Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-12, 06:10 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Friggin' Frustrated

So I received my reel in the mail today (a Citica 200E) I bought used off ebay for 80 bucks. Here is the description that was used to describe the reel (verbatim from their ad):

TIS AUCTION IS FOR A VERY LIGHTLY USED SHIMANO CITICA 200E RIGHT HANDED REEL, USED A FEW TIMES EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT AND LOOKS GREAT.

Lightly USED my butt!!! If it was lightly used it was very neglected and has sat for a really long time

Looks GREAT!!!! Forgot to mention the boat rash all the top of the reel or include pictures identifying it!

Works GREAT!!! Never mind the fact I have to use 2-3 times the "normal" amount of pressure to release the clutch bar!

I figure at a minimum 40 bucks to have it cleaned and tuned so now I'm into the reel for almost what it cost brand new retail.

I haven't left feedback yet and undecided what type of feedback I'm gonna leave. I'll email the guy first and ask for an explanation.

Thanks for listening to me vent. What would you all do in this situation? Would you just leave feedback or would email and ask for an explanation first?
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 06:40 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

PAYPAL? If you're not happy file a dispute with them, take pictures, return it and get your money back. Leave him honest negative feedback, so others do not get snookered by this seller.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 07:40 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

second boogiemans statement! rebuke and dispute! ask...no DEMAND oyur money back. if no refund is given. make a public statement as to the sellers lack of TRUTH in his statement on the reel. if he is on a fishing site, let the others know what kind of product he is trying to sell.
Old 06-23-12, 07:44 PM   #4
Marty

Quote:
I'll email the guy first and ask for an explanation.
This is the appropriate way to handle a situation before leaving negative feedback, in my opinion. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 11:43 PM   #5
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
PAYPAL? If you're not happy file a dispute with them, take pictures, return it and get your money back. Leave him honest negative feedback, so others do not get snookered by this seller.
Paypal is one of the very few ways I'll do business over internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
second boogiemans statement! rebuke and dispute! ask...no DEMAND oyur money back. if no refund is given. make a public statement as to the sellers lack of TRUTH in his statement on the reel. if he is on a fishing site, let the others know what kind of product he is trying to sell.
Not sure if he's on any websites, I'll check the Texas Fishing forum (one of the largest for Texas I've come across) if there is not a satisfactory resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
This is the appropriate way to handle a situation before leaving negative feedback, in my opinion. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
Email was sent and I was civil, so I'll see what he replies with before I go any further.
Old 06-24-12, 12:08 AM   #6
Bassboss

Hate ebay scammers!

Good luck setting it straight!
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 AM   #7
keithdog

I agree with all the above. If you don't get any resolution and are stuck with the reel, I would send it to Proreel and have it super tuned. True, it will add cost to what you already spent, but your reel will be returned better than new mechanicaly. Plus his prices are very reasonable.
Old 06-24-12, 02:15 PM   #8
USMCbassman

Thanks bassboss; I'm with you.

Keith- That's my intent. I have a feeling he's gonna get all 3 of my reels eventually. Which I have no problems as he comes highly recommended and he's a fellow Kansan.

I received a very childish and immature reply from him which p!$$ed me off even more. It was apparent that he knew what he selling and didn't describe as it was. He was in CYA mode and didn't expect someone to call him out on it.
Old 06-24-12, 03:50 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Thanks bassboss; I'm with you.

Keith- That's my intent. I have a feeling he's gonna get all 3 of my reels eventually. Which I have no problems as he comes highly recommended and he's a fellow Kansan.

I received a very childish and immature reply from him which p!$$ed me off even more. It was apparent that he knew what he selling and didn't describe as it was. He was in CYA mode and didn't expect someone to call him out on it.
So, I assume he didn't offer to take the reel back?
Old 06-24-12, 09:47 PM   #10
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
So, I assume he didn't offer to take the reel back?

LMAO...no, not at all. He offered no sort of resolution what so ever, except trying to explain his 100% positive feedback and I could honestly care less about that. The first line of his response was, "sorry for the mishap" which tells me he knew darn good and well what he was selling. That's ok, I'm gonna leave negative feedback for him and then send the reel in to get a super tune. I'll eat this one and just learn to be much more cautious when buying off eBay.
Old 06-24-12, 10:02 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
LMAO...no, not at all. He offered no sort of resolution what so ever, except trying to explain his 100% positive feedback and I could honestly care less about that. The first line of his response was, "sorry for the mishap" which tells me he knew darn good and well what he was selling. That's ok, I'm gonna leave negative feedback for him and then send the reel in to get a super tune. I'll eat this one and just learn to be much more cautious when buying off eBay.
That sucks. People are dicks sometimes. Like everyone else has said, you could probably contact Ebay and Paypal and get the situation resolved but it might not be worth hassle. The good news is those Shimano reels respond really well to tuning. Pro Reel, if you choose to send it to him, will make it perform better than a new one would.
Old 06-24-12, 10:05 PM   #12
Tavery5

Sorry about your bad luck, I once had a similar thing happen when I purchased an expensive softball bat from an EBAY Scammer. Long story short, I found out his real name and where he lived. I then contacted his local police department and the internet fraud division took over from there. I recieved my money back after about a month.

I also found him on Facebook and sent messages to all of his friends that I could telling them what he had done.
Old 06-24-12, 10:57 PM   #13
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That sucks. People are dicks sometimes. Like everyone else has said, you could probably contact Ebay and Paypal and get the situation resolved but it might not be worth hassle. The good news is those Shimano reels respond really well to tuning. Pro Reel, if you choose to send it to him, will make it perform better than a new one would.
I opened a case against him with eBay, eBay says to give him until July 2nd and then they'll take it from there. Like you said though, a good tune and the reel should be good to go. I'm just frustrated that with the price of a tune, new bearings (if needed) and drag washer (if needed), etc; I'll be well into this reel for more that what it retails new. Granted I'd pay for the tune if it was a new reel and wanted to do such an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Sorry about your bad luck, I once had a similar thing happen when I purchased an expensive softball bat from an EBAY Scammer. Long story short, I found out his real name and where he lived. I then contacted his local police department and the internet fraud division took over from there. I recieved my money back after about a month.

I also found him on Facebook and sent messages to all of his friends that I could telling them what he had done.
I, too, have this guys real name; with the power of the internet and a simple name it's insane what you can uncover or find about an individual. He now has a 98% positive feedback rating vice his precious 100%. If he would have simply offered even the slightest suggestion of a resolution that may have different. It is what it is....

This is my first time being screwed over by someone on eBay and maybe I over reacted, but when basing a purchase off of someone's description and their feedback rating I expect what I pay for and that wasn't the case this time. That may be why I have a hard time selling some of the things I've listed as I'm too honest, however, I try to portray what I want portrayed to me if I were the buyer and I won't compromise my integrity for money.

We'll see what plays out....
Old 06-24-12, 11:30 PM   #14
lilmule

Sometimes sellers are not familiar with what they are actually selling and go by what they were told.I always look at the pics if not present dont buy,then at feedback left to see if any issues and what they normally sell.
If their wernt any pics of it,then chauk it up to experience and dont repeat.
Leaving even neutral feedback requires 5 day wait and contacting the seller not an easy thing anymore to leave bad.Most likly be offered money back minus shipping and have the additional cost of shipping it back really not worth it you end up 20 bucks in the hole or more and no reel at all.
Sometimes third parties enter into it as pack the wrong one maybe two for sale one good one so so or parts reel both same model,have had it happen but seller made it up to me.Yeah mine was shipped to the guy that bought the parts reel,mistakes happen no one got real poed about it as taken care of,so treat as if an accident.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 12:19 AM   #15
USMCbassman

There were pictures of the reel just none showing the boat rash on it. Shoot, there wasn't even any mention of the damage. At this point the only real resolution viable in my opinion is for him to cover a clean and repair (if needed) or reimburse a portion of my money to cover that cost. I read his feedback and he seems to deal a lot with fishing equipment and tackle and had a 100% positive feedback. I rely a lot on buyer feedback, seller's feedback rating, product reviews, etc before jumping the gun and buying something.
Old 06-25-12, 09:08 AM   #16
USMCbassman

LMAO- You have to be kidding me, this is the message I received from this clown on eBay:

I EXPLAINED EVERY THING PERFECTLY , BUT STILL I WAS CALLED A LIER,AND IMMEDIATLY YOU COMPLAINED. DO YOU FEEL BETTER. ID LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU WHEN YOU BUY ANOTHER CITICA AND USE IT FOR FOUR TIMES AND TELL ME HOW SMOOTH IT IS. THEN I SEE YOU ONLY HAVE 2 TRANSACTIONS IN EBAY,IT FIGURES. ARE THERE ANY POST OFFICES NEAR THE TRAILOR PARK YOU LIVE IN. REMEMBER THE ITEM MUST BE EXACTLY AS IT WAS WHEN YOU RECIEVED IT, I AM ALSO A LAWYER THANKS
Old 06-25-12, 10:49 AM   #17
WatterBoy

Wow, clown is right. What a joke. A lawyer? Seriously? Wow, wow, wow...

Sorry you are having to deal with this guy!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 10:59 AM   #18
lilmule

Like I said normally send it back and that costs plus you lose the shipping at other end unless high dollar item not worth it.
Did he misspell liar or later typo?
Old 06-25-12, 12:11 PM   #19
USMCbassman

He has misspelled a lot of words, I highly doubt he is a lawyer. He also misspelled trailer. If he is and I were him I'd go back to the school I received my education from and ask for a reimbursement of tuition for my English/Grammar/Spelling classes.

I'm waiting to see if he is also going to pay return shipping. If he does then I'll send it back. If not then I'll keep it and he have the 80 bucks. Not a big loss...
Old 06-25-12, 12:28 PM   #20
lilmule

Odd as it may seem may very well be one ,english may not be his primary language,many on ebay are from elsewhere.And the moderator who they assign will give the money back if unsatisfied just not the shipping either way so if he does offer it its above and beyond the normal guarantee.Ive been there,sometimes worthwhile sometimes not.
Either way hope it works out for you.
In about 15 years had to file three times,most problems and I had more the seller was glad to assist and ease the pain.Those three wanted to call me names etc,lay the blame elsewhere when third party shipping was involved.Two resolved total refund,one the seller accepted the reel back I was out 20 bucks still,for shipping.
Not all were for reels two for software,to which the keys would not work as they made to many copies.$160 and 280 for software that one can buy for 20 bucks without the keys.
Since then have learned key generator will help-payed for with microsoft lic.
Old 06-25-12, 01:52 PM   #21
bassboogieman

PAYPAL is pretty good with resolving issues. I had one with a seller in Japan over some lures that never reached me. Took a couple months, I think because it was international, but I got my money back.

Sounds like your seller may be a kid. I've read a few stories about "smart as$ kids (who are really stupid sh!ts) scamming on ebay. Their parents don't even know. Some, like the one Tony related, got local police involved and once the parents found out restitution was made. This seller seems like a real a$$ O so I would go after him, relentlessly. Since he's a lawyer he should be familiar with INTERNET FRAUD.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 10:17 PM   #22
USMCbassman

So I've made the decision to eat this one...just shy of flying to Houston and punching this dude/person in the mouth for their idiocy I'm done talking with this guy or dealing with him. I'm humble enough to admit he wore me down; however, it won't change my position or where I stand on the feedback I left for him. As lilmule annotated either way I'm going to end up losing money on this and just as well keep the reel. Dadgumit....

I'm a calm and reserved person and rarely let people get to me....alright enough venting, thanks for listening to me rant. I must say there are truly good here and I thank you for that!

I will expose this person though and ensure their eBay experience is over...a future thread will come for all my fellow fishermen to ensure you don't have an encounter with him or get screwed over...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.