Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-11, 09:03 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Tornado near Kory and Britney

I heard that a tornado has gone through Joplin, Missouri. I just talked with Kory and his family is fine. The Tornado passed about 10 miles or so from his home. From what he has heard, the damage is real bad including damage to the hospital. Thoughts and prayers to the people of southwest Missouri. He asked that I post this because he did not know when he would be able to. Cell service in his area is questionable at best. If I hear anything else, I will update it.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 09:58 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man, enough with the bad weather, already. Glad Kory, Britney, and Lake are ok, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't.
Old 05-22-11, 10:00 PM   #3
TN_Bassin

Glad to hear they're ok. Hope everyone gets the help they need.
Old 05-22-11, 10:03 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

praying for those out there. thankful kory, britney and laken are ok. sent him a text and hope he can respond soon.
Old 05-22-11, 10:46 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Ditto to what TN Bassin said.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 11:02 PM   #6
everettvet

When I talked to Kory, they were shaken up but ok. He was looking to go help in the search and recovery effort. Weather channel is reporting 24 dead and thay number could and probably will increase.
Old 05-22-11, 11:07 PM   #7
keithdog

Thats horrible news but thank God Kory and family are ok. Prayers are with ya all down there.
Old 05-22-11, 11:59 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Guys thanks for all the well wishes. I really can't put into words what I seen tonight, the word devestation doesn't even come close. Britney, Lake, and I went to my grandparents house juse incase we needed to take cover. We did take cover but the brunt of the storm was a few miles southwest of us like Danny said earlier. Thankfully I have been able to get ahold of most of our friends and all of our family and all are ok. The strange thing is the although the storm was being tracked for several hours by the local weather people, the tornado that hit Joplin pretty much dropped out of nowhere. We were hearing of tornado warnings across the state line and then all of the sudden they were screaming that a tornado was on the ground on 15th street. Dad and I went over to see if we could help out in any way possible and honestly didn't accomplish much. By the time we got to the north end of the damage all the houses had been searched and marked. We kept heading south but navigation even by foot was almost impossible because of trees, vehicles, telephone poles, and anything else you can imagine blocking roads and yards. All I could say to dad was this is beyond anything I could imagine. The yards were littered with personal belongings as well as debris like plywood, shingles, ect. There were people carrying whatever they could find like pictures or clothes while they were walking aimlessly down the streets. All I could think is these people worked 30, 40, maybe 60 years to own all the stuff that was taken from them in 5 minutes. St. John's hospital (the weather channel was calling it St. Joeseph's for some reason) got hit very hard. From what I hear the top two floors are gone and they are fearing an explosion because it is on fire and all the Oxygen and chemicals in the hospital. Also it's probably not worth mentioning at such a dark moment but our Academy Sports and Outdoors is gone too. I really don't know what else to say but all of the folks in this area sure could use some prayers.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 12:29 AM   #9
Jrob78

Man, I'm thankful you guys are ok. I will pray for those that weren't so fortunate.
Old 05-23-11, 03:47 AM   #10
1/4 stick

I'm glad you guys are ok Kory. Many prayers going out to those less fortunate.
Old 05-23-11, 10:02 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I just saw all of this and tried to call you. I am glad you, Brit, and Lake are alright. But I will be praying for you and the people up there.
Old 05-23-11, 10:02 AM   #12
MIbasser

Glad you and your family are safe.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 11:33 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Glad to hear you are all okay Kory.

It's a shame how much everyone has lost, there and elsewhere in the country with there have been tornadoes this year. We drove through where one (of three) tornadoes hit the small town my relatives from AL live. An a few weeks later it's still incredible how much damage and destruction is still evident.

BB
Old 05-23-11, 04:42 PM   #14
bcklash

Kory, we are praying for everybody. Glad your family and friends are ok.
Old 05-23-11, 06:00 PM   #15
goearlystalate
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you all for your prayers.My name is Mike I'm Korys cousin.I was talking to my 19 year old daughter as she was getting hit she was right in the middle of it.She had just got home alone from the movies and had just enough time to grab her dog and a blanket and get into the bathroom.Her mom and stepdad were working.He is a fireman and she works at the hospital that didn't get hit.I gotta tell ya I was puking but was pretty surre that she was ok.I got over there as quick as I could(5 miles away) to find her about an hour and a half later and we cried and hugged for about 5 minutes.( I thank God).The devastation Kory nailed to a tee but is pretty much undescribable.The death toll is now up to 116,and still searching.i lost one friend and my wifes cousin is still missing.Please pray for Joplin,Missouri.Thanks guys.
Old 05-23-11, 06:07 PM   #16
bamabassman

praying as i type this guys. after seeing what happened to alabama form tornados i understand. sorry for the loved ones lost. really can't say much more, jsut horrible to see this happen. thank GOD oyu guys are ok.
Old 05-23-11, 07:29 PM   #17
woody

I'm glad that you and your family are alright Kory. Praying for the people of Joplin.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 07:43 PM   #18
WTL

This has been a terrible year. I'm glad that Kory and the family are ok. But there have been so many affected by these storms, they were saying 89 dead in Joplin last I heard. I drove around alabama with the get together and all and counted around 10 different storm paths from different tornadoes that I just happened to cross. BB, Cullman was one of the worst, very similar to tuscaloosa.
Old 05-23-11, 08:51 PM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by goearlystalate View Post
Thank you all for your prayers.My name is Mike I'm Korys cousin.I was talking to my 19 year old daughter as she was getting hit she was right in the middle of it.She had just got home alone from the movies and had just enough time to grab her dog and a blanket and get into the bathroom.Her mom and stepdad were working.He is a fireman and she works at the hospital that didn't get hit.I gotta tell ya I was puking but was pretty surre that she was ok.I got over there as quick as I could(5 miles away) to find her about an hour and a half later and we cried and hugged for about 5 minutes.( I thank God).The devastation Kory nailed to a tee but is pretty much undescribable.The death toll is now up to 116,and still searching.i lost one friend and my wifes cousin is still missing.Please pray for Joplin,Missouri.Thanks guys.
This scarey. I can't imagine talking to my child during something like this. Praise the Lord that her and your family survived.
Old 05-23-11, 08:59 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Guys things are just unreal around here. I didn't work today and wanted to go continue with the search and rescue efforts but with the severe storms we had today I decided to stay home. I felt guilty for staying home because of some bad weather when there are so many people who lost everything to this tornado but it seemed like the right thing to do. I worked on building a rod in the garage today and was listening to the radio, it was gut wrenching. They did wall to wall coverage of the storm and had people calling in from all over the country begging and pleading for anyone who had any information about their loved ones to call them. There were moms who called in crying begging for their babies to call them and they all mentioned the last places that they were known to be before the storm hit, and in most cases these places are gone now. I heard of a lady who was walking around looking for her 3 year old daughter who was ripped out of her arms and hadn't been seen since. Stories like these are making my heart hurt. Like Mike said, the death toll is up to 116 and is expected to continue to go up as the search continues. They said this was the deadliest single tornado in United States history since 1947. Britneys boss is friends with the contractor who was called to prepare the temporary morgue, the Jasper County sheriff told him to prepare it big enough for 300-400 bodies. I don't know if that is the expected number or if that is just them wanted to be over prepared but either way that is a scary number.
Old 05-23-11, 10:05 PM   #21
everettvet

Unreal. not sure what else to say.
Old 05-23-11, 10:11 PM   #22
bamabassman

kory.........do not feel guilty buddy. i watched the news and so far there were over 100 dead. more storms headed oyur way too. take care of oyur family kory. if oyu need a place ot go to, you know oyu are welcome here. i know it is a long drive, but you can come here man. bring britney and laken adn anyone else that wants to come... we got room pal.
i sat down and cried after seeing the news today and thinng aobut all the sotrms that have hit ya'll and us and everywhere here lately. too many loved ones passed. heart breaking stuff..........just breaks our heart.
Old 05-24-11, 12:00 AM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Thanks guys. And John I appreciate the offer but we will be fine, just gonna have to keep our eye on the sky.
Old 05-24-11, 09:17 AM   #24
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My first reaction is shock and dispare than the wanting to help but how to. Prayers are with the familys affectived by these storms.
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 02:05 PM   #25
nofearengineer

I'll say it again...the area looks like an atomic bomb went off. It's almost unbelievable that someone could live through that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.