Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-08, 08:44 PM   #1
fishing-is-my-life
BassFishin.Com Member

Default chatter baits

I just recently bought the new 2008 chatter bait series, i was wondering if anyone has any idea how well these work... and if anyone had any tips on how to fish them. Any input would be helpful.

thanks,
Old 02-10-08, 08:48 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

just throw them out and reel back in likea rattletrap or spinnerbait. You can move the top tip or quit reeling for a sec to give them a darting action.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 08:50 PM   #3
fishing-is-my-life
BassFishin.Com Member

ok thanks.
Old 02-10-08, 08:51 PM   #4
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

I usually reel it back pause it and then twitch my rod tip trying to make contact with the cover. Or just reel it back, just be careful of weeds. It seems to screw it all up!!
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 09:43 PM   #5
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I take the skiirt off and replace it with a fluke. The bait has been 2 times more productive that way. Fish2win
Old 02-10-08, 10:08 PM   #6
fishing-is-my-life
BassFishin.Com Member

ok, thanks i will also try that way just to see which one works best for where i am fishing
Old 02-10-08, 10:32 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

they work well around grass, and on a local lake here they are deadly around boat docks.
Old 02-11-08, 12:03 AM   #8
keithdog

They have become my go to bait early in the season after ice out. I reel them in slowly trying to keep them close to cover. As I reel them in I will vary my retrieve to see exactly what the fish want that day. I add a plastic twin tail trailer to the bait for a little more action. You can make the lure dance and move around by raising and lowering your rod durring the retriieve. I would caution you however around brush. The chatterbait seems to grab ahold of any brush it come into contact with, unless you have one with the fiber weedguard. So be careful how you place your casts near brush. Once the water warms up to spawning temps, I seem to get a falloff in strikes on chatterbaits. We had a freak early January thaw that lasted aboout 4 days before the lakes froze over again. I went out to give it a wack for a couple hours just from shore and caught three bass. Thats why they are my to go bait when the water is still very cold. The water temps were only in the upper 30's at the time.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 08:06 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post
I take the skiirt off and replace it with a fluke. The bait has been 2 times more productive that way. Fish2win
I've tried a couple different kinds of trailers for mine. Never taken the skirt off though. I've used the trailer that comes on the BOOYAH Boogee bait and also I'ver use Zoom Swimin' Chunks on one of my smaller chatterbaits. (the only one i have left now). I'm going to get a couple more this spring, any suggestions on a good brand?

BB
Old 02-11-08, 10:11 AM   #10
keithdog

BigBassin, last year I purchased several brands of chatterbaits and it is my opinion that the original made by Rad Lures has the best action. I also prefer the heavier 1/2 oz. size. It allows longer cast, especially into the wind. The heavier weight allows me to work the bottom slowly, and yet will rise easily with a quicker retrieve if I wish to do so.
Old 02-14-08, 01:05 PM   #11
ironhead
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had my best luck working the chatter bait like a jig. I pull on it quickly to make it shake violently, then let it sink back to the bottom. I do this all the way back to the boat, or to where I'm standing on the bank.
ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 03:27 PM   #12
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

You could also try the "Chatterbox". It has a "chatter" blade that can be rigged horizontal or vertical so you can fish it slow or fast. I've never tried it, but I like the colors and the ingenuative thinking put into the design.

-Lunk-
Old 02-19-08, 07:10 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post
What size chatter bait and what size fluke ya been using Fish????? I have heard of this and havent tried it yet. I do have confidence in the chatterbait. LOL I have already whooped up on some local tourneys with the bait.
Old 02-19-08, 11:55 AM   #14
Fish2win

I use the 1/2 with the standard fluke (6 incher) and the 1/4 with the smaller. If you need a little slower fall use the big one. It is heavier but the bigger fluke glides more so it fall slower. One thing about it Laser, It aint a little fish bait. Fish2win
Old 02-20-08, 06:23 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love those inside tips. Filing this one away . Thanks Fish.
Old 02-20-08, 09:06 AM   #16
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up chatterbaits

I like Silent Thunder by Wacky Worm, their hook allows you to rig it weedless and it's longer. Check them out at ( www.wackyworm.com ). bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 08:44 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
They have become my go to bait early in the season after ice out. I reel them in slowly trying to keep them close to cover. As I reel them in I will vary my retrieve to see exactly what the fish want that day. I add a plastic twin tail trailer to the bait for a little more action. You can make the lure dance and move around by raising and lowering your rod durring the retriieve. I would caution you however around brush. The chatterbait seems to grab ahold of any brush it come into contact with, unless you have one with the fiber weedguard. So be careful how you place your casts near brush. Once the water warms up to spawning temps, I seem to get a falloff in strikes on chatterbaits. We had a freak early January thaw that lasted aboout 4 days before the lakes froze over again. I went out to give it a wack for a couple hours just from shore and caught three bass. Thats why they are my to go bait when the water is still very cold. The water temps were only in the upper 30's at the time.
Keith, I never would have thought of using a chatterbait as a cold water bait. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-20-08, 09:49 PM   #18
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

He preaches that lure like I.B. with the drop-shot!

-Lunk-
Old 02-21-08, 08:36 PM   #19
keithdog

hahaha, your right Lunk, LOL. And your welcome Reb.
Old 02-22-08, 06:25 PM   #20
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

I prefer the boogee in the shad pattern with a twin curl tail

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.