Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-07, 01:41 AM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally Figured out a local lake

Ever been to a lake that you know holds fish but no matter how many times you're there, no matter how many favorable conditions you meet, you can never find the bite? There's one I've had lots of trouble with, ultra clear waters, bowl shaped and generally rarely catch more than one or two over 12 inches. Today I took my BPS Christmas Gift card presents and managed to hook up 6, landed 4. 3 were hooked using a Lucky Craft Skeet Reese Medium Runner in Chart Shad and 3 were hooked using a Gambler Loco Lizard in bull frog. I'm not sure if its the lake, the ultra clear water or just me, but I've always had trouble catching fish here. Today I just had the right combination. I've always seen plenty of weeds and plenty of baitfish so I always wondered what was up with the bass, I guess they are there after all, and all quality fish except 2 outta the 6.

Last edited by Rodman_Rob; 01-13-07 at 02:14 AM. Reason: and all quality fish except 2 outta the 6.
Rodman_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:14 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

congrats, i know how that feels. there is a local city lake near me that i fish a lot. it is small, only 250 acres and a ton of pressure, i like to fish this lake because they have a nice ramp for loading and unloading my bass boat, it's close, and it is small enough that all of the holes i fish are really close to each other. i used to catch a ton of small fish by beating the bank like everyone else. finally i decided to trust my electronics and try to find something the average guy misses. when i started finding channels, humps, ditches, ect i also found good fish. i knew all along that there were big ones in there. the state shocked the lake a year or so back and said they found several bass worthy of the state record. 14 lb. class,while i am yet to catch anything near that,in the last year i have caught 5 fish over 6#'s and an 8#er, along with a whole bunch of 3-4# fish. all bodies of water are the same in one respect. no matter if it's a small pond or a huge lake, if you spend enough time on the water and pay attention to details, things will eventually click. and when they do you will wonder why it took so long.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:25 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can remember when a local lake presented me with similar problems. This lake has a famous population of big bass, but for years I was skunked everytime I fished it. I even attributed it to something as stupid as spitting in the lake as a kid when I was disgusted at being skunked by the lake, as if the lake had a memory.

Last time I visited the lake I caught several nice fish, including 2 over 5 pounds. That lakes name is Guntersville. It is one of the more highly considered lakes in the US. It is also an incredibly difficult lake to learn, but I am starting to trend upwards in the learning curve and to do so is good. Sometimes you have to put in your time.
Old 01-13-07, 03:30 PM   #4
pig n jig

Well what took you so long ?Lmao....... Congratulations,your learning which is why we are here for, remember the gripper teeth theory, try using lighter lines and downsize your lure offerings to see if it helps you catch a few more fish.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:51 PM   #5
crankybait

Oh god do I know that feeling... I fished the pond I normally fish like a madman, then just figured it out like a few months ago.
Old 01-15-07, 04:22 PM   #6
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Well what took you so long ?Lmao....... Congratulations,your learning which is why we are here for, remember the gripper teeth theory, try using lighter lines and downsize your lure offerings to see if it helps you catch a few more fish.P N J
they all got gripper teeth down here, not many crawfish in this area.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.