Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-23-04, 09:06 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Tubes?

I know I keep bringing this subject up, and it's well played out. But how do hook one of these suckers on a hook. Like a regular plastic, or is there some special trick. I always feel like I am putting them on wrong. Thanx guys.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 09:40 PM   #2
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: Tubes?

Of course, you can fish them on jigheads, either internal or external heads, but I gather your question related to weedless rigging.

I use thin-walled tubes and rig them Texposed with an extra-wide-gap hook and an internal weight. I also skin hook the point if it's catching on vegetation.

As to hooks, I use a 3/0 with 3.5" tubes and a 4/0 with 4" tubes. Hope this helps.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 10:11 PM   #3
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Thin wall, and thick wall. There is actually a differenec in the walls. I have a hard time rigging them, I feel as if the point is a little exposed it will help with the hook set, but as soon as I expose it, it sinks back into the middle. Now as for the internal weights. Does the size of the tube affect the size of the weight. And does the size of the weight affect the size of the hook. I have tried some internal weights, but I can't seem to put the weight in and set the hook to get it in the water.
Old 11-24-04, 01:38 AM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Trav, here is a tube trick I learned from a guide up in North Texas. Rather than buying special tube weights, just get some bell sinkers that will fit inside the tube. Put it in with the wire loop pointed towards the nose of the bait. Then, rig it like a T-rig, but make sure the hook goes through the wire loop and rig it as you would a T-rig. The sinker will hold the hook in place as well as eliminate the need for an extrnal weight.

Most tubes do not have a very thick wall, so an extra wide gap (EWG) hook is needed. You can't bury the hook point in it, but what you can do is skin hook it-just push the point of the hook into the skin of the tube so the point and the barb are covered with the rest of the hook out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 09:49 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Big_Bad_Trav link=board=MessBoards;num=1101254776;start=0#2 date=11/23/04 at 20:11:48] Â*And does the size of the weight affect the size of the hook. Â*[/quote]
The hook size is generally determined by the size of the plastic, not the weight. My general guideline for all plastics is that the hook gap be at least double the width of the plastic. Or to put it another way, after you rig up, the remaining gap should be at least as wide as the plastic so there is room for the hook to get through the plastic and into the fish's jaw.
Quote:
I have tried some internal weights, but I can't seem to put the weight in and set the hook to get it in the water.
Sorry, I'm not understanding this statement.
Old 11-24-04, 09:51 PM   #6
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't worry I'm not understanding yours either. What I'm saying is that I can't get the internal weight to sit right, so I can ge the hook through the plastic, and the weight, and get it rigged weedless to get it in the water. Is that better?
Old 11-24-04, 10:05 PM   #7
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Big_Bad_Trav link=board=MessBoards;num=1101254776;start=0#5 date=11/24/04 at 19:51:38]Don't worry I'm not understanding yours either. Â*What I'm saying is that I can't get the internal weight to sit right, so I can ge the hook through the plastic, and the weight, and get it rigged weedless to get it in the water. Â*Is that better?[/quote]
First of all, I personally do not have an easy time rigging with internal weights, but usually get it done after some fumbling around. As to your problem described above, you must use an offset hook and the loop of the weight must get onto the offset part, that is, the 90° bend between the hook's eye and shank. Once there, it hangs freely and you shouldn't have any trouble completing the rigging.

If you want to use an internal weight without a loop, you can use an appropriately-sized split shot or rubber core sinker with the rubber removed. Both of these can be pried open so they can sort of wedge against the inner walls of the tube, but they will still slip down during fishing, but I don't know if that makes much difference. At least I haven't seen any.

I hope we're now understanding each other a little better.
Old 11-24-04, 10:09 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I got some of them magnum weights, and you can get some of their finnesse pods and use them as internal weights/rattles for tubes. Those things are awesome, extremely versatile.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 10:45 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Guys, here is what I mean-

Hook and sinker without tube:

And same setup rigged:

By passing the hook through the loop the hook is held in place.
Old 11-24-04, 11:41 PM   #10
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

That is absolutely ingenious. I know this may seem like a stupid question, but just bare with me...you would put the weight in the worm, then the hook through the eye, and then tie the whole assembly to your line. Hell, that sounds right...right? And it sounds a lot cheaper then buying those expensive tube baits, cause you can get those sinker weights in huge bulk quantities. You should send that in to BASSMASTERS as one of their money saving tips articles. Thanks man.
Old 11-24-04, 11:47 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
You should send that in to BASSMASTERS as one of their money saving tips articles
Somebody already beat me to it-it was printed a couple of months back. Besides, I didn't come up with it so I'm not going to take credit for it. I thought it was ingenious when I learned it,too ;D

I don't put it together before I tie it on-I tie the hook on the line and then thread it through the loop. Just like a T-rig only the weight is on the inside.
Old 11-25-04, 12:24 AM   #12
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

[move][glow=red,2,300]Absolutely Ingenious!![/glow][/move]

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.