Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-10, 08:15 PM   #1
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crankin set up

hey guys...havent been on here for a while.....im starting to move away from all my farm ponds and strip mine lakes and i am finding the need for a quality crankbait set up. I want something that will throw medium to deep cranks. What would be a good rod? I have been shopping around and found the BPS crankin stick but i heard people dont like those. So what would a be a good rod instead and what would be a good reel to throw on it. I don't wanna go over 200$.
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 08:40 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Dobyns Rods Champion 705CB GLASS. While I haven't used this specific model, I've heard great things and love my Dobyns rod. Right at the high end of your budget, but if the rod loves up to the Dobyns Rod repuations, it will be well worth it. And I do have to say, I was VERY impressed with my Dobyns.

Here's the TT review of the Dobyns CB rods. it's mostly about the 704CB Glass, but includes info on all the rods. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdobyns704cbglass.html

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 07-12-10 at 08:48 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 10:00 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have been doing some looking at CB rods myself, I recently came across this article on TT, might be worth taking a look at

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewluckycraft701mf.html
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 11:03 PM   #4
Rebbasser

I use a Falcon Cara deep cranker and love it. It is within your budget. Keep the reel in mind, though-for big, deep bruisers like a DD-22 you need a low gear ratio. A high gear ratio will flat wear you out.
Old 07-13-10, 12:04 AM   #5
keithdog

I just recently purchased a St Croix Premier graphite crankbait rod in 7' MH with Mod action and so far I've fallen in love with the thing. At $120.00 it wont hurt the pocketbook as much as some. I have it paired with a David Fritts 4.7:1 casting reel and it works out great for med to large cranks.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 07:09 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Medium cranks I use this: http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item483a3cca15
Deep cranks, this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item2eabda8fdd

For $200 you can have them both. They retailed at $209 & $219 respectively and that's what I paid for mine just a year ago. You won't find a better rod anywhere for $100. I'm not knocking the choices other's may make, but if you want to spend more on a rod of lesser quality - that's certainly your perogitive.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:09 AM   #7
Bob Smith

MY own personal opinion is that a rod does not have to be designated as a "Crankbait" rod to cast crankbaits and catch fish, nor does it have to be made of some exotic combination of carbon epoxy and glass or just glass. It should be fairly limber and long (my preference) with a decent number of eyes 10 to 11 is sufficient. Just about every rod manufacturer has a rod that comes close to that description. You really won't know what the right set up is until you attach the reel you plan on using. So I would recommend taking your reel in hand and going to a good place to sample rods, or several good places and look at a bunch of them. I have heard good things about several production brands like the Vendetta, Skeet's rods, Berkely, Allstar (I have a couple of these in the 7' salt water popping rods that work great as a crankbait rod and cost less than $75). The point I am making is don't make the mistake of getting all wrapped up in the "brand" thing because it may not make that much difference if you do not fish for a living.
Old 07-13-10, 10:49 PM   #8
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The BPS Crankin' Stick will do fine. If you're using deeper cranks a lot, go with the 7' MH, if you're using lighter cranks in the mid-range, go with the 7' M. Either model paired with a Revo S or Citica or BPS Pro Qualifier would be great.
Old 07-13-10, 11:31 PM   #9
james4243
BassFishin.Com Member

Berkly lightning rod 7 foot bout 50 bucks
james4243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 12:25 AM   #10
Bender

I use a BPS 7' ML for small crankbaits. It's pretty whippy but allows you to cast the light ones pretty well. I also just bought a 7' M KVD cranking rod, one of those big red ones. I've only used it one day so far but really like it for medium to deeper baits. I'm not sure how it would handle a DD22 but for those I normally use a regular graphite Medium rod and haven't had any problems. My BPS rod is last year or 2 years ago's model so a little different than the new ones but I like it, especially for the price.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:25 AM   #11
3dkicker

Here are a few to consider:
1) Quatum's KVD rods now on sale at BPS for $70 are good crankbait rods. Find the one for what you're looking for. (This will leave you a little more $ for a nice reel)
2) St. Croix makes some good glass rods for cranking. I've got a couple S-glass rods that have worked well for me for 8-10 years. They're heavier than most rods made today but the load up well and do a good job of getting the fish out of the thick grass I fish. I don't believe that lighter is always better.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.