Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-07, 11:39 AM   #1
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher
Default Is this a catch?

Yesterday, I went bass fishing. I hooked a monster largemouth on a rubber worm. I fought it for a little bit, and pulled it up on a shelf That was half in and half out of the water. I had its mouth in my hand for a split second. When flipped back, I tried to grab its tail, but it was already back in the water, and it swam right out of it. Then I grabbed the line, and the line broke. The largemouth was probably 7-9 pounds. I could have fit two fists in its mouth, and it was a football.
So what do you guys think? Is this a catch or just another fish that got away?
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 01:26 PM   #2
BassinBandit

I hate to say this because I know that was a heart breaker but for me personally I dont count them unless I get them in the boat. I know how you feel I lost a 4 pounder in a simular situation. I always tell it as the one that got away
Old 05-26-07, 02:50 PM   #3
islandflyfisher

If I don't get them in a boat, I don't count them either. The line isn't as definitive when fishing from land for me. I touched the fish, and it just shook away. I never got it completely out of the water because I didn't want to drag it on rocks. I still want everyone's honest opinion, but I just figured that I would add that.
Old 05-26-07, 03:29 PM   #4
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i dont count them unless i get them on land/in the boat..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 04:28 PM   #5
BassinBandit

My bad I didnt read that about the shelf. Well that is a tricky one. Sorry for the misunderstanding (well not reading your post good enrough) I think you might could count that. That is tough I guess it would really be up to you when you tell the story.
Old 05-26-07, 05:40 PM   #6
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wish you could count it, but my fishing buddy and I have a saying, "To count the fish... you have to control the fish!" I won a nice little bet last year when my buddy had a lip&slip drop back in the water on the last fish of the day. Sorry Island, no fish...
Old 05-26-07, 05:49 PM   #7
RyDogg

hey man, I wish I could say it was a catch. About 3 hours ago i was fishing my friends pond when i hooked up about a 12lbs catfish. I got it all the way up the boat after a good fight and lifted it just a little out of the water with my line and was about to grab its jaw. Then it shook and snapped my 6lbs test line. heartbreaker
Old 05-26-07, 09:46 PM   #8
Rodman_Rob

just consider it a really quick catch and release method. in all reality, you caught a fish, brought him to land, you planned on releasing him and you did, you just didn't get enough time to take his picture. i wouldn't worry about it though, we've all lost monsters at the shoreline. in hte end, it all boils down to you fighting a fish and having an enjoyable expierence.
Old 05-26-07, 11:20 PM   #9
islandflyfisher

I just wish I could have weighed it. It might have been the biggest bass I have ever caught. My hook is still in its mouth, so I guess I will have to catch it again to find out.
Old 05-26-07, 11:25 PM   #10
RyDogg

If you do that, make sure you make a post about it. haha. But I caught about a 2 pound bass earlier this year and when i looked in the mouth to get the hook out there was a rubber lizard in there also. So i guess its possible.
Old 05-27-07, 11:16 AM   #11
bassinbob

If you know you caught it, you caught it. Maybe no pics or someone to verify the catch but you know. That said I don't count them unless I have them out of the water or in the boat.

Bob
Old 05-28-07, 10:28 AM   #12
Christopherkeene9

I'm an IGFA rule man and if I touched the leader it counts!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 08:58 PM   #13
islandflyfisher

Thanks for all of the input. I am still not sure how I am counting it. That was possibly the biggest bass of my life, and would have probably been the biggest one I have ever weighed. My biggest largemouth is 8 lbs unweighed and 7.5 weighed. One person told me that they caught a 10 lb something ounce bass out of that lake and another person told me that they caught a 7 lb this year, but there biggest is 9 out of that lake.
Old 05-29-07, 12:56 AM   #14
vagabond

I fish with a guy that counts it as a catch if it's hooked and he can see it from the boat. It annoys me. I finally told him that they're not a catch unless he had the option of taking the fish home to feed his family.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 04:11 PM   #15
Rosemeyer
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to Rosemeyer Send a message via Yahoo to Rosemeyer

if you dont control the fish long enough to weigh and measure the fish you cant count the fish (thats my philosophy)
Rosemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 05:59 PM   #16
arlow
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandflyfisher View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I am still not sure how I am counting it. That was possibly the biggest bass of my life, and would have probably been the biggest one I have ever weighed. My biggest largemouth is 8 lbs unweighed and 7.5 weighed. One person told me that they caught a 10 lb something ounce bass out of that lake and another person told me that they caught a 7 lb this year, but there biggest is 9 out of that lake.

If you are in a tournament and you get the fish into the boat it is caught. If it escapes before you can get it in the boat or it flops into the boat and out of it it is not a catch.

As much as you dont want it to be that fish was not a catch. It is not your largest fish caught to date because you did not have it in hand and weigh it. The fish won and you lost. You will get another chance.
arlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 11:23 PM   #17
hackattack

wow harsh...I had the same thing happen to m, island... except my dumba** friend dropped it...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 01:34 AM   #18
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandflyfisher View Post
I just wish I could have weighed it. It might have been the biggest bass I have ever caught. My hook is still in its mouth, so I guess I will have to catch it again to find out.
lol, yeah, when its the largest you've caught, those catches do hurt. I'm somewhat upset about the longest bass I've ever caught because I never got girth......26" long and skinny......

caught one.....errr......brought one to shore the other day. a buck bass hit my cb about 15 feet from shore and hit it hard. I snatched that mh fast action rod hard, the power pro instantly got tight and out of the water comes the fish with the cb following about 2 feet behind it. bass landed on shore but wasn't hooked.....is it a catch, lol?
Old 06-06-07, 01:38 AM   #19
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
wow harsh...I had the same thing happen to m, island... except my dumba** friend dropped it...
don't blame it on YOUR friend HANDSel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.