Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-07, 08:30 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Angry PO'ed

We headed over to a nice reservior my our house, not too far, unless you let me drive, and I get lost. Which as you may guess, is what happened, it took us way longer than it should have to get there, and that's way less time fishing...

when we got there, we headed to the far north end and started casting, my dad a silver Bandit 100 series crank and me, a 1/2oz Booyah Boogee Bait, I was really hoping to catch some big bass or a pike on it. Anyways, on the north side of the reservior is a path which separates the smaller of the two reserviors from an even smaller little pond with a frsakin' jungle around it.

We made our way through the jungle and found and open spot to cast from. (we thought we'd give the little pond a try) Before I casted, I reeled too far and my snapswivel went into my first guide. ( I only use snap swivels when fishing for fun, it saves time) well, after twitching my rod tip, it came out. I casted and watched as my line did nothing but goa few feet, while my $6 boogee bait flew halfway across the pond. The flat metal part of the snap swivel slipped up farther than it should be and let the snap open up. So I slid it back down at angrily put on another lure.

Meanwhile, me dad had is brand new Bandit 100 over a tree branch. after I hooked his line with a 6" musky jitterbug I happened to have in my box, (for the pike) we pulled it back and cut it loose. He continued to fish while I put on my favorite black and blue jig wish a Zoom Ultravibe Chunk trailer on it. it also had an EChip (Which I got in the mail as part of a Feild Testing Program) anyways, after hanging it up on an underwater tree branch which must have slipped past the weedguard, I statring pulling.

Hoping the 30lb braid would either break, or break the limb off, I pulled, all of a sudden, you guessed it, it came loose, I reeled in and it was feeling awefully light. guess what? yup, a broken snap swivel... It actually bent the wire out of where it was supposed to be.

By now you'd think I'd have learned my lesson about snaps... but no, I put yet another one on (here comes another mistake) and on that goes a $20 Lucky Craft Crankbait.... I know, I should've just shot myself then...

After a few cast my dad walks up to me and says, "I lost my brand new Crankbait" (yup, the new Bandit 100 crank we just bought yesterday) TO make an already long sotry a little shorter... The new snap swivel did the same thing as the first, and I lost the LC Crank...

We didn't catch anything Either... And I also almost lost my new Booyah Moonwalker Spinnerbait. Can anyone cheer me up with a worse story, or maybe some free fishing stuff

I am going to send in the two snaps I didn't angrily throw into the reservior with an angry letter to the company, and knowing my luck, they'll send me a free pack of snap swivels...

bb144
Old 09-16-07, 08:35 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

There are alot of CRAPPY ones out there, and I have learned my lesson many times, but mostly in saltwater i use them more. I forgot the name of them, but They are like 6 dollars at BPS for 2... they will not break and catch the biggest of fish.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 08:41 PM   #3
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Heres an idea, ditch the pointless snap-swivels. Nothing but trouble with those. As well, I dont think throwing a 20$ lure in the area where you've been losing a lot of lures is such a good idea. Yet everyone has off days, losses lures, and what not. It happens.
Old 09-16-07, 10:25 PM   #4
Rebbasser

And now you know why I NEVER use a snap swivel, and haven't in about 30 years. I trust my knots a whole lot more.
Old 09-17-07, 02:54 AM   #5
islandbass

I think we've all had days like that. You now know that snap swivels can spell bad news. If it's any consolation, I've lost lures the same way you have. Sorry about the lucky craft!
Old 09-18-07, 04:16 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Well, I've gotten over it... well, almost. I only use snaps when we are fishing for fun, and not really trying to outfish each other and such. The rest of the day, I had no problems with my knots. EXCEPT that i switch lures a lot and get tired of tying knots over and over. I'll find a better snap swivel or just not use them. I'm thinking about going with the locking ones.

bb144
Old 09-18-07, 04:32 PM   #7
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The ones you want to use are called coastlock swivels 144, we use them on Erie for walleye, Salmon, Steelhead, etc., and haven't lost a lure in several years. Just make sure that you get quality ones, as the cheapie ones don't have soldered rings, and no bearings. We run 30Lb. Powerpro, and have brought in BIG fish with them. I hooked into something BIG this year (never sow it don't know what it was) that snapped one of our trolling rods which are rated to handle 75 lb. fish like a toothpick. The line held, the swivel held, my buddy got the rod tip back up, and the only reason we lost it was that the hook itself failed, sucker broke the point off a a #6 Gammy EWG treble...

So, if your gonna use swivels, make sure they are the good ones, and, don't use swivels when it really counts.
Old 09-21-07, 12:12 AM   #8
BigBassin144

I've already figured out my problem was that the snaps were cheap. I Got a pack of better, more expensive ones at Cabelas tonight and am gpoing to try them soon.

bb144
Old 09-21-07, 07:41 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've already figured out my problem was that the snaps were cheap. I Got a pack of better, more expensive ones at Cabelas tonight and am gpoing to try them soon.

bb144
Aint tryin to tell ya what to do BigBassin but take everyones advise and DITCH the swivels or the duolocks. They actually impair the action of most lures and I assure you that they will still fail at the WRONG time. Lures are built at the factory and tuned WITHOUT those things. Using them will change the action and MOST of the time for the worse.
Old 09-21-07, 08:08 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Thanks laser, but I am going to ditch them when we are really fishing, but not for fun. when we fish for fun, if I don't catch anything after 15-20 casts, i'll switch lures just for fun, and I don't want to rety everytime. Like I said, i did get some not-so-cheap ones and am going to try those out, I think they'll hold up pretty well.

bb144
Old 09-21-07, 08:30 AM   #11
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks laser, but I am going to ditch them when we are really fishing, but not for fun. when we fish for fun, if I don't catch anything after 15-20 casts, i'll switch lures just for fun, and I don't want to rety everytime. Like I said, i did get some not-so-cheap ones and am going to try those out, I think they'll hold up pretty well.

bb144
Its my opinion that you should take the advice of those who vote against the snap swivels. Not only do they add another link to fail but they can affect the action of certain lures. Retying is a small price to pay for doing things right instead of looking for shortcuts. Like I said, that's only my opinion.
I never use them and haven't used them since I was about ten years old. Then I learned to tie good knots and have the patience to do so.
Then again, I don't have a dog in this fight.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 09:50 AM   #12
JB

I've never used a snap, but have seen others that have poor vision to retie thier line use them..IMO they take away the sensitivity of feeling the bite
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 06:30 PM   #13
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Quote:

bb144
What?!?!!

I guess I dont understand the difference between 'really fishing' and 'fishing for fun.' Thats got to be one of the most absurd statements I've ever heard about fishing. but to each his own and if you want to use those snap-swivels go ahead, but dont post about how you lose lures or even a fish of a life while 'not really fishing, but just for fun,' because we warned you.
Old 09-21-07, 09:14 PM   #14
hackattack

snap swivels are a no-no...imagine if you had a big one on
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 08:07 AM   #15
scrap

even more consolation here. i have tied lures on with knots and casted.
i watched several fly through the air at a high rate of speed and drop in the dink. it happens. whether u use a swivel or a knot. even one time i threw a lure out from the boat and it sank to the bottom of the river quickly. i tied a piece of scrap line to the lure, it wasnt attached to anything. moral: things do happen, call it dumb, stupid or whatever. but it sure makes for good fish stories.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 07:43 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Yeah, I agree. I mean snaps, or no snaps, you still going to lose lures. no matter how good o knots you tie, they can still fail, just like snaps. I think I use them because I grew up using them because my dad has some arthritis in his hands and he could never retie for me when I was little. But I took it upon myself to learn some good knots. I think maybe I won't use snaps, and just change lures less often, my dad's always telling me to do that too.

bb144

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.