Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-05, 01:52 AM   #1
fishcraze
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishcraze
Default New to the Game.

Hey All,
I grew up trout fishing at 8500 ft in the middle of the rocky mountains, I got just about all those techniques down. I recently moved down to Ft. Collins Co, and am trying to get myself into some Bass. Anyone have any advice for a newby? Ive, been using a white terminator on 4lb test. Yesterday I landed 2 1.5lb fish, but lost one that when it surfaced looked to be about 3 lbs (could just be wishful thinking though!) Is there any special way to get a good hook set on a Bass, I thought I had a pretty good one, I also lost another today when it jumped, just before getting rained out. Any comments, suggestions for someone with great fishing backgraound, but little Bass experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and Good Luck next time out!

Cheers,
Falko
fishcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 06:11 AM   #2
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum
Default Re: New to the Game.

Falko,

[move][glow=red,2,300]WELCOME!![/glow][/move]

to the site. You will find alot of useful information on this board. Lots of great people that will be able to help you out.
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 09:12 AM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

welcome, first off, try getting bigger test line, anything above 8lb test, unless you want to just try to play the fish in and hope the line doesnt break or you can use braid, alot stronger then mono, and better IMO. also, make sure your hooks are sharp.what have you beeen using?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 11:44 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

If you feel the fish is coming up to jump out of the water, lower your rod tip down in the water, and try to work it down a little. When a fish jumps, it's the easiest time for them to throw the bait. It's great to watch, but easy to loose fish as they surface. So if you want pretty, let em come up, if you want to catch fish, try to avoid letting them come up out of the water.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 02:55 PM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Word up Falko, welcome to the board watch the bull crap in here got my truck stuck three times in this forum!

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 03:13 PM   #6
fishcraze
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought about getting bigger line, but Im also still doing some trout fishing with light weight jigs that are impossible to use heavy line on, so far Im not too worried about breaking a fish off, haven't done that yet (knck on wood). They have just been spitting the spinner bait, the bait is brand new so the hooks are sharp as can be.... Thanks for the info lizards, come to think of it, the fish I have lost have been out of the water, so Ill deffinately try that, I'm heading over top the pond again tonight, so ill let y'all know how it went,
Thanks Again,
Falko
Old 04-21-05, 05:35 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

thats it! spinnerbaits are probally the easiest bait a bass could throw while jumping. like lizards said, keep the rod tip down when you feel the fish is coming up.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 06:17 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

falko
i don't realy care if it is a new hook the first thing i do is sharpen it...
i am guessing you are using a spinning rod. -can't imagine how far a spinner bait would go using 4 pound test- i would if possible either spool up a spare spool with heavier line 10-12 pound test or be like the rest of us pick up a bait monkey and buy a another rod and reel.

1 rod ok
6 rods fine
200 rods perfect

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 06:30 PM   #9
fishcraze
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL Zooker-
I like that but I am just a poor college kid with out a job, I mean I had to have my dad send me new line because I can't aford it. Deffinately will get new gear after the summer and I have a litlle more disposable money.
Thanks For your thoughts,
Falko
Old 04-21-05, 06:45 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lol
yeah well if you need something spit it out this is one site with a bunch tackle horder's -i swear lizard and pnj are ugly pack rats. i my self have sent tackle acrossed state lines.to the errr..needy shallwe say. scratch that accrossed international lines..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:32 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a great site for getting started in bass:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

Since you are already a trout fisherman you ought to see a lot of parallels and pick it up pretty quick.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:38 PM   #12
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Falkocsu,

Man, your not alone. I have lost three big bass in the last two weeks. I was throwing a soft plastic bait, TX style, and setting the hook "big time". These fish came up just to show me how big they were and then they were gone.
Not a problem with fish up to 4 lbs. but it's the bigger ones that give me a fit. Maybe this is just one of those years.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:59 PM   #13
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

Welcome to the site, Falkocsu. I am also a trout fisher. i just started getting into bass fishing and are new to the sport too. There are many great people on this site. Most of them have helped me many times. I will be learning much more, as im sure you will too. I hope to see you on 24/7 like i try to be but im only in 9th grade and have school during the day. I come on this site every chance i get when i get to use a computer. somethings i get lost in it and when i turn around there is a teacher stairing at me. lol...sry....got a little off topic.
Good Luck.

Clay
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 01:43 PM   #14
juicy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to juicy

The problem is that you are using trout gear to fish spinnerbaits with, I'm sure that the rod is short and flimsy, with spinnerbaits, you need a decent length rod and a stiffer action, but once you do that your'e going to snap your line on hooksets (4 lb) and go through baits like crazy, you need to beef up the equipment, that trout rod is not going to be able to make that hook penetrate the fishs' mouth especially with 4 lb test, unless you get real lucky
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.