Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-08, 12:17 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally… Gone Bass Fishing!

Some of you might know that I broke my ankle in late May (double fracture) playing with the kids at the playground (that’s the truth) and as a result, fishing for this season is pretty much not going to happen until I heal. Per Doctor’s orders, I cannot put any weight on my right ankle lest I want to risk having surgery.

My dad came a long way to see me, and he wanted to do some fishing it possible and I thought to myself, I really shouldn’t fish, but on the other side of the coin, I don’t get to see my dad often enough because he lives so far away and he really wanted to go fishing, probably more than me!

This past Monday, I gathered up what we needed including a chairs for us to sit on.

It was a blue bird sky day. My gut feeling was saying that prospects were going to probably be slim and fishing tough.

I was hoping to be wrong and it appeared that I would be. Within minutes of rigging him up with the drop shot (6’6” med action rod with cabela’s 6# fc line) rig. He gets his first nibble as I am preparing my own set up. He gets my attention and I observe the rod’s tip twitch. I said excitedly, “Dad, set the hook!”

Just moments before the first bite.

Just to let you know, my dad is a newbie to fishing. The last time he fished with me was at this spot last year.

He reeled up the slack and pulled back just as a pro does to make a “cross the eyes” hook set and I thought. Wow! What a hook set! Where in the world did that come from? I didn’t teach him that. Well, at least he looked good!

I started laughing but not because he missed the fish. It was such a beautiful hook set, but unfortunately, that type of hook set is not needed when drop shotting. It was probably a decent sized smallie too.

I proceeded to tell him that that I meant for him to just reel up the slack to get tension to the line. He was bummed out but still kept an optimistic outlook for the rest of the day.

I spent most of the time trying to get my first jig fish: both jig and pig and Shakey head, but no luck today. I had followers with the J-n-P (30% of the fishing time), Shakey-head (30%), spoons (5%), lucky craft jerk bait (4%) and homemade inline spinners (30%) but no takers at all despite the adjustments I made in size and lure color.

My poor dad had no luck as the day went by miss after miss.

I switched to my comfort technique the drop shot (1%) and on about the 3rd cast with my dad right next to me I mentioned, “Got it,” as I reeled the slack in.

It might look like I am putting weight on my right leg but I am not. It’s all on the left leg.

I knew it was a small one but being only my second time out this season for bass fishing, I will take it. It is also my first bass this season too.

He jokingly said that I “stole” his fish and that my unasked help on that hook set was an attempt of sabotage. J

I was really hoping and praying he catch at least one fish, but it was not to be.

We fished for just less than three hours, but had to leave to beat the traffic to catch his train.

He went 0 for 8 and I went about 1 for 4, not including the followers.

It was definitely great father and son time, something I cherish deeply. So in addition to taking the kids fishing, if possible, don’t forget to take a parent(s) fishing too.
Old 07-23-08, 01:15 PM   #2
brushhog

It really is a toss up, who do I enjoy watching fish more, my kids or my Dad. The really great days are when we all go! Kudos to you IB for sucking it up and taking Dad out
Old 07-23-08, 01:29 PM   #3
Jim80

good to hear that ya got a line in the water man , being able to share the time with dad is priceless .
Old 07-23-08, 01:29 PM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i feel your pain IB, sitting here with a cast on my left leg due to an ankle break of my own. not a serious as yours sounds, but it has for sure knocked me out of commission. heck, i even missed a local club tourney because i didn't want to bear the heat with this thing on. good luck with the healing process. and i'm glad you got to get out, if even just for a short trip.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 01:30 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

ok, after reading that, all the font looks really small, but it's great that you got out fishing. Better luck for the next time you don't go fishing.

BB
Old 07-23-08, 03:00 PM   #6
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Its similar for me but not nearly as bad.... I got real bad poison ivy all over my arm and whenever I go out i gotta wear a long sleeeve in the 90 degree weather... long pants too.... irritating but anything to go fishing
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 03:04 PM   #7
JB

try that gold bond powder on poison ivy, it drys it up and wont itch as bad
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 08:05 PM   #8
Rebbasser

IB, that sounds like a great day. I lost my dad back in '02 and some of my favorite memories are of fishing with him. Glad you still have him around to fish with!
Old 07-25-08, 01:56 AM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Dude, that's awesome. I'm super fortunate to have a young dad and be able to share my passion with him. He's pretty free, so we go fishing a lot. You're post just makes me that much more appreciative.
Good luck with your ankle.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:18 PM   #10
bamabassman

great to see you out there man. and with your dad...awesum.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.