Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-05, 10:31 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Roland Martin and Leverage spinnerbaits

I watched him today. He fished with the president of Leverage Spinnerbaits, one of his sponsors. Roland claims you absolutly will not have a fish throw the leverage spinnerbaits. Well, He did. Sure enough, a fish spit it out. He lost it right there on national t.v.

NOT, and I repeat NOT the best thing for his marketing, huh. ;D

Just goes to show you. The baits may be good, but not perfect.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 11:03 PM   #2
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Re: Roland Martin and Leverage spinnerbaits

I was watching one of his episodes and he was talking about equipment. And he said in order to catch good fish, you had to have the best equipment, and you had to have the best equipment because he had the best equipment. I looked at my wife and said "You can have a $35000 bass boat loaded with all the best stuff, and if the fish don't want the lure you put in front of them, you aint catching them, regardless of the equipment you got." It's people like that, that really make me mad.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 11:11 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i bought one of the first run leverage spinner baits. i hung 7 bass on it in one day lost 6 -they threw the hook -also l found that the hook rotates around the cable.well since i like using a blade in the grass. it would be quite useless to buy a second one.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 11:22 PM   #4
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I was almost hooked (lol) on those leverge baits. Gonna hold off till there is maybe more reports, good or bad will determine if I buy any.
Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 01:00 AM   #5
spinnerb8

Dave also used to swear by those things..Him,and Roland Martin,are the ONLY two people that had something good to say about them ??? ...Don't think I'll be using them either.
Old 01-18-05, 01:04 AM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i think its just truly dave. roland gets paid to say it
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 01:09 AM   #7
spinnerb8

Yeah,either that or he had a BUTTLOAD left over from testing
Old 01-18-05, 01:20 AM   #8
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Well....... that goes to show you not every one is perfect, we all have our bad day's. If I was paid the amount that he's getting to say this crap is good, then I think I would say it too.

WAIT........ I have morals, I don't think I could tell people somethings good when deep down inside I didn't think it was!.

I'll get off the soap box now, I hate getting angry over stuff like this, "WE" work hard for our money and the bait monkey fever we get we don't need guy's like that telling us to waste our money on crap!

Ok I'm done for sure now! feeewwww

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 05:07 AM   #9
bassmania25
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmania25

I have a few i bought last year at bass pro shops and have yet to get bit on one. dont know if they work or not. Scott R
bassmania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 07:31 AM   #10
Shadow112950
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow112950

Since Leverage is a sponsor of Roland Martin , would it have been a good idea to edit those takes where the fish threw the bait. Since they only show us what they want us to see on TV. Maybe Roland Martin is looking for a new spinner bait sponsor.
Shadow112950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 10:05 AM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

SCOTTY,
Maybe they did edit the tapes and that was the best they had. What does that tell you about those spinnerbaits?

TRAV,
I have to agree with Roland about equipment up to a point. I fished a couple times with a guy that had a couple old, old Garcia "Conolon" rods (limber as a buggy whip) and a mitchell 308 spinning reel with 12 lb test stren that had been on his rods for several years. All he could land was 2 lb fish, anything larger would break him off and he would say "I know that fish was over 7 lbs, look how he broke me off." I was in the same boat and I never caught any 7 lb fish. Guess I was not as good of a fisherman as he was.
My point is that you need good equipment if you are serious about bass fishing. Not necessarily a $35,000 boat and $500 rod and reel rigs, but good equipment within reason, and kept in good condition.
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:31 AM   #12
bassman602
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassman602

No matter how good any bait may be, the bass will win sometimes. It is called Fishin', not catchin'.
bassman602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 01:55 PM   #13
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

It also goes to show you that big name guys ***** themselves out for cash. You can't believe everything they say and IMHO, could you believe anything that a guy who endorsed the helicopter lure says? lol
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 02:48 PM   #14
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I figure that anyone who believes everything they hear in a TV comercial, which is all most fishing shows are, deserves to get stuck from time to time just for being a sucker.

Watch the shows for entertainment, and you might pick up a gem of knowledge from time to time.

But boys and girls. There ain't NO magic bait. NONE. I don't care who endorses it.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 05:08 PM   #15
kentuckybasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kentuckybasser

Quote:
TV comercial, which is all most fishing shows are,
you got that right! i just can't stomach bill dance, fishing university and roland martin anymore, 100% infomercials. the whole show dedicated to one product or company. this is why duck hunting shows are the best outdoor shows, there not raming products down your throat.
kentuckybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 09:26 PM   #16
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

I havent tried the spinner baits because i always throw a booyah but i bought a few buzzbaits, and they are defiantely worth the money, can be worked very slow and just a good buzzbait....ive had a lot of luck with the gold
Old 01-18-05, 09:34 PM   #17
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I have 2 gold buzzbaits from them. Have caught fish on them and kept them on. Havent tried the spinners. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 10:24 PM   #18
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Leverage baits are more expensive than they're worth, $7 a piece. I like strike king spinnerbaits a lot and they're about $3. I don't think you ever need the "best" equipment to catch bass. People catch bass all the time on zebco rods and reels and little in-line spinners.
Roland Martin's show is probably my least favorite fishing show, but I'll watch almost any show about bass fishing. I like Hank Parker and Al Lindner cause they provide a bunch of good info that actually helps the viewer.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 10:49 PM   #19
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=MessBoards;num=1106011883;start=0#17 date=01/18/05 at 20:24:44] Â*I don't think you ever need the "best" equipment to catch bass. Â*People catch bass all the time on zebco rods and reels and little in-line spinners.
[/quote]

Only if the money is one the line. Then you better have the best you can afford.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:00 PM   #20
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have about 50 fishing video's with about 20 differant pro's in them. only a hand full are actually worth a dam. all of the in fisherman video's are good. and most of the vandam video's are good. as for alot of the shows on tv they are really nothing more than a 30 minute infomerciel. have to say hank parker and infisherman being a favorites.cause they anit trying to sell you anything.

as for leverage baits i have not used the buzz bait -if the spinner bait sucked. why buy more from this company.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 09:36 PM   #21
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I also can't figure why they wouldn't edit that out. Although I don't have any Leverage products, there's no reason they shouldn't be about as productive as other brands, notwithstanding those of you who haven't had success with them.

I mean, they've got a lead head, a wire frame, a hook, a skirt and blades. Why wouldn't they work?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.