Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-08, 07:42 PM   #1
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default have a qustion bout german mausers

i was wanting to know if it is possible to take a german mauser and recamber it into a .308,,,, and how much to get some one to do it,, i know you can buy barrels for a mauser in .308
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 08:25 PM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
i was wanting to know if it is possible to take a german mauser and recamber it into a .308,,,, and how much to get some one to do it,, i know you can buy barrels for a mauser in .308
I believe you'll have to rebarrel. Y'see, most Mausers, in all calibers, used a long-case necked cartridge. The .308 Winchester AKA 7.62 NATO, is a shorter round. Also, the best of the bunch, the '98 Mauser, (especially the pre-WW2 Oberndorf,) if made for the Wehrmacht, was chambered for the 8mm round, larger than the 7.62/.308 in the bore. There are some Mausers out there in other calibers; the Argentine, Spanish (also 8mm I believe, and tore the Rough Riders up at Kettle and San Juan Hills,), and the Siamese, made for them as allies of the Axis when under Japanese domination. There's also a Chilean Mauser as well as some others used by various countries.
The Mausers made in what was then Czechoslavakia and Belgium are of high quality as well. Some of the other-than-Wehrmacht Mausers were extremely well-made, such as the Chilean Mauser and those built at La Coruna in Spain.
I would NOT mess with any that are not based on the '98 action, although there have been conversions done on the '95.
Too, you'll want the bolt handle turned down...not a job for you...and a lighter stock with a bit more drop. The trigger will need reworking to lighten the pull AND the creep or you might wish to install an aftermarket trigger group more suited to sporting accuracy.
Why not do a search for the info you need, as well as Mauser history in general...fascinating!
Better yet, why not buy the base version of Savage's new model that replaces the 110 series? They are considered to have the BEST out-of-the-box accuracy among the mass-produced rifles.You'll be better off.
http://www.savagearms.com/11fcns.htm

Lancer6
Ready! Aim! Drink!

Last edited by Lancer6; 08-24-08 at 08:31 PM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 08:43 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cause a mauser rifle is definatly a better action than a savage rifle. -i have both-i have a sweddish mauser and a swiss mauser. the 8 mm mauser works better on long case ammo size. the 30-06 comes to mine.

also the great thing with mausers is they are one of the strongest actions ever forged. i personally know of 3 rifles built from an 8mm frame but are over 500 caliber rifles..i own one the sweddish mauser it is a .505 gibb.

the one thing you do need to do is fine a good gun smith. they wont rebore the gun but the barrle unscrews-don't think you can do it your self either- you can have them put a differant barrle on the action..

the chamber bore for a 308 likely $200-$300 depending on what EXCATLY you want done..

zooker
Old 08-24-08, 08:46 PM   #4
tnfisherman

i have found a spainsh fr8 in .308, does any one know where i can find on for sale
Old 08-25-08, 10:46 AM   #5
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

Make sure, they are large ring Mausers, first of all, then do a serial number search and talk to a gunsmith that does Mauser conversions. Some of the Mausers did not get heat treated right, and if you put a 60,000 psi cartridge like a .308 in it, it may blow up!!!

Second, a barrel will run you up to 300.00 dollars, to chamber and install. Then all the other items, like bending the bolt handle to clear your scope, machining down the military sights, and restocking it, and putting an aftermarket adjustable trigger in it.

After all is said and done, go buy you a CZ rifle off the rack, if you have to have the Mauser design, it will be cheaper, or a Sako.
Old 08-25-08, 11:43 AM   #6
tnfisherman

i want a cheaper type rifle for long range ,, thats why i was going with the mauser b/c there cheaper than the other rifles
Old 08-25-08, 02:01 PM   #7
Lancer6

Quote:
i want a cheaper type rifle for long range ,, thats why i was going with the mauser b/c there cheaper than the other rifles
Tinnie,

I know and you're trying to do this so economically as is possible. But, to be realistic, "Long Range" means you need to do it right...accuracy-wise.
Not to question the wit and/or wisdom of other posters, I suggest (again) that you consider a new or gently used rifle that's already chambered for the round you prefer.
Here are a scad of links that bear out MY assertions re the Savage line.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
In addition, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, and others make some very fine rifles for us, the common men of this world. They can be had, if you search and shop patiently, for no more, or less than, the cost of PROPER conversion. Why not type in "Remington Rifle Reviews" and hit search.
If long range is your objective, there are other cartridges in the .30 cal class, so well as the 7mm/.280 or .270 loads that will offer excellent performance.
BTW, I assume you are thinking of deer-sized game at ranges to up to 300-400 meters, not Elk, Grizzlys, or the elusive Forkliftus Knowitallus Inebriatus.
Whatever you choose and obtain, remember that the quality and magnification range of your optics are perhaps even more critical. Cheap glass is bad stuff.
For my doings with deer and the occasional feral hog, or the South Texas cousin of the rare species listed above...Wetbackus Welfarus Illegalus, I deploy my BELGIAN-made Browning Auto Rifle in .270 Winchester with a Leupold 2.5x8 compact scope. Works so well for me that I sold my .300 Weatherby Mk V some years ago (a lefty!)
Now that you are thoroughly confused...Good luck in your search; Keep us posted, and BE SAFE!

Lancer6
FIX BAYONETS!!!
Old 08-25-08, 02:52 PM   #8
tnfisherman

i got the otpics its a 4-16*40 i think,, my grandpaw gots a rem700 in 308 and i love it but dont got 1400dollars to spend,,,,,,it would be used for long range target and deer hunting,, also does any one have a site that sales cheap .22 bolt actions
Old 08-25-08, 03:02 PM   #9
Lancer6

Exclamation

Quote:
i got the otpics its a 4-16*40 i think,, my grandpaw gots a rem700 in 308 and i love it but dont got 1400dollars to spend,,,,,,it would be used for long range target and deer hunting,, also does any one have a site that sales cheap .22 bolt actions
T-Fish,

There's NO way a bare-naked Rem 700 costs 1400 bux!
PLEASE...PLEASE! Go check the sites I linked for you and do some research.
Even new, you will be able to pick up a NEW rifle WITH warranty, for no more than 500-600 bux.
Buddy, you're trying to do things the hard way.

L6

PS: Don't skimp on the scope mounts!
Old 08-25-08, 04:54 PM   #10
tnfisherman

no thats fully decked out ,with scope,bipods,rings,evry thing
Old 08-27-08, 02:29 PM   #11
tnfisherman

i found a good cheap stevens .308 for $300
Old 08-27-08, 05:13 PM   #12
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not bad price stevens are a decent rifle.

zooker
Old 08-29-08, 07:07 PM   #13
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

Quote:
no thats fully decked out ,with scope,bipods,rings,evry thing
I shoot a Sako .338 win mag for elk. It has a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50 scope on it, with Sako rings, a bipod, safari sling, and I have just about 1600.00 invested, when I bought it all NEW!!!!! A Remington will run about 5-600.00 NEW. A NEW quality scope will run you about 500.00 bipod 150.00 ALL NEW! If your family member is trying to sell you a used firearm with all that for 1400.00 ummmmmm me thinks they do not want you to buy it...

Even a Remington Heavy Barrelled .308 will not run you that kind of money.
Old 08-29-08, 07:57 PM   #14
tnfisherman

it is my grandpaws rifle that he shoots ,,,,,,the rifle was 580,,,,bipods( $60),, scope($350),,,rings($33 they was millets rings),,,then a trigger job and setting it all up,,with taxes come to 1400,,,

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.