Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-12, 08:14 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Army Reserves?

Ever since I was little I've been interested in joining the service. I'm older now think I've got my career pretty well figured out (athletic training). Only problem is paying for college, and job security is questionable to boot.

Today, an Army rep came to our school and we had a little chit chat.
First thing I asked is the possible careers that offered. Closest thing that came to athletic training was physical therapy... something I've also been looking into, plus the pay is better. Than the rep informed me (more like reminded me lol) of the reserves. I'd be able to pursue my dreams of being a trainer, pay for college, have other career options (being a PT, or do full time service), and have much better job assurance because I'd be a member of the Army.
Plus I'm turning 18 in a couple months so I can sign independently, being a member of the reserves while in high school, then jump right into the roll of thing afterwards. Might just help with the flow of things.

So I guess my question is, is their any members of the reserves here? What have the major benefits for you been, and how has it affected your career?

For for any comments, answers, and opinions guys!
Old 10-16-12, 07:33 AM   #2
bamabassman

sam, i was rejected from all of the armed forces (deaf in one ear), but i ask only this of you. research it to the very last detail. not saying don't do it. BUT, no matter which branch oyu join i am sure they have physical therapy in all of them. if it were me and i were to join today...it would be either the air force or navy. jsut my preference. nothing wrong with being a jarhead or a grunt. army and marines are outstanding branches. jsut RESEARCH your branches to the last "t". good luck buddy.
Old 10-16-12, 08:25 AM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You got a good friend who's going to boot camp soon.
Wait to hear his opinion of his decision.
My guess is if your best friends you probably somewhat like and dislike similar things.
Neighbor kid got like $20,000 for signing up like 3 years ago so like John said, research till you understand EVERYTHING and then research it again.
This idea maybe good, maybe not good.
BUT you can't change your mind later but you can NOW.

Last but not least, while living under your fathers roof you may legally do what ever you want but you MORALLY should include your father in this decision. Not to mention your father seems to be a fairly intelligent man who has a career developing young men and women into good adults. You may not agree but I'm sure he may have some good input on the 'whys' of joining or not joining.

Example of research,
Incentives

The United States Army Recruiting Command gives bonuses for recruiters signing up the specified number of new recruits for that month. For example, $100 for two recruits signed up and an additional $100 for every two recruits there after.

That recruiter may or may not have YOUR interests on the top of his 'to do' list.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4913712_mu...ters-paid.html
and,
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7468445_mu...-reserve_.html
Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by joedog; 10-16-12 at 08:42 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 03:38 PM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good luck!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 05:14 PM   #5
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do your homework before you leap. I spent 20 years in the ANG and I don't regret it. I would look hard at all branches before you decide. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I'd be surprised if the Army didn't send you to the sandbox before you got through your first enlistment despite your MOS.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 06:27 PM   #6
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have spent 22 years in the army . loved every min of it. that said today the army and marines would be my last choice. airfroce or navy. you will get a much better chance at learning a skilled trade. better work enviroment. . but like all the above said check you options. remember the army and marines primery mission is combat arms. boots in the sand ground pounding. what evewr you do make double sure you check the contract and you get what you signed up for recuriters will promise you the world . to get you to join once you are sign you may only get a toilet brush
Old 10-16-12, 06:38 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm still far from committed to it... just gathering my options. I'm a big researcher, so I'll definitely look at this to the last "t" as John said!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.