Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-05, 09:09 PM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crawdads

Ok, some people might not agree with this because they are true believers in using artificials, but maybe I can get some good tips on this.

I am showing my 4 year old different ways to bass fish, and he isn't to much into constantly casting and reeling like what has to be done with lures, so I want to teach him to use live crawdads. Â*The only problem is, I have never fished with live ones before. Â*I use to catch them all the time as a kid. Â*We would shell them and use the meat for bluegills. Â*How would I hook a live one so it can still move around and get some attention?
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 09:57 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Crawdads

BB, the best way I have seen to hook them is with a long shanked hook through the tail where you insert the hook from the underside and come out through the shell, or hook them right behind the head.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:06 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i read somewhere you can glue the hook to it's back with fishin'glue......that's what i read anyway,,,i think.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:07 PM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

I think you want the point of the hook in the first or second joint line of the shell after the fantail joint line. Best to remove the pinchers so they can't grab on to weeds and sticks on the bottom......will be even more effective without the pinchers.

mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:08 PM   #5
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to PackerBasser

if you wrap a rubber band tight around the midsection,and tuck a hook in between shell and rubber band,the crawdad will stay livley 4ever.just watch they"l tangle ya up.
PackerBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:14 PM   #6
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Certain types of craws make holes in the dirt near the water...kinda look like snake holes but more plentiful. Sometimes you can sprinkle a little dirt or sand down the hole and when the craw comes up to push the dirt out, you can grab him.

In a stream, good to have a coffee can with both ends removed....you can trap the craw after moving the rocks they stay under with the can.

To make a craw trap, cut a plastic milk jug near the top but be sure that the sides are still bending in somewhat where you cut the neck and lid off. Now, bury the jug in a stream or lake bottom leaving about an inch exposed all around the top. Take a cheap 25 cent can of fish based cat food and poke holes in the can...set the can on the bottom of the jug and check your traps in the morning. If you are picking up the traps to empty the craws out into your bucket, it's also good to have a few small holes in the bottom of the plastic milk jug to let the water sift out as you lift.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:52 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I always ran the hook through the upper head/chest cavity, just under the shell. I never liked hooking them in the tail, because it takes away from there swimming jumps as I call them. This however probably isn't the best method for keeping them alive long, I do like the glue or rubberband idea though 8).

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.