Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-10, 07:20 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default I found a cure...

To jet lag. My wife talked me into going to the doctor for my jet lag and what she calls weird sleeping habits at times. Well this cat gave me a little pill called Ambien. And let me tell you, it is not a pill to take and then decide where you are going to sleep. You better have made it there before you take it. I took it on the trip and slept like a brick. I woke up with passengers sitting beside me and 4.5 hours left in the 12 hour flight. All I remember is being one of the first on the plane, settling in, fastening a seat belt and taking a little pill. It equaled OUT. I had a sticker they must have put on the seat stuck to the side of my head that said do not disturb this hibernating bear. Well, it didn't say that, but it did say do not disturb. Anyways, it has helped straightened out the jet lag over here.

But on a serious note, it hasn't mended my heart for leaving my family a month at a time. I think I have mentioned this before. But I pay a prayer and a condolense to the troops that leave their family for a year at a time. And I whine over a month. I have never been this homesick before though. It is almost at a breaking point for me, but I know I have to work to support and that is the ONLY thing that is keeping me over here. And jobs are not a dime a dozen right now as a lot of you know. But anyways, I just felt like writing my buddies a little bit and releasing a little. Holler at y'all a little more often in a few weeks.
Old 10-11-10, 01:10 PM   #2
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A guy here at work takes Ambian. Make sure the car keys are hidden. This guy has been sleep walking and gone in and really fowled the bathroom and left it for everyone in the morning. He remembers nothing. Three weeks ago, his wife commented in the morning about the hour and a half of great sex they had in middle of the night, sometime around 2 AM. HE REMEMBERS NOTHING!!! He told his wife he was going to stop taking it. She told him that he'd do no such thing. If he didn't remember the sex, that was his problem. She wasn't going to give up the strange love.

Last edited by dave; 10-11-10 at 05:17 PM.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 01:40 PM   #3
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Where are you?

Bubba I have been hit and miss on the board and you pobably posted it, but where are you and what you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
To jet lag. My wife talked me into going to the doctor for my jet lag and what she calls weird sleeping habits at times. Well this cat gave me a little pill called Ambien. And let me tell you, it is not a pill to take and then decide where you are going to sleep. You better have made it there before you take it. I took it on the trip and slept like a brick. I woke up with passengers sitting beside me and 4.5 hours left in the 12 hour flight. All I remember is being one of the first on the plane, settling in, fastening a seat belt and taking a little pill. It equaled OUT. I had a sticker they must have put on the seat stuck to the side of my head that said do not disturb this hibernating bear. Well, it didn't say that, but it did say do not disturb. Anyways, it has helped straightened out the jet lag over here.

But on a serious note, it hasn't mended my heart for leaving my family a month at a time. I think I have mentioned this before. But I pay a prayer and a condolense to the troops that leave their family for a year at a time. And I whine over a month. I have never been this homesick before though. It is almost at a breaking point for me, but I know I have to work to support and that is the ONLY thing that is keeping me over here. And jobs are not a dime a dozen right now as a lot of you know. But anyways, I just felt like writing my buddies a little bit and releasing a little. Holler at y'all a little more often in a few weeks.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 06:31 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bubba, i can understand how you feel about missing your family man. my heart goes out to you. i bet flea would love it if oyu could stay home jsut as much and oyu and the boys do. but you are correct, you jsut can't find a job out there now. theya re very hard to come by. i have been looking myself, and it just ain't nothing man. hard times are on us. we gotta keep our heads up though, this too will pass.
now as for the ambian........lisa takes it too, lmao. and dave is right.......the sex can be awesum sometimes, hehehe.

vegass, bubba is working on the other side of the globe pal. he works for a oil drilling company (i think) and works on those offshore platforms. he was on the one the exploded. but got off before it went off, he knew all the folks that died in that terrible accident. so glad he wasn't on it myself.
Old 10-11-10, 06:44 PM   #5
Vegasspider

Wow thanks - glad he is OK that was teribble and still is for that matter. My family is all in Florida west coast so it hit close to home.
Old 10-11-10, 09:58 PM   #6
Jrob78

Glad you made it safely Bubba. Sorry about the homesickness, I could tell you were having a bit of a hard time before you left. The time will go by fast though. At least we live in a age where you can communicate with your loved ones quickly. You don't have to wait for a letter to come through the mail.

I take Ambien all the time. It has helped my sleeping issues tremendously. I only take a half of one, a whole one puts you down for the count. You definitely can't plan on doing anything but going to sleep, it works fast too. Better living through pharmaceuticals.
Old 10-11-10, 11:37 PM   #7
Bender

Thanks for the tip Bubba, I'm going to have to get some of that if I can this week. I've only been home 1 1/2 days in 6 weeks and hoping to get home for 2 days this week before taking off again Saturday. I forget what my wife looks like and the dogs growl at me when I come home now.

I have a 14 1/2 hr. flight from Atlanta to Tokyo then a short hop to Shanghai. We need to get out and fish next time you get back!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 05:10 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Bama, I wasn't involved in the Horizon incident, but I know a lot of families effected either personally or by the ripple effect of it. Vegas I am currently in Singapore working 28 day shifts. And thank you for taking that repulsive avitar down. It wasn't helping my situation any hahahahaha. The song Feels Like the First Time comes to mind when I get home though after being over here a month hahahahaha.
Old 10-12-10, 03:24 PM   #9
bamabassman

i thought i said oyu weren't on the horizon bubba. if i did, i am sorry. i also thought i said that you knew the folks that were on it. it is a HORRIBLE tragedy, still is in my opion. i just than the good LORD you weren't on it. i mean that bubba. you are a very good man and wonderful husband and father.
Old 10-12-10, 04:19 PM   #10
Vegasspider

Default Avitar

Ha not problem that was scary..... Be safe I spent a week in Singapore and two weeks in Bangkok in the mid 90's. Don't care if I ever go back. Did not hate it but - well like I said if I never go back it would be too soon. Good luck to you and hurry up and make some money and get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Bama, I wasn't involved in the Horizon incident, but I know a lot of families effected either personally or by the ripple effect of it. Vegas I am currently in Singapore working 28 day shifts. And thank you for taking that repulsive avitar down. It wasn't helping my situation any hahahahaha. The song Feels Like the First Time comes to mind when I get home though after being over here a month hahahahaha.
Old 10-13-10, 06:15 PM   #11
coachpurdy

I know how you feel Bubba, I was in Iraq for almost a year. Thats why I got out of the guard I couldn't stand being gone for that long agian.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 06:35 PM   #12
3dkicker

Dehydration is the main cause of "jet lag". Up at 30,000 ft there isn't any humidity and you lose h20 just by breathing. Drink water, 1 liter per hour or two of flight time, and you'll do much better when you get where you're going.
Old 10-13-10, 07:13 PM   #13
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Dehydration is the main cause of "jet lag". Up at 30,000 ft there isn't any humidity and you lose h20 just by breathing. Drink water, 1 liter per hour or two of flight time, and you'll do much better when you get where you're going.
So your saying sunday when it was 90's here and I was fishing a tournament 6 hours in and I got the worst headache of my life ( I assume from dehydration ) that it was possibly jetlag .... or , maybe boatlag ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 07:14 PM   #14
CMorg

[QUOTE=dave;315406]A guy here at work takes Ambian. Make sure the car keys are hidden. This guy has been sleep walking and gone in and really fowled the bathroom and left it for everyone in the morning. He remembers nothing. Three weeks ago, his wife commented in the morning about the hour and a half of great sex they had in middle of the night, sometime around 2 AM. HE REMEMBERS NOTHING!!! He told his wife he was going to stop taking it. She told him that he'd do no such thing. If he didn't remember the sex, that was his problem. She wasn't going to give up the strange love.[/QUO

Was this a true story ? Sounds crazy to me

Last edited by CMorg; 10-13-10 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 08:55 PM   #15
bamabassman

i am inclined to believe it cmorg. my wife takes it from time to time. hehehe, not saying NUTHIN ELSE.
Old 10-13-10, 09:46 PM   #16
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
So your saying sunday when it was 90's here and I was fishing a tournament 6 hours in and I got the worst headache of my life ( I assume from dehydration ) that it was possibly jetlag .... or , maybe boatlag ?
Nope. I'd say you got your headache from dehydration. And you get jet lag from dehydration. Doesn't mean you got your headache from jet lag. It's a logic thing.

But I do like the boatlag thing.
Old 10-14-10, 07:54 AM   #17
walkeraviator

Actually the definition of jet lag is being on a circadian rythym set in a time zone different than you are in. Your body has a rythym, set by teh sun's cycle... so if you live in the eastern time zone and your body gets used to waking up at say 6am and going to bed at 10 pm, then you fly to california, your body is off by 3 hours... this is what causes your fatigue... it was named jet lag because this problem wasnt a problem when traveling that distance took a lot of time by boat or train and your body could adjust slowly

You do get fatigued from dehydration through high altitude dry air. But by definition this is just fatigue... not really jet lag...

This is as it was taught to me in my flight physiology class back in college...

And I had one of those dehydration headaches monday when i was gettin skunked at Barren Lake...

And I do believe the midnight love story. I apparently have done this to my wife back in college if i just drank too much...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 08:07 AM   #18
dave

[QUOTE=CMorg;315613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
A guy here at work takes Ambian. Make sure the car keys are hidden. This guy has been sleep walking and gone in and really fowled the bathroom and left it for everyone in the morning. He remembers nothing. Three weeks ago, his wife commented in the morning about the hour and a half of great sex they had in middle of the night, sometime around 2 AM. HE REMEMBERS NOTHING!!! He told his wife he was going to stop taking it. She told him that he'd do no such thing. If he didn't remember the sex, that was his problem. She wasn't going to give up the strange love.[/QUO

Was this a true story ? Sounds crazy to me
100%
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 06:11 PM   #19
3dkicker

I guess the technical definition of jet lag has to do with the time change. But it's probably confused with the headaches and fatigue caused by dehydration. I've flown out to the west coast several times and have never experienced true jet lag. Going either direction. And I've never suffered from dehydration either since I make sure I get enough H2O on the flight. I've known people who have flown from Boston to Florida and suffered "jet lag" even though there isn't a time change.
Kind of like people using ozone to describe air pollution that's created by factories and vehicles.
Old 10-14-10, 11:30 PM   #20
Abbeysdad

I'm certain of the boatlag theory - I know when i get back from the lake I have a powerful thirst and reach for my favorite beverage...and it must be really dry around my place cause the first one just evaporates after one or two sips.
Fortunately, there's usually more in the fridge where that one came from!
Old 10-15-10, 06:01 AM   #21
Bubba_Bruiser

I am 13 hours ahead of central time over here. So I am really bass akwards over here. I am finally making it to sleeping to 3 in the morning and I just get up and go ahead and start my day. And only 2 weeks and some change to go.
Old 10-19-10, 06:57 PM   #22
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
You do get fatigued from dehydration through high altitude dry air. But by definition this is just fatigue... not really jet lag...

This is as it was taught to me in my flight physiology class back in college...
Had this happen to me on Sunday. Hanging around 11,500ft too long. Landed, got out with a pounding headache, and blew chunks!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.