Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-07, 11:28 PM   #1
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Unhappy I feel sooooo guilty...

Went out today scouting a few ponds around the area, talking to landowners trying to get permission and such, and fishd a new pond I just got permission to pitch in. So anyway, I realized where I was at and decided to stop by my grandparents' place, say hello, and toss a few worms in their pond, as it is always good for a few largemouth. Well, I hooked up with several, but one in particular (about 2 lbs.) swallowed a Gammie 3/0 almost to the eyelet. "Well, I will just use the new spiffy method of removing swallowed hooks I saw somewhere on this site", I thought to myself. This was the method of going in through the gill and rotating the hook point into the stomach, and gently removing it. Unfortunately though, just too much damage was done, and after 1/2 an hour of trying to revive said fishy she just would not breath, would not swim, was bleeding heavily, it really made me sad. Now I have used this method of unhooking swallowed hooks several time with great success in the past, but it was just not to be this time. The fishy died with me trying like hell to revive her. So *sniff* I decided to take her home and add her to the pile of bluegill I had in the fridge for dinner. I feel so guilty. Fortunately, there is no shortage of bass in this pond at all, and even more fortunately, it wasn't one of the big hawgs in the pond.
Old 07-27-07, 11:35 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At least you tried, now that you have learned that lesson, if it happens again and you spend more than a few minutes getting the hook out, cut your line and release it, and stop prying the hook if its bleeding heavily.
Also pay attention to your line moving while fishing and getting a bite, many times the hook being swallowed deep is a result of not setting the hook soon enough...a hard thing to do dead sticking a senko, I know.
Try a few more times on getting the hemostats in through the back of the gills, their long reach and slender profile sometimes is better than your hand or pliers. Also they have cheap hook removers that are effective, made of plastic and about the lenght of a straw.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:43 PM   #3
wargoth

Ooops, forgot to mention that I did catch her on a dead sticked Yum Dinger, my reel went all fuzzy on me, and it was a good one took me damn near two minutes to clear it. I was using forceps though, my fingers are just to fat to get into anything. I think she suffered the most damage from the fight she gave me with a 3/0 Gammie EWG in her belly. I have also read much on the whole hook cutting thing, and they have found that almost all of them with cut hooks in them will die from the hook. ALWAYS remove the hook is my motto.
Old 07-28-07, 06:33 PM   #4
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well, a fish... is merely a fish, no matter which way you slice and dice it. I always do my best to remove a deep hook, but the reality is after 10 minutes of trying to get the hook out, the fish will most likely die. So either take them home, or throw them back. A gator or bird will thank you. Spending 30 minutes on it will certianly not save its life, that much damage is fatal. Theres no need to feel guilty, theres plenty bass in this world. And if you fish tournys, well just know that a lot of fatalities occur to the bass after the release.
Old 07-28-07, 08:24 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wargoth, you are not alone-most of us have had that experience and feel the same way when it happens.
Old 07-28-07, 09:56 PM   #6
wargoth

02, she were'nt outta the water for 30 minutes, 1 minute tops, I spent 30 minutes trying to get her to breathe and swim on her own. I think the hook that deep tore her up too much. If I have to kill one or two now and again, I accept it, and will always take it home for dinner, as I feel that that is the least I can do to pay respect to the fish, but it still will always make me sad to kill a bass. Now walleye and perch on the other hand stand absolutely no chance of survival if I manage to get them on my hook, as them is food in my book. I really don't care too much for the flavor of bass, so I don't eat them unless I have to.
Old 07-29-07, 10:07 PM   #7
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Guttboy

I learned something from Reb yesterday when we were fishing together. He has a cutter of sorts that lets you cut the hook. If you can't get the hook out then at least cutting it would get most of the hook and the dangling line out.
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:18 PM   #8
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

If you have a hook cutter than see if you cant get all of the hook out. If you can see the hook and its far back in there dug into its flesh, try to expose the barb and hook tip by twisting the hook up and pushing the tip through another part of the fish, then cut either the hook tip/barb or shaft and pull the rest of the hook out. But most people dont carry those kinda tools and it can be very difficult trying to save them.

Wargoth, I used to be like that towards all fish, but after awhile I just realized its life and fish are capable with losing a few. Its nothing I enjoy, but if it happens, well it happens. I dont liek letting stuff liekt hat getting to me. But thankfully that situation doesnt arise much while freshwater fishing, now wwith saltwater it seems to happen a little more often, no clue why.
Old 07-29-07, 11:21 PM   #9
wargoth

Oh, it's nothing life shattering or anything for me, I'll eat bass from time to time, I just don't like taking them unless they are somewhere where they are plentiful (like Lake Erie). This was just a Eulogy of sorts for the fish, so she wouldn't just fade completely away.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.