Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-12, 04:53 PM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Stung a couple Jacks.

Managed a morning out and finished by around early afternoon.

As usual was on the 'cut' and it turned out to be a bit of a weird session, weather started nice then went cold and windy with some rain near the end.

Arrived at a stretch that has produces some nice jacks to see that the other side greenery had been cut! even the trees so a little p*ssed as it was the cover for the pike, fished it either way but no a sniff looks like pike has been spooked and set up shop elsewhere on the 'cut'.

Managed to pull a bird(pigeon) on the rod whilst casting, the daft thing flew straight into the line and crash landed on towpath as it got tangled. My mate p*ssing himself laughing as I'm throwing all sorts of colourful phrases out my mouth whilst trying to help the poor bird... soon enough all got untangled and pigeon flew away, I suspect because it was clean and healthy it must of been one of these homing/racing pigeons.

'stung' two jacks around the same in weight (second a little smaller) on a MH crank 'n' shad in 'yellow hornet', both from same section & on the same lure, yet different markings :? :? :?

The first caught

& the second 'un

After those pair I began to work back to where I started, managing another bunch of colourful vocabulary as I lost the 'hornet' to a underwater snag, after that I then decided to wrap up and get home.

also in the blog:- http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/

Last edited by MrMakk; 11-19-12 at 07:36 PM.
MrMakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 10:05 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nice Jacks you have there Alex! It's a shame you lost the lure. Funny story about the pigeon! hahaha Reminded me of when my dad and I were bass fishing in Florida and a huge pelican dive bombed my dads lure and got hooked. Dad had to reel him in and unhook the bird. The cool thing was the pelican dad hooked was actually very cooperative during the dehooking process and release.
Old 11-20-12, 07:25 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice jacks,the coloration difference is due to what each was sitting on or by or near,a largemouth or small mouth on rocks looks different color wise than one on wood.And just like other things think the spot size may also be different on every fish just as a snowflake is built different.Said think as dont know for sure.
The jacks we have in southern lakes are all head and are grass pike ,chain pickeral,that looks like a northern in many respects,some of you northen guys chime in I dont see them often enough.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 07:53 AM   #4
Dennis1022
BassFishin.Com Member

Really nice Chain or Northerns. Most of the Jacks I've caught had a black line just under the eye going to the jaw. As for the lure, it looks like the next favorite bait is Yellow Perch. But all in all my congrats to catching some nice size Pike. I use to live in the North, but moved to the south over 22 years now! But still love to get those Pike and Muskies, S.M.Bass is really great for fighting. Now you get one of those Pike or Muskies get ready to have a fight on the line. My largest length of a Chain was 7 Lbs forget the ounces and the Muskies it was 46" length. But since I moved to the south haven't caught any Jacks or Muskies, what a shame.
Dennis1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 07:30 PM   #5
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ta chaps,

yep I notice fish tend to have markings and colourations to suit their area and where they lay in wait, although i found these pair to be only a dozen yards between one and other from where they were caught.
Thanks for the interesting posts with regards to how fishing can be over the pond...but I am a UK born and bred, so forgive me for not knowing your northern areas and muskies (embarrassed face)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.