Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-10, 12:33 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fried fish causes strokes??

I thought this was interesting enough to share with my fellow anglers from the south.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...okebeltmystery
Old 12-23-10, 01:37 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting, but as usual here is another scientific study that tells us something that anyone could see just by visiting the area.

These states have some of the highest obesity rates in America. So duh, there is going to be a correlation with strokes, and other diseases related to unhealthy eating and living.

There is nothing magic about fried fish that causes strokes. Frying food in general shouldn't be an everyday thing, but in the south it is; chicken, gator, pickles, turkey, onion rings, okra, ice cream, oreos, fish, hamburgers, ham sandwiches....I seen just about anything edible fried in the south at one point.

And someone would be surprised that a menu like that causes strokes? Huh. Big research Universities in action.

P.S. I will also add that grilling bass, pickeral and perhaps other warmwater species is better than you would think.
Old 12-23-10, 02:25 PM   #3
66KingFisher

I haven't tried grilling fish but once and it turned out ok....Because of my heart condition, I seldom do much frying anymore....Here lately, i've been baking fish in the oven with great success.....I just thought it was funny how this article wants to pin down fried fish as a cause of stroke....when everyone in the south knows that fried anything is not good for us....lol.
Old 12-23-10, 03:30 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I keep waiting for the day when people stop worrying about what other people eat.
Old 12-23-10, 03:48 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I keep waiting for the day when people stop worrying about what other people eat.
Yeah, me too....

What's for dinner?
Old 12-23-10, 05:03 PM   #6
bamabassman

<<<having FRIED FLOUNDER! hahahahahaha. i agree with what wtl said. and bryce, micheal.....GRILLED striper is AWESUM! place a layer of tin foil across your grill so the meat doesn't fall through. place fillet on foil, have mixed butter (or imitation butter so's you don't stroke out or have a heart attack, pun intended),melted of course, with lemon juice and sea salt and pepper. apply with brush on fillet. grill till done (bout 10 minutes i think). EAT!

Last edited by bamabassman; 12-23-10 at 07:47 PM.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 05:33 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Yeah, me too....

What's for dinner?
DUH!!! Fried fish
Old 12-23-10, 06:04 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
<<GRILLED stripper is AWESUM! !

Don't tell Lisa!!
Old 12-23-10, 06:08 PM   #9
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Crap! I am SCREWED!!!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:13 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got to agree with Billy on this one. Although many see it this way, correlation does not imply causation. Let me give you a silly example:

As the number of drownings in the US increase, so does the amount of ice cream consumed. Is this because when someone drowns, we grieve over a double scoop? No. Or does it mean that eating ice cream causes people to drown? No. In this example, it is easy enough for us to see that both the amount of ice cream consumed and the number of drownings increase during the summer.

So just because two things can be correlated like this, it doesn't mean one causes another. But unlike the drowning/ice cream example, when you compare the number of strokes to the amount of fried fish consumed, it is more plausible to assume that one is caused by the other. However, like Billy said, there can be numerous other factors that people in this "stroke belt" have in common. Eating more fried fish is just one of them.

BB
Old 12-23-10, 06:31 PM   #11
Ebbetsguy

First off I agree with No - Fear wholeheartedly in this area, no bodies business but my own. I can not let the above post go unchecked.
That is a ridiculous analogy and as such can cause young impressionable readers to make an uninformed choice
I am a stroke survivor, both parents both grandfathers and 3 uncles all suffered and died from strokes
I can not tell where the first article mentioned has it's origins
I can tell you that the overwhelming medical evidence, published in literally hundreds of peer review articles show a direct correlation into the consumption of fried foods and increasing your individual risk at a stroke
The reason this information is important is that many folks who have survived strokes are told to put more fish and poultry into their diets and it is important for them to understand that does not mean these items are safe for them , if fried.
So comparing this kind of study to the ice cream analogy while provoking some laughter is in-correct and harmful
I changed my weight, stopped eating fried foods, got clean and sober , kept my sugar in check and I am approaching my 60th birthday, and that is a miracle!

btw My Grandfather and 2 uncles were at normal weight when they were taken from us, this does not me that obesity does in fact increase your chances, it means your weight does not always reflect your arterial health

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 12-23-10 at 06:37 PM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:31 PM   #12
keithdog

Looks like I'm gonna die.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:34 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

I wonder how many of them were smokers?..Or watched ''Medium''?

Because both of those are awful for you as well.
Old 12-23-10, 06:38 PM   #14
tarpon120

I had fried fish for lunch today, but my preference is grilled or baked/broiled in the oven. Although being around restaurants for many years primarily on the consrtuction side I have seen candy bars and everything else fried here in the south. I try not to eat as much fried food as I once did but its so convenient. And oh the best way to do a hot dog is to fry it like french fries.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:53 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
So comparing this kind of study to the ice cream analogy while provoking some laughter is in-correct and harmful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
But unlike the drowning/ice cream example, when you compare the number of strokes to the amount of fried fish consumed, it is more plausible to assume that one is caused by the other. However, like Billy said, there can be numerous other factors that people in this "stroke belt" have in common. Eating more fried fish is just one of them.

BB
Ebbetsguy, BB's not saying that eating fried food is good for you, or even that it doesn't contribute to weight gain, diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, or whatever. The original article is specifically referring to fried FISH, and FISH only.
BB was poking fun at the study because it failed to include the information that in the states surveyed, much more fried food is consumed, generally speaking, than in other parts of the country. Yes, fried fish is not healthy. Yes, it contributes to heart attacks and strokes. But if every person in those states quit eating fried fish, it probably wouldn't have much (or any) effect on the number of strokes in each state, because they'd simply eat more french fries, fried chicken, chicken-fried steak, turkey, and everything else WTL listed. The amount of fried food they eat wouldn't decrease, it would just be different foods, but still fried foods.
Old 12-23-10, 07:01 PM   #16
Ebbetsguy

Hey I understand that. I put this in the beginning of my post: "I can not tell where the first article mentioned has it's origins
So I can not defend that article

I also understand that all things remain the same , leaving fried fish alone will help you avoid strokes to some miniscule degree

No one leaves the hospital, I would hope that no fried foods means just the NO FRIED FOODS, period

I was a bit alarmed that discrediting this information , wholesale for a laugh , might do some harm

I am very sensitive on this subject being a survivor

I can't tell you how many stoke victims I have met under the age of 30

Not trying to insult but inform

Have a Good and Blessed Christmas

ps I am gonna eat one Canoli, and I know better
Old 12-23-10, 07:05 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
First off I agree with No - Fear wholeheartedly in this area, no bodies business but my own. I can not let the above post go unchecked.
That is a ridiculous analogy and as such can cause young impressionable readers to make an uninformed choice...

...So comparing this kind of study to the ice cream analogy while provoking some laughter is in-correct and harmful
That example was SUPPOSED to be ridiculous, that was the point. It helped me to demonstrate that correlation does not imply causation. Perhaps it was not the most fitting example for this scenario, but it served its purpose.

Quote:
...btw My Grandfather and 2 uncles were at normal weight when they were taken from us, this does not me that obesity does in fact increase your chances, it means your weight does not always reflect your arterial health
Yes, we all know fried foods aren't good for you, but why fried fish. What about chicken, french fries, or twinkies? Like you just said in this post, just because you're fat, it doesn't meant you're going to have a stroke, or a heart attack, or whatever, but it is more likely. weight is just an "indicator" to one of many variables that could lead to a stroke. I think there are just too many that may even fit most in the "stroke belt" to say that eating fried fish is what is increasing they're chances of having a stroke.

BB
Old 12-23-10, 07:12 PM   #18
Ebbetsguy

Oh well, guess you didn’t get the part about obesity not being the only indicator of arterial health. Potatoes, Fish and Poultry are the 3 most common fried items in the American diet.

I guess you missed this part of my explaination as to why it is important to call attention to the consumption of fried fish, fish being considered a healthy food option:"The reason this information is important is that many folks who have survived strokes are told to put more fish and poultry into their diets and it is important for them to understand that does not mean these items are safe for them , if fried."

I really tried not to ruffle feathers, and to try keep folks informed about stroke risk, don't really care if I did, I wrote my piece and im done with this. Read for yourselves, please stick to peer reviewed articles, not paid for by drug companies and talk with your doctors. See ya
Old 12-23-10, 08:03 PM   #19
bamabassman

well BOB-O lisa DID hear what i wrote. hahahahaha, i corrected it i hope. i ain't the best at spelling ya know. KUNTRY BO-WE, haha.
now ebbits, buddy i and the rest of us understand how you feel. there is a family history of heart related illnesses in my family as well. but i think that what they are trying to say ina way is WATCH YOUR DIET. universities across the country are ALWAYS trying to get federal monies to sponser "STUDIES" that really have already been done. EVERYONE knows that if you eat unhealthy, oyu're at risk of a heart attack or a stroke. proper portions and so forth along with exercise (spelling bob-o?, lol) is the best way to a healthy lifestyle. so please try to have a laugh along with us pal. you are a great fella and we all like you. ok? it's cool buddy. we thank you for your efforts on this matter too. for real.
now......i want to know who had a grilled stripper? hahahahaha.slathered in butta too. hahahaha. me? wellllll..............once upon a time in a land far,far,FAR away................
Old 12-23-10, 10:28 PM   #20
66KingFisher

All my life, I've lived in the "Sun belt, the Bible belt, and Tornado alley"....Now I learn there's a "Stroke belt" and I'm smack dab in the middle of that too.....I just can't win fer loosin....lol.

Ebbits....Buddy, I too am a survivor....I had a massive heart attack at age of 38 that left me with a severely damaged heart muscle, but at least I was alive, and still am some 15 years later even though the doctors said my heart might not last that long.....I spent the next several years hounding my buddies, friends, co-workers and alike about the need to change their habits...eating, smoking, drinking, drugs and the such. To the best of my knowledge to this day, not a soul has taken my advice or heeded any of my warnings...We all know the dangers of bad living and choices of what we put into our bodies, but we tend to ignore them, untill it affects us personally, and even then many times we do nothing to change our bad habits.....I've watched friend after friend drop dead from alcohol and bad living choices, and not a thing I said made a bit of difference to any of them. It took me a few years to realize no matter how much I talked about what I'd been thru, it never changed anyones behavour or habits.....And for years that bothered me...I took it personally in many regards, but finally realized I can't afford to feel that way, and you shouldn't either....Its their decisions and we can't afford to take it so personal bud....At least thats the way I see it. Feel free to spread the gospel of a healthy lifestyle, just don't take offense if nobody takes you seriously or cracks a joke that includes having a stroke in the punch line.
Old 12-29-10, 02:11 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Personally, if living to 80 instead of 70 means no french fries or fried chicken...I'll take 70. Just put an extra large order of Mcdonalds fries in my extra large casket to snack on in my journey to the afterlife.

I have to add a disclaimer though to my cavalier attitude towards arterial health. While I am a big lardass, for some reason I have perfect blood pressure and a crazy strong heart. So other than making me appear to be about 5 months pregnant at times, eating fried food and all the red meat I want works just fine for me. It's a genetic thing. I'm a Viking I tell you. A big fat capitalist Viking.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.