Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-05, 02:56 PM   #1
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default New Member

Hi all fellow bass fishermen. I just joined this group and so far have enjoyed the posts that I have read on here, its nice to have others advise on techniques for fishing on the various lakes around america.
A little about me, I have bass fished for about 25 years , am from Ohio and fished the BASS federation in Ohio all during the 90's and was angler of the year for my area (region 5 in ohio) and also president of local fishing clubs and also tounament director for more tournies than I'd like to remember.
I had to get out of tournaments for a number of years due to the fact that I had both my kids in college for about 6 years, and now in the last couple of years have gotten back into bass fishing recreationally.
I'll probably just enjoy reading the posts and hopefully wont step on anyones toes if I give some advise to newbies to bass fishing..
Anyways.. thanks for letting me join!
JB
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 03:18 PM   #2
bassguy2004

Default Re: New Member

Welcome JB, pull up a seat and dig in.
Old 03-28-05, 03:46 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks!

Are most of the member spread across the U.S.?
I fish all the lakes in Ohio and also used to be on a river rat circuit on the Ohio River, plus love to go to Kentucky Lake (big bear cove) and fish
Especially like to fish jerk baits ..till my forearm gives out lol
Old 03-28-05, 04:06 PM   #4
bassguy2004

Pretty much spread out. As you can see I live in California only about an hour and a half from Clear Lake where the Bassmasters have their tourneys on occasion.
Old 03-28-05, 04:41 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Clear water finese fishing I would imagine,, in ohio its murkey city, a 2 foot visablity is a good lake lmao
btw, if I link to a picture for a dif. avatar.. is there a size requirement? like for example if the picture is 100x100 ..what is the required size to fit on this forum?thanks
Old 03-28-05, 04:49 PM   #6
bassguy2004

It says on the profile page, that the avatar will be resized, so I assume that the program running the board will make any adjustments necessary to the photo. Clear Lake in name only, it can be pretty bad at times.
Old 03-28-05, 05:00 PM   #7
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

An angler who knows tournaments. Welcome aboard.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:36 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

welcome JB,looking forward to your posts.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:29 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

good to have more knowledge on the board, kick your shoes off, and relax.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:34 PM   #10
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

Welcome aboard JB, always good have new opinions on things. I fished Kentucky/Barkely Lakes once last year. I am also going there later this year in October to fish a trny.
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:45 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks
Usually we hit Kentucky Lake this week everyyear ,
but my daughter that just graduated is getting married in May, so again I couldn't afford it, but when we did go it was all the guys in my bass club the same week the Redman Tournie went out of Moors on the Kentuckylake side, and of course this time of year the water temp is 50-52, the guys work the points with jerk bait (black and silver rougue with orange belly, with some like blue on the sides ) or go to the back of the coves flipping buck brush and running a rattle trap, and the chartuese
spinner bait is a favorite too..the lake is do darn big and most of the people that ya meet are going after slab crappies, so theres plenty of room for the bass fishermen.
In the past (mid 90's) I imagine most of you will remember when the rage was to weight a rattling rogue to make it suspend, long before Smithwick came out with them suspend right out of the box.
They can wear you out, but theres nothing like a
strike on a jerk bait, its so aggressive!
Old 03-28-05, 08:40 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah there is any strike on a lizard.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 08:45 PM   #13
bassguy2004

JB, are those a couple of smallies in your avatar?? They look to be about 4 to 4 1/2 lbs.
Old 03-28-05, 08:45 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum, JB!

We pretty much cover the US from Maine to Florida to Texas to California and all parts in between. We also have folks from Canada, Europe, South Africa and Australia, so we have quite a mix. Jump right in and make yourself at home!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:54 PM   #15
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Toes are meant to be stepped on occasionally. Welcome aboard and comment wherever. Maybe I missed it, what part of Ohio? Born in Akron, lived in Northhampton till I was 10, been in Fl now for 25 years. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:00 PM   #16
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

New Guy,

Let me tell ya I live in texas 8).as you can tell.BY THE WAY IF YOU HAVE ANY Q'S ASK AWAY ;D

No Backlashes,
TEXASKAYAKER

p.s. not TAXCOLLECTOR
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 01:29 AM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Welcome back to the addiction of bass fishing Official site of Bassaholics Annonymous 8) Look forward to discussing some tips with ya. So while were on the subject ;D Tell me about the Ohio River, especially Lawrenceburg, IN, Paducah, Rocky Point. These are all parts of the Ohio River we fish this year in the BFL, and of course I have never fished this river before. Any info is appreciated.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:02 PM   #18
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey on the part of Ohio river in Indiana (Lawerenceburg)
that would be one of my old stomping grounds of Tanners Creek, you'll go off a small ramp in the creek and hit the rip rap that leads out to the river.

On the left side of the mouth of tanners is a warm water discharge that holds fish from a power plant,
but what i like to do is go right from tanners (west) and stay on the indiana side for a mile and go to the next creek that has a sign for the town of Aurora, hit that creek real hard all the way to the back where it hangs a left ..if you stay in tanners and go up the creek, its plenty wide and try to hit the steel wall that Sigrams Distillory is..that hold fish, but my best bet is fish tanners to the mouth of the ohio river, then hit the next big creeks west, and remember that river usually means one thing, small bait selection, hair jigs, worms, single blade white or chartuese spinner, the locals throw small flat sided "wee baits" crank baits, but my fav on the river is 3 inch craw, theres lots of junk in the water besides the riprap n wood. also take note that they pull water all the time, you'll hear when the water is going down the bite slows, and also keep in mind the river is full of 12-13 inch largemouth that fight like hell due to the current, and that can be frustrating trying to weed out some 3-5 lb fish...
The ohio river gets hit hard by tournies, we go to the creeks on the ohio side often and by late summer just about all the fish have been sore mouthed.
Old 03-29-05, 09:08 PM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1112032586;start=0#17 date=03/29/05 at 19:02:33] Hey on the part of Ohio river in Indiana (Lawerenceburg)
that would be one of my old stomping grounds of Tanners Creek, you'll go off a small ramp in the creek and hit the rip rap that leads out to the river.

On the left side of the mouth of tanners is a warm water discharge that holds fish from a power plant,
but what i like to do is go right from tanners (west) and stay on the indiana side for a mile and go to the next creek that has a sign for the town of Aurora, hit that creek real hard all the way to the back where it hangs a left ..if you stay in tanners and go up the creek, its plenty wide and try to hit the steel wall that Sigrams Distillory is..that hold fish, but my best bet is fish tanners to the mouth of the ohio river, then hit the next big creeks west, and remember that river usually means one thing, small bait selection, hair jigs, worms, single blade white or chartuese spinner, the locals throw small flat sided "wee baits" crank baits, but my fav on the river is 3 inch craw, theres lots of junk in the water besides the riprap n wood. also take note that they pull water all the time, you'll hear when the water is going down the bite slows, and also keep in mind the river is full of 12-13 inch largemouth that fight like hell due to the current, and that can be frustrating trying to week out some 3-5 lb fish...[/quote]

WOW thanks for the info, yep we are going out of Tanner's. Any more info just PM me, there's a guy on here who's my competition ;D Just kidding of course. When you say small, with a lot of current, isn't it tough to keep it down, or are we working the current? If I can get a limit, then what do the Hawgs want. Something bigger, or the same small stuff? Are we talking in-line spinner small or just downsized stuff from say 6" lizards to 4"?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:16 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh those 6 inch lizards work fine, just go to any tackle place, (Lawenceburg has a good one downtown) I bet ZOOM has made a fortune off that guy, all the locals fish that brand and as far as the spinner, i like the gold 1/4 or 3/8 colorado blade, bout the size of a quarter, with white or shad skirt, and you really dont feel the pull of the water in the back of the creeks, you mostly see where the water is low..also ..many creeks on the ohio river have small yacht clubs or pond like areas...HIT THEM !..they may say private or no fishing but theres no law that they can enforce..all those areas hold fish.
I think what you are going to run into as far as the locals fishing, one has a jig, one has a worm and work the banks hard...good luck and dont bottom out! lol
Old 03-29-05, 09:20 PM   #21
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Hey JB!

Any suggestions for a new Tournament Director? I got nominated to be the director for a statewide Law Enforcement tournament in June. Not real sure what I am doing. Have fished a lot of them, just never paid any attention to how they were run. ANything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:33 PM   #22
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

The biggest challenge Â*I had in 4 yeras of tournament director was having to challenge people that show up late to the ramp, of course many times you had to wait in the parking lot or go out in flights, but you usually had to check in at least by 6 a.m. or 6:30 to get in.
Also the payment is prepaid, not at the ramp,
get the same person to weigh all the fish, penalize just like BASS does for fish under the size limit per the body of water your on, and all the other rules of the club or organization, ours almost always followed federation rules which are the same for B.A.S.S.
Most of ours were one or two day tournaments and fish 6-2 or 7-3 , although I have fished plenty of 10 hour tournies to..kinda depends on the time of the year, and penalize anyone come in later per minute.
Old 03-29-05, 10:39 PM   #23
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

JB, Belated welcome. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 12:00 AM   #24
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Hey Lizards let me know when you're headed to Paducah. I fish the Smithland pool alot (1 lock North on the Ohio) I might be able to let you know whats goin on a little bit. I'll bet though that if you guys start at Paducah you end up fishing the Cumberland river. I would ;D
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:18 AM   #25
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

[glow=blue,2,300][move]WELCOME!![/move][/glow]
to the site. Â*Hope you enjoy it here.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.