Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-09, 07:27 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Fishing with a torn ACL

My dad just got news his ACL is completely cleanly torn. He plans to get surgery on it, but I'm wondering what he'll be able to do about 3 weeks into his healing process.

Any of you ever fished with a torn ACL?

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 08:25 PM   #2
aikenyounggun

um i have never torn a ACL and i really hope that i never do.... but just ask the doctor im sure he will have an opinion on the matter..... it might be better if you let him sit down and he fished..... we had a guy in my club who caould barely walk and would dit down and just drag a worm.... he died a couple months ago at the age of 85+.... so you might want to check but im sure if you help him into the boat he will be able to sit in the back and fish

hope you have a fun time convincing him that he need to sit down
Old 02-23-09, 10:10 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ask zooker pal. he ( i think now) did the same thing. tell him we said heal up fast, but heal up right. do what the doc says. don't want to make it worse. we'll put him on our prayer list too.
Old 02-23-09, 10:13 PM   #4
WTL

I fear my Mom might have just torn her ACL or something important. She has been off it now for 2 weeks, says it is hurting more. Waiting until March to go to the doc cause she will go on Social Security then, doesnt want to pay the deductable for insurance right now.

Alabama had a punter who once punted in several games and even made a few TD saving tackles with a torn ACL. And I think John Elway played late in his career with severe ligament damage.
Old 02-24-09, 12:31 AM   #5
cassidyta

Having torn both the ACL and MCL at the same time I can say that it hurts but he can fish.
After the initial pain and swelling then he should be able to fish on it. He would have some difficulites walking up and down steep banks to get to the water but other than that he should be okay. The problem comes from side to side motion. If the water is not real calm then the rocking boat will hurt it and he should probably be sitting in those situations. Also getting in and out of the boat could be a real problem for him.
Old 02-24-09, 06:02 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ask zooker pal. he ( i think now) did the same thing. tell him we said heal up fast, but heal up right. do what the doc says. don't want to make it worse. we'll put him on our prayer list too.
i ripped my mcl. i belive the acl hurts when your leg is straight the mcl when you bend it.. they way to tell which is messed up is to lay on your back and try to lift the leg straight up..mcl tear you wont be able to do it..
i stayed off it for a week and i was sorta good to go i was at about 50% but was sick of sitting at home.. the pain lasted 3 weeks.. if he goes under the knife your looking at 2 months on crutchs and another 3 weeks in pain.. this is if the ortho scope it. if it is torn not broke they may just grind it smooth.-not joking-

zooker
Old 02-24-09, 07:26 PM   #7
bamabassman

o thanks zooker. i thought it was one or the other. so is the ol man gonna be able to go fishing?
Old 02-24-09, 09:22 PM   #8
zooker

not unless he is sitting down. i found that even a slighty cramped position is about the same as holding a stun gun on it..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.