Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-07, 08:00 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Where do I start report

At the beginning .....
Did an OT on TF for a barter for fishing trip/carpet install. Got a good response from Dan in Chesapeake VA and decided to go with it. Met Dan and Joe, Friday at my Gloucester place on the Piankatank River for a quick three room install of carpet. It looks great and these guys are forever in my debt. It was hard work and I too ache from the moving and replacing furniture. I will have to treat them to another day or two of fishing ..
Now to the report.
We hopped in the jet boat and shot up river to the mouth of the Dragon. Sounds dangerous doesn't it ... We fished the first mile with only a blow up or two on top water. With cooler weather it was clear that it sent them down to a sub surface bite. But tide was slow to top out so I decided to go deeper in the Dragon. We motored at an annoying 6 mph 4 miles back only to discover twenty boats flying up on plane in the no wake zones.. Well I have a jet boat !!! So I took a side creek to a hidden lake and discovered dead grass and algea. Oh well plan B.. Went past another ten boats till we found the spot. Water trickled over a huge log that stopped all boat traffic and two bass boats sat at log casting over it. SO SAD>>
I put the nose of the boat on the crossing log and gave a quick throttle and boat and crew flew over log. Virgin fishing waters where all ours.. For the next four miles we caught literly dozens of pickles and scrapy bass on Zara spooks and pop r's .. Wacko's in red shad where killer on both pickles and bass. You know I was so busy I never took a single pic..
On the way out a hidden log rolled over and almost dumped us.. SCARY..
But the boat stayed a float. Pasengers where tossed but not hurt.
After a brief lunch break we went back out on the CO STAR Mako to fish pillings on Piankatank River Bridge but only a couple of hits from small blues.
We set up a drift in the 28 feet of water and got 8 nice big hardheads. Dinner for Monday.
My bones ache and I am glad to go back to my desk at work for a day or two.. Then it is back at them on topwater.
Capt Mike
Old 06-18-07, 01:42 PM   #2
Wishing2BFishing

I wonder what the carpet guys were thinking when you told them you were going to "jump" the log. Those jet motors are amazing.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 10:28 PM   #3
brushhog

Capt, straight up trade, my canoe for your jet boat... Come on, i'll throw in the paddles!
Old 06-19-07, 08:58 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Capt, straight up trade, my canoe for your jet boat... Come on, i'll throw in the paddles!

Uhmm no got two canoes, sea snark, jon boat, three jet skies and a Ganoe in the livery already.. The ganoe is mine all mine..family ownes the rest...
It is a Lowes roughneck all weld double hull 17 foot vee with a Honda Four stroke 50/35 converted to jet. Used 3.5 gallons and GPS said I traveled 17 miles total. Paid 9k for it 6 years ago new. No no no trade as my daughters would kill me. They use it for knee boarding and tubing a lot too. OH and I love it too..

It was purchased to guide the Susky for smallies but the stocks crashed years ago and they have had a rough time since then. Pollution on the upper Potomac and Susky had me looking for other venues for it. I found it in backwater fishing and real skinny water.

Capt Mike
Old 06-19-07, 03:08 PM   #5
brushhog

Hey, it was worth a try... Life sound pretty good for the Capt. and Crew!
Old 06-19-07, 03:32 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Hey, it was worth a try... Life sound pretty good for the Capt. and Crew!

Yea I guess so. Please do not think I am a rich fugger as can barely make ends meet. But it gets better all the time.

Capt Mike
Old 06-20-07, 08:14 AM   #7
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Yea I guess so. Please do not think I am a rich fugger as can barely make ends meet. But it gets better all the time.

Capt Mike
Not what I thought at all.. Just sound like a guy who enjoys life, family and fishing...
Old 06-20-07, 08:32 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Not what I thought at all.. Just sound like a guy who enjoys life, family and fishing...
BINGO
Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.