Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-07, 08:40 AM   #1
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz
Default Drift Sock, Big Waves, Small Boat

I searched the posts and found a lot of good information on drift socks. I have a 16' Bass Tracker and found that drift socks on smaller boats can be a real advantage on windy days, especially days that the trolling motor is not strong enough to drive into the wind. The lakes I fish sometimes have waves that are taller than the top of my tin can and sometimes taller than my motor is high. My main concern is that if I get a big drift sock and attach it to the rear or side of the boat that the bigger waves would come over the side or back and swamp the boat, perhaps capsizing it in the process, since in my head the drift sock would act like an anchor, and they it is recommended to never attach an anchor to the back or side of the boat in heavy current conditions. Should I be worried about my safety using a drift sock in 3'+ wave situations in my small watercraft?
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 09:23 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Any time you have water breaking over the gunwall, you need to be concerned. It would be a good idea of course to find shelter in those circumstances and always, put on your life vest/jacket. Using the windsock in that kind of weather would not be a good idea in my opinon, it's only going to limit your mobility to get away or make quick adjustments for the wind. If the sock catch's on something big, and the wind is pushing you, it's liable to tip the boat some too??

These are just my thoughts, but never having used one, I can't say for sure.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 10:59 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

K-Driz, the drift sock slows the boat down rather than anchors it so waves won't wash over the boat like they might if you were anchored-it just slows down your rate of drift. Mine has come in handy on more than a few occasions.
Old 04-20-07, 11:07 AM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I also use a drift sock. The main reason I use a drift sock is because the lake that I often fish is private and does not allow any motors (including electric). So, when there is a wind, and I am trying to locate, I will attach the drift sock to slow down the boat. That way I can fish without having to constantly row, anchor, pull up, and re-anchor.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the drift sock getting stuck and the boat becoming water bound. But then again, I am fishing a small lake without waves and such.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 03:48 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a drift sock at times to straighten the boat in the current. Cross winds will turn the boat sideways and eight lines can get really tangled quick. So I put out a main anchor on the front cleat with two rodes of chain to keep it cleated. Next I drop a very large anchor off the leeward side and deploy a sock from the back opposite corner if needed.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.