Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-07, 05:50 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default DropShot

I was catching fish on a dropshot rig, but I was having lots of trouble feeling the bite. I was sight fishing most of the time. Is this because the line wasn't completely vertical? I also was using an ugly stik. I had #10 FloroClear.

Could someone help me?

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 06:32 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Joolz, sometimes the bite is just light. On numerous occasions I've not felt the bite, the fish is just there. Your Ugly Stick may have had something to do with it-they aren't the most sensitive rods.
Old 04-25-07, 07:15 PM   #3
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I hold my line when fishing a droppie mostly because fish never smack these like other baits. Always watch the lin, too. The slightest move could be a biggun. I would also suggest a complete graphite rod vs. a hybrid like an ugly stick.
good luck, it is a great technique!
~Hack
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 09:20 PM   #4
jooleyen

Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking, but I guess I was just starting out when I bought it. I do watch and hold my line with my index finger. Maybe the bite was light.
Old 04-25-07, 11:06 PM   #5
Jolly

I think your weight is too light and your leader is too short (this is of course my humble opinion). When drop shotting I usually have between 3/8 and 1/2 oz weight (sometimes bigger, depends on depth) with an 12-18" leader. I let the bait fall to the weight then pull it back up to where I feel the weight tightening my slack. During the baits ascent I usually jig it once or twice till I feel the weight, then let it sink again. While falling, I never let the line go completely slack since the fall is when you are going to get most bites. I use the knowledge that my leader is only 12-18" long guide how far I drop my rod tip never leaving more then a couple of inches of slack in it.This allows me to feel the bottom the whole time and hopefully the strike. Also, I usually don't get a bite where the fish just nails it. It is usually them just swimming over a little ways with it in their mouths. The best indicator of a bite using this technique is when you loose that contact with the bottom. Lastly, I fish drop shots on a pretty stiff rod and heavy line most of the time (its my goto bait for big fish) so if anything I would think you would be able to feel more with an ugly stick.

If you increase your weight, lengthen your leader and follow the sinking bait with your rod, I really think you will feel a lot more of your bites and hopefully land more fish!

Good Luck,

Jolly
Old 04-26-07, 01:02 AM   #6
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i agree with reb on the ugly stick. it isnt the most sensitive rod ever made. partially because of it being a hybrid. also, it is kinda heavy and clumsy IMO resulting in less sensitivity... just like a heavy gun. being heavy lets the gun absorb most of the recoil whereas a light one transfers most of the recoil to your shoulder. thats why you want a light rod most of the time so it transfers everything that is happening on the end of your line.
Old 04-26-07, 11:25 AM   #7
jooleyen

Thanks. I was using a 3/16oz dropshot weight with a very short leader only about 11". I'll use a longer leader.
Old 04-26-07, 09:07 PM   #8
hackattack

I do not consider 11" short! Depending on water clarity I will even go to a 4-5" leader. No worries...
Old 04-27-07, 04:13 PM   #9
jooleyen

Cool. That should help. I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 04-27-07, 04:51 PM   #10
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Don't let someone else's leader preferences dictate yours! Experiment a little, use what you read about as a guide, and go from there. Same with the weight, too little and your bait won't stay put, able to flutter innocently, too much and that's the first thing the fish will pick up on when using it, experiment!

Also, while experimenting, tie a shakey head or a finesse jig to the leader instead of a mojo weight, two chances, and it may just help you zone in on the fish faster, fishing for bottom, as well as suspending fish
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 11:55 PM   #11
hackattack

right dampeoples, I did sound kind of commanding there. Sorry, joolz. 11" is fine but the range of leaders I use is pretty big. 11" will catch fish though
Old 04-28-07, 01:51 PM   #12
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Didn't mesn to point anyone out, I just see folks all the time tell new people 'exactly' how to fish something. I've stuck my foot in my mouth WAY too many times telling someone something won't work, then spent the day watching them reeling in fish after fish
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 07:57 PM   #13
hackattack

haha ditto me too!
Old 04-28-07, 09:33 PM   #14
jooleyen

Yeah. I understand they are just guidelines. I will experiment, and I figure that's the only way to find out how to catch them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.