Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-10, 02:55 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Fishing after the heavy rains

We are on our 7th consecutive day of rain with at least three more in the forecast.
Normally, I would wait to go out, but my son is visiting for Christmas, and my only chance to fish with him will be on the 26th. That should put me right at the tail end of the storm.

I do not believe that the water dropped in lowered the lake's temp too much. The water and air temp have been hovering around 62 for a while now.

So, what should I expect from the fish that have a sudden abundance of water and dirt in their environment? The lake is usually gin clear, but visibility is now quite limited.
Old 12-22-10, 03:04 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would go assuming the worst, and you might be surprised to find a good day.

Whenever the water level has been raised a good bit by rain, I will spend some time up shallow. Bass are curious enough to go where they couldnt go before. A couple years ago at the kentucky getogether we were catching bass off swingsets, grills and peoples porches the water was so high. Different time of year, but I wouldnt foreclose the possibility that they will be up shallow.
Old 12-22-10, 07:18 PM   #3
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Whenever the water level has been raised a good bit by rain, I will spend some time up shallow. Bass are curious enough to go where they couldnt go before. A couple years ago at the kentucky getogether we were catching bass off swingsets, grills and peoples porches the water was so high. Different time of year, but I wouldnt foreclose the possibility that they will be up shallow.
I agree. If I remember right.. JB caught a 5-lber, in someones flooded backyard, along side some submerged trees.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 11:05 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree with the above. My question would be if the lake is normally gin clear, would the sudden murky condition shut the bass down or cause them to venture out more and feed. I would think they would feel a loss of security and hold close to cover. I'd be pitchin a big dark or light colored jig into and very near cover and working a white/gold spinnerbait near cover.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 11:39 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If normally clear lakes get stained to muddy, sometimes it can wreak havoc for a short period of time. Your best bet is to go shallow, and tight to cover.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:18 AM   #6
yeanic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re:

Just like in freshwater fishing you want to during or after the rain, because most bait fish (ya kno the stupid ones) come up to bite at the rain thinking that they're bugs or whatever, and because these bait fish come up the predator fish come up to eat the bait fish.
yeanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 09:51 AM   #7
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is what I like to do in this situation WORMS,12 inch Manns Jelly worms, T rigged. I look for areas of great runoff, and go away from the shoe to the firs initial drop off or look for boulders, I have a lot of good fish this way, as I believe the fish are keying on worms, insects and such being swept into the lake by the runoffs.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.