the plug and put it in the plug hole he backeed up i backed of the trailer and parked i looked beside me there was water all over the place i looked in the back i put the pluge in the rong place lol
Old 02-23-05, 02:07 AM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Drove 35 minutes to a little fishin hole, opened up my pouch- NO BOAT KEYS. Was doing some work on the boat and threw them on top of the dog kennel. Same spot different time- pulled up and was waiting for the launches to clear- figured I would get my poles rigged and everything set up. My automatic locking feature on my truck decided to do it's job. Gets worse- nice afternoon monsoon came through for an hour. Was quite the sight when wife showed up 21/2 hours later w/ the keys. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 02:21 AM   #12
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

a little advice

duble check the plugs befor u put boat in water
lol
Old 02-23-05, 11:58 AM   #13
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I tried to launch once, (at the state championship tournament no less) with the straps still on the back of the boat. I thought my buddy took them off, he thought I did.

Another buddy of mine, and his buddy, ran the starting battery down on the boat trying to start it once. Went to the store, got another battery, came back, ran that one down, then discovered the kill switch was pulled.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 05:05 PM   #14
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

My dad and I got a 10 lb weight and a rope that we could use as an anchor for the canoe.

Since the anchor is on one side, only one person can really control the anchor. Kind of funny when someone is struggling hard to paddle one way, blaming the wind, when really the anchor is still down there, dragging mud. ;D
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 02:32 AM   #15
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My friends and I were unloading the boat at the ramp. I pulled the trailer out of water and parked. When I got out of truck I saw my friends doubled over laughing--I looked and saw my boat floating out in the middle of the lake. I had not tied it to the dock. Luckily, I had my cell phone and called the lake warden who came and rescued the boat. Its a funny feeling seeing your boat out in the water and you standing on shore!!!! ;
Old 02-24-05, 10:16 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassmasster_2 link=board=MessBoards;num=1109050059;start=0#9 date=02/22/05 at 23:29:22]there is the turny i was in and we where just goin to put the boat in the water i grabbed the plug and put it in the plug hole he backeed up i backed of the trailer and parked i looked beside me there was water all over the place i looked in the back i put the pluge in the rong place lol
[/quote]

Done the same thing myself. Put it in the livewell drain instead.
Old 02-24-05, 10:20 PM   #17
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

saw the same 2 guys 2 days in a row on the same lake forget to put the plug in.........how stupid is that? ???
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 01:34 AM   #18
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Tom, that is a double

Old 02-25-05, 01:47 AM   #19
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

well rebbasser atleats im not alone it was relly embarissing doing that

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.