Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-12, 11:23 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Value of used Shotgun.

I have decided I am going to sell my Remington 1187 12 gauge shotgun, the decoys and decoy bag, what shells I have left and the hunting vest. I doubt I'm ever going to duck hunt again. The shotgun is in excellent condition. Only a slight sctratch on the stock. The blueing still looks like new. It's probably got a couple hundred rounds through it. It's been kept in a case and has all three chokes. I really have no idea what to ask for this gun. A guy I work with goes to gun and knife shows often and he said I should be able to get a little over $500.00 for it. Personally, I find that hard to believe. But I havn't even looked at used shotguns in over 15 years. This gun was purchased new by me. I might even still have the original box. Does anyone here have any idea what it may be worth? I was thinking about selling everything, included for $600.00. There are 18 floating decoys in all, 2 mallard and 6 woodies. The decoys have only been in the water twice. They too are like new.
Old 03-02-12, 12:21 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have no idea myself, but check out gunbroker.com......its like eBay for guns. Looking at other 1187's that have sold recently should give you a ballpark on its value.
Old 03-02-12, 12:56 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Red face

Depending on model they run mid-$600's new (list). Decoy's I have no clue. Since you read my rant selling anything on the secondary market can be a major headache.

Do you have something in mind as a replacement? Used guns are in demand, especially those in good shape. Should you want something else in the way of a firearm, try your LOCAL gun shops (forget BPS or Cabela's). I did very well trading some guns a couple months ago. Some of the pistols I traded got me 80% of what I paid for them a decade ago. I actually did better trading than selling private because, like you, I didn't know their current value and would have priced them lower than I got in trade.

You local shop will probably give you a ballpark appraisal as well, should you just want to sell it. If it doesn't appraise for what you would like to get, you can always keep it - a shotgun is the best home defense weapon there is. Opps, can I say that kind of stuff on a fishing forum? Whatever you decide - good hunting, er I mean luck.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 07:51 AM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Depending on model they run mid-$600's new (list). Decoy's I have no clue. Since you read my rant selling anything on the secondary market can be a major headache.

Do you have something in mind as a replacement? Used guns are in demand, especially those in good shape. Should you want something else in the way of a firearm, try your LOCAL gun shops (forget BPS or Cabela's). I did very well trading some guns a couple months ago. Some of the pistols I traded got me 80% of what I paid for them a decade ago. I actually did better trading than selling private because, like you, I didn't know their current value and would have priced them lower than I got in trade.

You local shop will probably give you a ballpark appraisal as well, should you just want to sell it. If it doesn't appraise for what you would like to get, you can always keep it - a shotgun is the best home defense weapon there is. Opps, can I say that kind of stuff on a fishing forum? Whatever you decide - good hunting, er I mean luck.
I'm not planning on replacing it with another gun, but rather starting a fund for a new boat. Looking at a larger jon, or perhaps something nicer but used. I found my gun selling new for $729.00. The decoys new would run about $179.00. Then figure in the other stuff as well, I would think $600.00 for all of it should be fair. Even have some duck calls to go with it. I'll be sure to check out that web site Daniel mentioned for sure. As for home protection, I have that covered too!
Old 03-02-12, 09:58 AM   #5
MIbasser

Keith, how long of a barrel is on it?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 05:39 PM   #6
bassinbob

Daffy and Donald will be happy.
Old 03-02-12, 06:47 PM   #7
bamabassman

keith, if it is a 32 inch vented rib and in excallant condition. the GUN alone is worth around $650.00 here. now that is if it is gas operated automatic. i have one. but i'll never sell it. family heirloom, my father gave it to me one year for christmas. it goes to a nephew. brother as one too, his goes to his son. each of us also have a M-1 30cal carbine, military issue. 14 round clips, some armor perching shells. a friend gave me a 30 round clip for mine. love that rifle. i also have a .22 cal, single shot bolt action remington rifle my dad gave me. it goes to the same nephew.
Old 03-02-12, 07:27 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Keith, how long of a barrel is on it?
It's a 26 inch barrel with VR. Awsome shooting gun. Hate to sell it really but just sits there not being used. I need a bigger boat a lot more than the gun. That 26 inch barrel works great around ditches and rivers where I hunted for duck, and also for pheasants! Light and fast, and accuarate as all get out.
Old 03-02-12, 07:48 PM   #9
bamabassman

i would still start at $650.00. then add up the rest of the stuff. look up how much the ammo costs and take off 1/4. same with the rest of the stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.