Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-07, 05:36 PM   #1
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gander Mountain

Just a note, last week my local Gander had all SPRO cranks and topwaters for a $1.99 (still have them on sale) and now they have Stike King spinner baits (Elite and Titanium Elite)and Stike King lipless cranks for $1.99 each. What surprised me was the Strike King bleeding tubes for the same $1.99 so I stocked up. Just what I needed, more tackle.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 07:00 PM   #2
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I HIGHLY dislike that place. Very disorganized and don't have squat of a selection. -sorry bout that-

On another note though wish I could find clearance sales like that down here but since we fish year 'round, we don't get any!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 07:05 PM   #3
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
I HIGHLY dislike that place. Very disorganized and don't have squat of a selection. -sorry bout that-
My local store is very neat, organized and the selection is pretty darn good. I guess it depends on the store. It certainly is not a Bass Pro or Cabela's but I can usually find what I am looking for. I have found they tend to be expensive on some of their firearms but I usually buy them from a local gun shop anyways.
Old 02-10-07, 07:23 PM   #4
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
My local store is very neat, organized and the selection is pretty darn good. I guess it depends on the store. It certainly is not a Bass Pro or Cabela's but I can usually find what I am looking for. I have found they tend to be expensive on some of their firearms but I usually buy them from a local gun shop anyways.
Our Gander Mountain is better than Bass pro shop.Our Bass pro shop sort of sucks, they got everything but what you need.I think its a outpost to get rid of the shyt they can't sell anywhere else in the U.S. Roflmao........ P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 12:17 AM   #5
weaverml34

My biggest complaint about our Gander Mountain is their rod selection. They carry very few Falcon or Fenwick rods. When I was buying my new flippin stick I was in there looking. One of the guys working asked if he could help me. I told him I wished they carried a wider selection of Falcon and Fenwick rods. He told me that they always have quite a few rods from each company and that they had a truck coming in that would have some flippin sticks on it. I'm in that store about twice a month and they have never had more than 4 or 5 rods from either company and not once have I seen a flippin stick for either company. They do carry a boat load of St. Croix rods but I don't have $200-$250 to drop on a rod.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:01 AM   #6
bassinbob

I became friends with the manager of my local Gander Mt. She will get me anything from any Gander MT around the country. I just wish I knew of the stores that have items marked down. I asked why they got rid of the GLomis rods here. She said they were very slow movers. All they have now besides their own brand and a few others, like Ugly Stix, Rapala, etc. Their main rod other than their brand is St Croix. I asked about a Kistler and she said she could get it from another Gander. She trys to keep her store well supplied with a lot of new products as she also fishes. Mainly trout. But she understands us bass fishermen. If only I could get her discount. It pays to talk with these people. Although some of them don't know anything or are just plain rude. She asked me if I would like to work for her but I worked my regular job every other weekend and she needed me every weekend. To work that is. lol

Bob
Old 02-11-07, 08:52 AM   #7
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like our Gander Mt for the most part. The biggest problem is that they don't restock very often. They are still out of some items that they have not had since Christmas. I asked if they were getting more stuff and the reply is "they don't tell us what they are sending, it maybe on the next truck." That gets a little old real quick.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:04 PM   #8
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
I buy most of my tackle from my local tackle shop, the rest comes from gander.
Old 02-13-07, 11:03 AM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Gander Mountain is nice but they have never stepped up and donated anything to conservation groups.. All the rest do.. But not Gander Mountain..

In fact they go out of there way not to donate to worthy causes..

WHY??

Capt Mike
Old 02-14-07, 01:05 AM   #10
bassinbob

Could it be greed?

Bob
Old 02-15-07, 04:33 PM   #11
adamgambill

They do have good clinics that are free of charge. Fly-fishing and bay fishing was last month down here. They also help with kidfish and the spec-tacular tournies down here.
Old 02-16-07, 01:28 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

But have they ever donated to worthy causes???

I tried to google up what they have done for us fisherman other than taking our money.. Nada Zip..

Loyality to a store sould be earned..

Capt Mike
Old 02-16-07, 01:31 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Default Yea look who they support.

Gander Mountain's Conservation PartnersGander Mountain has joined forces with a host of important outdoor groups, federations, and organizations who share our interest in preserving and managing the natural resources of North America. Together, we strive toward the common goal of bettering the outdoor experience for generations to come. American Sportfishing Association
The American Sportfishing Association is the leading recreational fishing trade association, uniting 550 members who safeguard and promote the enduring social, economic, and conservation values of sportfishing. Canadian Patricia Region
Canada's Heartland! Although our area of Ontario is very large in size (about the size of the state of Minnesota), the population is quite low- only 50,000 in all that area. Also 50% of our land is covered in fresh water lakes, making large centres difficult to build. That means no major centres spoil the boreal wilderness of our area. Smaller towns provide you with every need, from accommodations to dining, recreation, shopping & site seeing. FHFH (Farmers & Hunters Feeding the Hungry)
Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) is an outreach ministry of the people of God called upon to help feed venison and other big game to the hungry among us. Field & Stream and Outdoor Life
The Soul of the American Outdoors. Field & Stream has earned its legendary status as an American icon with more than a century of service. Always in the forefront of preservation efforts that protect our lands, rivers and natural resources. Sharing the magic of the sportsman's adventures with a literary heritage that goes back to Western raconteur Zane Grey. Charting the width and breadth of the outdoor experience that begins at your backdoor and ranges across counties, countries and continents. Steeped in a proud tradition, in touch with today's issues and concerns, Field & Stream is The Soul of the American Outdoors. International Hunter Education Association
To continue the heritage of hunting worldwide by developing safe, responsible, and knowledgeable hunters. Michigan United Conservation Clubs
Uniting Citizens to Conserve Michigan's Natural Resources and Protect OUR Outdoor Heritage. Muskies Inc.
The Purposes of Muskies, Inc., established 35 years ago, have not changed. However, because of the tremendous growth and interest in the sport of muskie fishing our focus has changed. We are reaching out to all muskie fisherpersons, Muskie, Inc. members and non-members alike to unite and protect our existing fisheries as well as develop new fisheries. We need to join together to defend what we have and develop what we need. Otherwise, we will see our "love", taken away from us little by little. NBEF (National Bow Hunters Education Federation)
Since 1979, the NBEF has been an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of our bowhunting heritage through education. Bowhunter Education prepares bowhunters to hunt ethically, competently, and safely. NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation)
The NWTF is a half million member grassroots, nonprofit organization with members in 50 states, Canada and 11 other foreign countries. It supports scientific wildlife management on public, private and corporate lands as well as wild turkey hunting as a traditional North American sport. Pheasants Forever
Over 100,000 grassroots members and volunteers, 600 chapters, more than 4,000 educators, and a vast network of individual and corporate contributors coming together to protect, restore, and enhance wildlife habitat by establishing and maintaining local and regional projects. SCI First for Hunters
To protect and preserve our hunting heritage through wildlife conservation, education, legislative and humanitarian efforts. Whitetails Unlimited
Founded in 1982, Whitetails Unlimited is a national non-profit conservation organization that has remained true to its mission and has made great strides in the field of conservation. We have gained the reputation of being the nation's premier organization dedicating our resources to the betterment of the white-tailed deer and its environment.

Our purpose is to raise funds in support of . . . (1) educational programs; (2) habitat conservation, and (3) preservation of the hunting tradition for the direct benefit of the white-tailed deer and other wildlife.

Wildlife Science Center
The Center's mission is to serve as an educational resource for all ages by providing exposure to wild animals and the body of knowledge generated for their conservation. Wisconsin 4-H Foundation, Inc.
The mission of the Wisconsin 4-H Foundation is to generate and administer funds and in-kind resources for use in 4-H Youth Development programs to benefit Wisconsin's youth and to . promote these programs to the general public and to donors. Women in the Outdoors (NWTF)
Learning new skills, meeting people with similar interests and kicking back in the great outdoors is what the NWTF's Women in the Outdoors program is all about.

I bet the 550 members of the American Sportfishing Assoc is proud of there sponsorship..

Capt Mike
Old 02-16-07, 07:53 PM   #14
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post

On another note though wish I could find clearance sales like that down here but since we fish year 'round, we don't get any!
Dude, try going to BPS! Their commercials say that they know how to give advice......bologna! I shop there alot and every salesperson there is extremely incompetent. Gander Mountain is not disorganized at all compared to BPS. Their salespeople actually know what they are talking about. I don't know if you've been to the newer Gander Mountains, but they have low prices, knowledgable staff, and a huge selection ( some of which is not available at BPS).

I love both stores though, I love mom and pop tackle stores, I love people that offer merchandise to people such as myself, obsessed with fishing.
Old 02-17-07, 02:58 AM   #15
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
Dude, try going to BPS! Their commercials say that they know how to give advice......bologna! I shop there alot and every salesperson there is extremely incompetent. Gander Mountain is not disorganized at all compared to BPS. Their salespeople actually know what they are talking about. I don't know if you've been to the newer Gander Mountains, but they have low prices, knowledgable staff, and a huge selection ( some of which is not available at BPS).

I love both stores though, I love mom and pop tackle stores, I love people that offer merchandise to people such as myself, obsessed with fishing.
DEFINATELY depends on where you go. Went up to a GM probably a year ago visiting the family up in Michigan. Nobody there knew what the heck they were talking about at all. Now you go to the BPS around here (Cincinnati), and they're knowledgable. Gotta remember, the people that are running cash registers at these places usually aren't the people to ask. Nothing against cashiers, but it's normally true. Our BPS has gotten me set up on quite a few things that I've needed.

And sadly enough, there is a guy wat Walmart that really knows his stuff, and usually that place is where the root of all evil comes.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 07:59 AM   #16
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
DEFINATELY depends on where you go. Went up to a GM probably a year ago visiting the family up in Michigan. Nobody there knew what the heck they were talking about at all. Now you go to the BPS around here (Cincinnati), and they're knowledgable. Gotta remember, the people that are running cash registers at these places usually aren't the people to ask. Nothing against cashiers, but it's normally true. Our BPS has gotten me set up on quite a few things that I've needed.

And sadly enough, there is a guy wat Walmart that really knows his stuff, and usually that place is where the root of all evil comes.
That's very interesting. The Gander Mountain in Kenosha, WI actually seem to hire outdoor enthusiasts. The BPS in Gurnee, IL, at Gurnee Mills seems to be employed by your basic retail personnel (who may have been working at the GAP prior to this), who get confused when you ask what the best rod they have available for flipping heavy jigs through mats.

In my opinion they should screen through truly avid anglers before hiring, at both stores. I've never been to Cabela's.

Strangely, I have received more help at Wal-Mart than expected.
Old 02-23-07, 08:00 PM   #17
adamgambill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post

Our walmart has a real old timer who gives good advice. Our gander has guys who fish the FLW redfish tour in the fishing dept. I have only seen them work on weekends, so it may be voulentarily but 'dem fellers know how to catch.
Old 02-23-07, 09:30 PM   #18
HOG Ranger

Todays deal, Gary Yamamoto jigs for a $1.99 and the same price for Storm jerkbaits and Strike King bleeding tubes.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.