Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-05, 05:27 PM   #1
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy
Default Getting a Lake stocked

I am moving this winter to a place that has a drainage lake how should I go about getting it stocked with bass
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:30 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Getting a Lake stocked

first of all....do you own it? if not you cannot stock it...if its privatly owned you can ask permission....and if they say you can then call the local wildlife commission and talk to them aabout stocking it....they have bass that they give you...and other species of fish that they give you...first they come the lake and see if its ok to stock....then they put the fish in...and heres the catch...you cannot fish it for atleast a year after stocking..... :-/ and trust me they watch that pond very closly. then after a year or so(depending on the regulations) they will let you fish it catch and release only. after a certain amount of years you can keep the fish you catch if you want. if its owned by the city or state...good luck getting permission....usually they will have it stocked if they wanted it stocked. but whether it be your lake or another guys lake the wildlife commission will come out and do it for you free of charge. now if you want to try just to catch some bass and put it in there then you can go ahead....but dont expect them to live :-/ and it may be illegal....best way to do it is to call up the wildlife commission and have them do it....i think they even come along and feed the fish for you for the first year.....
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:57 PM   #3
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

THis lake will be in my backyard so yes its my property and everyone else in the subdivisions ;D
Old 06-15-05, 11:04 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well....is it in YOUR back yard.......and did YOU buy the house? if its in the middle of the neighbor hood, or you rent the house....then its not your pond....just tryin to keep you from maybe gettin in trouble....but if its on your property and you bought the house go ahead and call up local wildlife commission and they will take care of you....for free 8)
Old 06-15-05, 11:08 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

you might want to look into stocking it with tiger bass.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:09 PM   #6
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah those are the genetically enginered ultimate bass species that get to be like 10 lbs in one year.
Old 06-15-05, 11:13 PM   #7
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

actually about 8 pounds in 3 years. Been known to bite bare gold hooks, attack swimming dogs, bite swimmers hard enough to make them bleed, and catch rates of 60 bass in one hour. Whoever managed to catch 60 fish in 60 minutes must have been a hell of an angler to cast, reel, fight, unhook, and release the fish at an average of one per minute.
Old 06-15-05, 11:15 PM   #8
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Got to get me some. Best I ever did in one hour is 45 bass during the pre spawn stage on a overstocked lake.
Old 06-15-05, 11:21 PM   #9
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

even just a small population of them will cause the other non-tiger bass to become more aggressive as they have to compete for food.
Old 06-15-05, 11:45 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i dont like the idea of these ''genetically engineered'' bass.....takes all the fun away from fishin....you might as well call it catchin :-/ plus....its so risky...these fish find there way into another fishin hole...and eventually thats all that there will be...and i dont want my children and grandchildren catchin these bass......i think it will ruin bass fishin if these bass populate many lakes :-/
Old 06-15-05, 11:52 PM   #11
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

Make sure to stock it with lots of baitfish also.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 01:29 AM   #12
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1118867245;start=0#9 date=06/15/05 at 22:45:15]i dont like the idea of these ''genetically engineered'' bass.....takes all the fun away from fishin....you might as well call it catchin :-/ plus....its so risky...these fish find there way into another fishin hole...and eventually thats all that there will be...and i dont want my children and grandchildren catchin these bass......i think it will ruin bass fishin if these bass populate many lakes :-/[/quote]

they have their place. it certainly isn't a strain for public waterways as those who don't practice catch and release would diminish the populations too quickly, more so for private ponds/lakes. It isn't a challenge to catch them you're right, but if you want to take a young one fishing and allow them to hook into something bigger than a bluegill and something that will fight, here ya go. There is nothing more annoying than taking a young person fishing who has no patience. You get to the fishing spot, start making some casts, 5 minutes goes by and if you don't have a fish, they're complaining its boring, there's no fish at this spot, there's no fish at this lake, they think their bait is dead, they start tapping their feet on the hull, and if you're trying to focus the fish, forget it. With a fish like this, it won't take long to make a lasting impression.
Old 06-16-05, 01:49 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i'll just tell them to get used to it cause if you put these fish in your lake....then say good bye to trying to fool a fish....you can go and throw a hook and a leay out and you have the fish........all i know is im not havin my son fish for them...he is gunna learn to fish the way i did......where you actually have to fool the fish.....and he will eventually grow into the sport like i did 8)

but i gtuess some people just want these new bass.........to each his own i guess 8)
Old 06-16-05, 02:00 PM   #14
jdkc
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jdkc

^^^ Agreed, I like the challenge. I wouldn't start my kid out on bass anyway. Good ole' bobber and worm catching some bluegill. Thats how I started anyway.
jdkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 02:02 PM   #15
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

I started on catching Walleye out in Lake Erie on a good ole' erie derrie and a worm ;D
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 09:51 PM   #16
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to GotBass

idk if they were the tiger bass, but i read in a magazine article that there are genetically engineered bass that are sterile (something about 3 chromosomes instead of 2)!! Â*is this true, and if so, how can it be worth it to have them stocked??
Old 06-17-05, 10:06 PM   #17
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Ive read about a special type of carp to control vegetation growth that has 3 chromosomes so it is sterile so it wont reproduce but i dont know about bass like that!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 09:53 PM   #18
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

If it is a neighborhhod-owned lake, then you can approach the neighborhood association and ask permission to stock it. There are a number of companies here, and probably where you are, who will supply fish to private owners. No need to wait on your state agency to stock it and have to abide by whatever timetable they set up for fishing it. There are some guidelines for stocking a new body of water, so do some research or ask for guidance from your fish supplier. You will want to let baitfish get established first before stocking bass or other predators. While you are waiting for the baitfish to establish themselves, you might want to create some cover for your fish if there isn't already some then.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.